Jump to topic:

Voting Blocks? - Summary of Voting Histories

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 6:53:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Recently there have been allegations of a "Conservative Voting Block" that votes exclusively or almost exclusively in line with the standard conservative position and that engage in the practice of "votebombing." Additionally, there have been counter claims that there in fact exists a "Liberal Voting Block" that behaves in the same manner with respect to liberal political positions.

To shed more light on the issue I took a look at the voting histories of several members of DDO. I will first summarize my methodology and then post a summary of the conclusions. For now I have focused only on the alleged "Conservative Voting Block" (CVB) though I intend to do a follow-up with the alleged "Liberal Voting Block."

Methodology:

I limited my scope to those debates I identified as "hot button issues" that have fairly clear divides between typical liberal/conservative positions in U.S. politics. These issues are:
Hot button issues:
Abortion
Death Penalty
Gay Rights
Economic policy
Healthcare
Gun Control
Immigration
Obama
Global warming

Where votes resulted in a plurality, the vote was accounted according to who won the majority of points. This may be an area for further investigation, as informal observation suggests that a non-plural vote out of line with the conservative position was unobserved in the CBV.

VoteBomb= ANY 7 point vote
This definition was used because of controversy over what constitutes a counter vote bomb. The justification being that any trend in 7 point votes strongly suggests bias either through who is defended via counters or who is punished through bombs. I invite further investigation on this topic. I also included some 6 point votes when the vote was explicitly stated to be a counter.

Vote Bombs were counted separately from general votes.

As best I could I excluded debates that involved forfeits or undeniably lopsided debates (e.g. where one side posts full arguments and the other side posts one or two sentences). I tended to throw debates out where this became questionable. I threw out a lot of debates.
Examples:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... (concession in final round)

The CVB:
Lordknuckle, OberHErr, 16kadams, ConservativePolitico, 1HistoryGenius.

These members were chosen based on allegations made about the constitution of the CVB.

Members not considered part of the CVB or LVB (with ideology):
Raisor (moderate), BlackVoid (none listed), Thett3 (conservative), bluesteel (non listed)

I included myself so that any obvious bias on my part might show up in the study. I included the other 3 members as random members not accused of being in either block.

There are discrepancies in the number of votes in the data due to both the length of the voting history available (newer members have shorter histories) and the propensity of a member to vote on hot button topics.

Results:

The results are listed as four numbers: Two corresponding to general votes and two corresponding to vote bombs. In each case votes agreeing with the conservative positions are listed first and the votes agreeing with liberal positions second. General Votes are listed first, followed by votebombs. Again note that "votebombs" may include 7 point votes intended to counter.

CBV:
Lordknuckle 19-0 4-2
OberHerr 6-1 3-0
16kadams 21-3 5-1
ConservativePolitico 7-1 0-0
1HistoryGenius 8-0 0-0

Other:
Raisor 8-6 1-3
BlackVoid 6-5 2-1
Thett3 7-7 4-2
bluesteel 4-1 0-1

Observations on the Results:

It is immediately apparent that there does seem to be a predilection for voting in line with the conservative position found in the so-called "conservative voting block" that is not found in the general population of DDO. In general the "Others" had votes split evenly between liberal and conservative positions, whereas the CBV has little to no votes in line with the liberal position. While bluesteel seems to show some signs of conservative bias, I am inclined to attribute this to small sample size given his tendency to take positions in favor of abortion and universal healthcare. Additionally, bluesteel has been one of the people decrying the supposed existence of a CVB.

The majority of voting history was dedicated to issues that couldn't be cleanly placed in a ideologically divided hot button issue. A lot of voting was on "fun debates" like rap battles or on philosophical or pop culture issues. To me, this shows that at the very least all members of this community are here with some degree of earnestness. That is, no member appears to be here with the express intent of using the site to push an agenda.

Non-conservative votes from the CBV were often qualified with feelings of remorse or displeasure. For example:
"sadly con won…" (16kadams)
"It pains me to say this, but con won…" (Lordknuckle)

I came across many debates that were years old yet had recent votes on them after a long period of inactivity. Often these votes were in line with the conservative position. Note the vote bombing in this debate (also note the bombs were dropped by low profile members not in the CVB):
This is just an observation and may benefit from further investigation.

The CBV is much more likely to vote on hot button topics than other members.

It is the case that the CBV frequently vote on the same debates and on each other's debates. This could simply be attributed to the fact that I focused on hot button topics and these are the topics this group is more likely to vote on. However, the fact that they overwhelmingly vote in line with each other does provide cause for concern.

I am hesitant to draw conclusions based on the "votebomb" statistics. These votes are fairly sensitive to context and most claimed to be counters to other votebombs. The votebomb issue has always been difficult to deal with and Im not sure what this meager amount of data says.

Finally, here are some comments I made while looking through voting histories:
Lordnuckle- Had a few votes out of line with conservativism but these were all on debates which clearly qualified to be thrown out as explained in the methodology.
OberHerr- As with Lordknukle, occasionally voted out of line with conservative position but only on debates which qualified to be thrown out.
ConservativePolitico- Was likely to give conduct points to the other side in plurality votes. Voted a 3/3 split vote tie in one case.
16kadams- Strong tendency to cast plurality votes. Votes frequently on S/G, conduct, sources. In general seems fairly likely to vote left. This isn't reflected well in the vote count, but on most of his conservative votes he gave some points to the other side in a split decision. A few votes cast where he saw arguments as tied but voted on conduct for forfeit or on SG or sources. I discounted these votes largely, without respect to which side was favored.
1HistoryGenius- Had a tie vote.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 6:57:21 PM
One more stat:
Heres the total votes between the two groups.

CVB
General: 61-5
Votebomb: 12-3

Others:
General 25-19
Votebomb: 7-7

Again, the difference in voting patterns is pretty clear.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 6:58:25 PM
So, does that mean I am, to say, innocent? Or at least not a evil VBer, bent on making sure Liberals don't win any debates?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:00:21 PM
At 1/14/2012 6:58:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:
So, does that mean I am, to say, innocent? Or at least not a evil VBer, bent on making sure Liberals don't win any debates?

I would say it means you are not the worst offender but should take a critical look at the biases you bring to a debate, as it seem as though you are very unlikely to vote for someone defending a liberal position.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:02:34 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:00:21 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/14/2012 6:58:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I would say it means you are not the worst offender but should take a critical look at the biases you bring to a debate, as it seem as though you are very unlikely to vote for someone defending a liberal position.

Hm, well thanks for doing this. Hopefully it will clear a lot of stuff up.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:04:26 PM
At 1/14/2012 6:53:55 PM, Raisor wrote:
Recently there have been allegations of a "Conservative Voting Block" that votes exclusively or almost exclusively in line with the standard conservative position and that engage in the practice of "votebombing." Additionally, there have been counter claims that there in fact exists a "Liberal Voting Block" that behaves in the same manner with respect to liberal political positions.

To shed more light on the issue I took a look at the voting histories of several members of DDO. I will first summarize my methodology and then post a summary of the conclusions. For now I have focused only on the alleged "Conservative Voting Block" (CVB) though I intend to do a follow-up with the alleged "Liberal Voting Block."

Methodology:

I limited my scope to those debates I identified as "hot button issues" that have fairly clear divides between typical liberal/conservative positions in U.S. politics. These issues are:
Hot button issues:
Abortion
Death Penalty
Gay Rights
Economic policy
Healthcare
Gun Control
Immigration
Obama
Global warming

Where votes resulted in a plurality, the vote was accounted according to who won the majority of points. This may be an area for further investigation, as informal observation suggests that a non-plural vote out of line with the conservative position was unobserved in the CBV.

This definition was used because of controversy over what constitutes a counter vote bomb. The justification being that any trend in 7 point votes strongly suggests bias either through who is defended via counters or who is punished through bombs. I invite further investigation on this topic. I also included some 6 point votes when the vote was explicitly stated to be a counter.

As best I could I excluded debates that involved forfeits or undeniably lopsided debates (e.g. where one side posts full arguments and the other side posts one or two sentences). I tended to throw debates out where this became questionable. I threw out a lot of debates.
Examples:

The CVB:

These members were chosen based on allegations made about the constitution of the CVB.

Raisor (moderate), BlackVoid (none listed), Thett3 (conservative), bluesteel (non listed)

I included myself so that any obvious bias on my part might show up in the study. I included the other 3 members as random members not accused of being in either block.

There are discrepancies in the number of votes in the data due to both the length of the voting history available (newer members have shorter histories) and the propensity of a member to vote on hot button topics.

Results:

The results are listed as four numbers: Two corresponding to general votes and two corresponding to vote bombs. In each case votes agreeing with the conservative positions are listed first and the votes agreeing with liberal positions second. General Votes are listed first, followed by votebombs. Again note that "votebombs" may include 7 point votes intended to counter.

CBV:
Lordknuckle 19-0 4-2
OberHerr 6-1 3-0
16kadams 21-3 5-1
1HistoryGenius 8-0 0-0

Other:
Raisor 8-6 1-3
BlackVoid 6-5 2-1
Thett3 7-7 4-2
bluesteel 4-1 0-1

It is immediately apparent that there does seem to be a predilection for voting in line with the conservative position found in the so-called "conservative voting block" that is not found in the general population of DDO. In general the "Others" had votes split evenly between liberal and conservative positions, whereas the CBV has little to no votes in line with the liberal position. While bluesteel seems to show some signs of conservative bias, I am inclined to attribute this to small sample size given his tendency to take positions in favor of abortion and universal healthcare. Additionally, bluesteel has been one of the people decrying the supposed existence of a CVB.

The majority of voting history was dedicated to issues that couldn't be cleanly placed in a ideologically divided hot button issue. A lot of voting was on "fun debates" like rap battles or on philosophical or pop culture issues. To me, this shows that at the very least all members of this community are here with some degree of earnestness. That is, no member appears to be here with the express intent of using the site to push an agenda.

Non-conservative votes from the CBV were often qualified with feelings of remorse or displeasure. For example:

I came across many debates that were years old yet had recent votes on them after a long period of inactivity. Often these votes were in line with the conservative position. Note the vote bombing in this debate (also note the bombs were dropped by low profile members not in the CVB):

It is the case that the CBV frequently vote on the same debates and on each other's debates. This could simply be attributed to the fact that I focused on hot button topics and these are the topics this group is more likely to vote on. However, the fact that they overwhelmingly vote in line with each other does provide cause for concern.

I am hesitant to draw conclusions based on the "votebomb" statistics. These votes are fairly sensitive to context and most claimed to be counters to other votebombs. The votebomb issue has always been difficult to deal with and Im not sure what this meager amount of data says.

Lordnuckle- Had a few votes out of line with conservativism but these were all on debates which clearly qualified to be thrown out as explained in the methodology.
OberHerr- As with Lordknukle, occasionally voted out of line with conservative position but only on debates which qualified to be thrown out.
ConservativePolitico- Was likely to give conduct points to the other side in plurality votes. Voted a 3/3 split vote tie in one case.
16kadams- Strong tendency to cast plurality votes. Votes frequently on S/G, conduct, sources. In general seems fairly likely to vote left. This isn't reflected well in the vote count, but on most of his conservative votes he gave some points to the other side in a split decision. A few votes cast where he saw arguments as tied but voted on conduct for forfeit or on SG or sources. I discounted these votes largely, without respect to which side was favored.

for the falcon debate knukle conceded.

Also for the other one I said PM me if you wanted more info on why he won/lost. So 1 was justified, the other was an invitation for more info, read my RFD's
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:06:45 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:05:21 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Nothing like the cold hard facts.

What are you implying?

*Looks at OMGJB suspiciously....*

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:07:22 PM
"Votes frequently on S/G, conduct, sources. In general seems fairly likely to vote left."

Does it matter if I vote those things frequently?

Also me voting left = I do not vote based on opinion.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:12:28 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:07:22 PM, 16kadams wrote:
"Votes frequently on S/G, conduct, sources. In general seems fairly likely to vote left."

Well, no. Looking at the stats you are very very unlikely to vote overall to the left. You are very likely to give points to the left is all. The stats say you vote in line with the conservative position roughly 90% of the time- this strongly suggests you vote more based on your own beliefs than the debate at hand.

Furthermore there is the concern that members of the so-called CBV tend to vote heavily on each other's debates and on the same debates. This give credence to the idea that there is some sort of "block" rather than just a bunch of biased people.

And in general those topics are not voted on except in extreme circumstances.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:12:56 PM

Hey broski Ima be looking at your history next.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:13:22 PM
wait I VB 5-1 of the time !

P.S. I recently have better RFD's
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:14:35 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:12:56 PM, Raisor wrote:

Hey broski Ima be looking at your history next.

I got nothing to hide, go ahead.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:17:48 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:12:28 PM, Raisor wrote:

Well, no. Looking at the stats you are very very unlikely to vote overall to the left. You are very likely to give points to the left is all. The stats say you vote in line with the conservative position roughly 90% of the time- this strongly suggests you vote more based on your own beliefs than the debate at hand.

Furthermore there is the concern that members of the so-called CBV tend to vote heavily on each other's debates and on the same debates. This give credence to the idea that there is some sort of "block" rather than just a bunch of biased people.

1. I understand now. Never knew I voted right so many times. I try to be fair though, my new votes are improved though. Also did you take into account my recent towards towards the left?
2. We ask people to vote then hoping their friends will see " so and so voted on abortion" bringing in other people. I also ask them to have valid RFD's and to vote against me if they like.
3. ok.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:21:56 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:17:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:

1. I understand now. Never knew I voted right so many times. I try to be fair though, my new votes are improved though. Also did you take into account my recent towards towards the left?
2. We ask people to vote then hoping their friends will see " so and so voted on abortion" bringing in other people. I also ask them to have valid RFD's and to vote against me if they like.
3. ok.

This post is not at all meant to be accusatory or intended as a witch hunt. The outcome I would most hope for is that the people involved simply take the cue that they need to be more critical of how they are forming RFDs. Its easy to overlook our own bias, which is why I included myself in the study.

I took into account the entirety of your history so I cant comment on recent trends.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:22:12 PM

+1
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:25:26 PM
Nice analysis Raisor. Wish I could have my own voting history analyzed as well to see if there was any subconscious bias. Anyways, how did you do it for members with a large number of votes? For instance BlackVoid voted over 380 times. Did you count every single vote?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:33:01 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:25:26 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Nice analysis Raisor. Wish I could have my own voting history analyzed as well to see if there was any subconscious bias. Anyways, how did you do it for members with a large number of votes? For instance BlackVoid voted over 380 times. Did you count every single vote?

Most votes werent for any of the "hot button" issues. Its hard to see bias in a vote on whether utilitarianism can uphold justice or whether plankton would beat spongebob.

On top of that, probably 1/3 of hot button debates I threw out because of forfeits concessions or wildly disproportionate debates.

Specifically related to BlackVoid, I made this comment in my notes:
"Votes on a lot of poor quality debates (e.g. forfeited rounds and concessions)."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:33:27 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:21:56 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/14/2012 7:17:48 PM, 16kadams wrote:

3. ok.

This post is not at all meant to be accusatory or intended as a witch hunt. The outcome I would most hope for is that the people involved simply take the cue that they need to be more critical of how they are forming RFDs. Its easy to overlook our own bias, which is why I included myself in the study.

I took into account the entirety of your history so I cant comment on recent trends.

oh. My former history kills it then, it was like this week where I noticed I sucked at voting, so I fixed it recently.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:42:13 PM
Where do you think I am?
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:55:36 PM
One of my RFD's where sadly con won, but you forgot to mention pro conceded so that vote is justified.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 8:15:00 PM
At 1/14/2012 8:10:11 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Of course, this issue could be settled in about 5 minutes if we could only run queries on the master DDO databases...

YEP
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 9:08:39 PM
At 1/14/2012 6:53:55 PM, Raisor wrote:

Methodology:

Hot button issues:
Abortion
Death Penalty
Gay Rights
Economic policy
Healthcare
Gun Control
Immigration
Obama
Global warming

Examples:

The CVB:

Results:

CBV:
Lordknuckle 19-0 4-2
OberHerr 6-1 3-0
16kadams 21-3 5-1
1HistoryGenius 8-0 0-0

Other:
Raisor 8-6 1-3
BlackVoid 6-5 2-1
Thett3 7-7 4-2
bluesteel 4-1 0-1

Holy f*ck how much free time do you have?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 9:16:10 PM
At 1/14/2012 9:08:39 PM, Wnope wrote:

coming from the guy who argued with the same person for 1,000 forum posts lol
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 9:52:10 PM
At 1/14/2012 9:16:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/14/2012 9:08:39 PM, Wnope wrote:

coming from the guy who argued with the same person for 1,000 forum posts lol

Touche.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 9:55:31 PM
See, I never vote bomb and out of the 70 some odd votes iv cast only 8 are on hot button topics.

Is it safe to say im a decent member of this site?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 12:08:59 AM
At 1/14/2012 9:55:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
See, I never vote bomb and out of the 70 some odd votes iv cast only 8 are on hot button topics.

depends on who you ask I think your a great member of the site, but other probably won't. Like 1/2 of the site hate me now...
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 12:14:48 AM
At 1/15/2012 12:08:59 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/14/2012 9:55:31 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

depends on who you ask I think your a great member of the site, but other probably won't. Like 1/2 of the site hate me now...

I don't mind you overmuch, you generally concede lost points (glares at Gileandos). Besides, some of the things you say are pure gold (my signature).

I don't think I've ever really talked to 16k... Hi.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico