My hippie-like question to DDO.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:25:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can't we all just get along?

Like, I understand this is a debate site, and many people here have slightly inflated egos, so I know that clash and disagreement are inevitable, but really now: can we not just debate and argue in a respectful way.

I've seen just about enough mud-slinging back and forth, here.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:28:58 PM
We can try to, but people like 000ike and Jimtimmy will constantly battle each other out. Oh, and include Gileandos with his passionate, overinflated religious views as well as others.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:29:51 PM
This Conservative influx has been like lighting a match in a chamber of pressurized methane, the uproar was unavoidable.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 7:50:45 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:29:51 PM, 000ike wrote:
This Conservative influx has been like lighting a match in a chamber of pressurized methane, the uproar was unavoidable.

This^ is why DNinja. This^ is why.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:33:42 AM
Interesting how this thread was relatively ignored for the clash-oriented threads elsewhere. :/
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2012 8:35:57 AM
At 1/15/2012 8:33:42 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Interesting how this thread was relatively ignored for the clash-oriented threads elsewhere. :/

Is kinda interesting.....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:56:34 AM
I really am starting to appreciate this. Before I thought it was just over the conservatives vs liberal voting blocks war that is allegedly going on, but after seeing all this race stuff going on with JimTimmy and a couple people try to shove their political endorsements down people's throats, it really is sad to see...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 8:45:52 AM
At 1/29/2012 12:56:34 AM, imabench wrote:
I really am starting to appreciate this. Before I thought it was just over the conservatives vs liberal voting blocks war that is allegedly going on, but after seeing all this race stuff going on with JimTimmy and a couple people try to shove their political endorsements down people's throats, it really is sad to see...

No he doesnt force you to believe anything. Just him and Ike flame war it out.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:47:33 PM
At 1/29/2012 8:45:52 AM, 16kadams wrote:

I wasnt referring to JimTimmy and Ike im referring to people like GeoLaurate and Ron_Paul who are complete d*cks towards anyone who doesnt agree with them
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:07:23 PM
At 1/14/2012 7:25:58 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Like, I understand this is a debate site, and many people here have slightly inflated egos, so I know that clash and disagreement are inevitable, but really now: can we not just debate and argue in a respectful way.

Yep. Yep. Yep.
I totally agree with this
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:10:31 PM
At 1/29/2012 3:07:23 PM, Yarely wrote:

Yep. Yep. Yep.

And this now has new relevance since DK is going. I would like people to stop fussing with each other and actually get their point across--not an insult, a point.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 6:08:47 PM
At 1/29/2012 3:10:31 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Yep. Yep. Yep.

And this now has new relevance since DK is going. I would like people to stop fussing with each other and actually get their point across--not an insult, a point.

+1

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 7:52:40 PM

I kinda think the drama is interesting. And I think alot of people secretly like it too. Humans have always been attracted to drama. That's why junk like jersey shore gets so popular.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 8:02:07 PM

Yep. Yep. Yep.

It would help if ike, Ren, Oryus, Danielle, and I were not called morons every time JT realized that he has no idea how to refute an argument that we make.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 8:08:11 PM
At 1/29/2012 8:02:07 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yep. Yep. Yep.

It would help if ike, Ren, Oryus, Danielle, and I were not called morons every time JT realized that he has no idea how to refute an argument that we make.

I agree that Jimmy does like his Ad Hom, but he's not the sole driver of the ad hom epidemic. Ike is doing his fair share, also.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:31:45 PM
At 1/29/2012 8:08:11 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Yep. Yep. Yep.

I agree that Jimmy does like his Ad Hom, but he's not the sole driver of the ad hom epidemic. Ike is doing his fair share, also.

As has Royal.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 12:15:12 AM
At 1/29/2012 9:31:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/29/2012 8:08:11 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

As has Royal.

+1, +1, +1

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 1:49:48 AM
Consensus, would be the death knell of this site. However, bad behavior just degrades the site, but so too does the vast quantities of ingnorant and foolishly closed minded posts that seem to have filled this site.

DDO has suffered a significant degradation of intellectual excellence over the last year or so. This is not a right-left thing, not at all, because I've seen people who claim to ally themselves with both sides, who cling to emotional rhetoric, and shallow arguments. There was a time when the arguments got incredibly heated, but only required sharper and deeper arguments, not immediate polarizing. I admit I have fallen into this from time to time recently, because the frustration with the people who are arguing is just too idiotic to warrant a response with intellectual gravity.

I would like to see a return to a time when we were forced to do more research to support our arguments and positions, instead of the simple disimissal and identification of moronic arguments and positions.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:37:38 AM
"I love to disturb people, because only by disturbing I can make them think. They have stopped thinking for centuries. Nobody has been there to disturb them. People having been consoling them. I'm not going to console anybody. Because the more you console them, the more retarded they remain. Disturb them! Shock them! Hit them hard! Give them challenge! That challenge will bring their capacities to their climax." -- Osho
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 12:22:30 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:47:33 PM, imabench wrote:

I wasnt referring to JimTimmy and Ike im referring to people like GeoLaurate and Ron_Paul who are complete d*cks towards anyone who doesnt agree with them

My posts are not about endorsing Ron Paul, my posts are about the New World Order and part of the solution is Ron Paul because he is the only anti-NWO candidate.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:11:42 PM

I find it funny that people who don't understand Ron Paul just decide to hate him. You need to learn things about Ron Paul. And what in the crap do you mean by "are complete d*cks towards anyone who doesnt agree with them"?
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 1:47:00 PM

A lot of debates are respectful, not sure what you're talking about. I mean, it's easy too differentiate between the respectful and the rude people. I bet, you don't consider whom you're debating and so find yourself in uncomfortable, hostile debates.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 3:29:08 PM
At 1/31/2012 12:11:42 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:

I find it funny that people who don't understand Ron Paul just decide to hate him. You need to learn things about Ron Paul. And what in the crap do you mean by "are complete d*cks towards anyone who doesnt agree with them"?

Well take Geolaurate8 over here, in his thread about how Ron paul will win UnStupendous Man gave his two cents over the matter then GeoLaurate8 turned into supreme dick mode and went ahead and called him a "NWO mind control slave puppet." without being provoked

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 3:30:16 PM
At 1/31/2012 3:29:08 PM, imabench wrote:

Well take Geolaurate8 over here, in his thread about how Ron paul will win UnStupendous Man gave his two cents over the matter then GeoLaurate8 turned into supreme dick mode and went ahead and called him a "NWO mind control slave puppet." without being provoked

Another example: JT did not like the analysis that I provided from a Cornell professor, so he called him retarded and worthless.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 4:10:23 PM
At 1/31/2012 3:30:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/31/2012 3:29:08 PM, imabench wrote:

Another example: JT did not like the analysis that I provided from a Cornell professor, so he called him retarded and worthless.

I remember seeing that too