Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Saving Debates, Goddamn!!

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:44:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can we invest in some better saving mechanisms, because this isn't the first time I've lost hours of typing because of something random. I had typed my argument for a debate and clicked "review," and then edited it again. I clicked out thinking it was saved because of the message in grey at the bottom that says "last saved." Next time I clicked on it later, I only saw 1 sentence saved out of the entire argument. So, I retyped the entire thing in 3 hours, this time I took precautions and copied and pasted my argument in MS Word, then my computer shut down for updates without telling me, and the whole thing once again disappeared. I opened word thinking it would have autosaved, but for some reason, it said it could not open the file! Then I typed the whole thing again and now it doesn't sound as good as it originally did.

I think this should be up there on the pressing things to fix. This isn't the first time its happened.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:50:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I bet you're annoyed. I would be raging after something like this. Good luck on your debate.

On your point, that would be good idea. Probably not going to happen, but it's a good idea.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:51:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
agree on my overpopulation debate, 5 tries.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:00:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most definitely a priority in my opinion for the site. I've had this happen to me enough times to not type up my case on the site.

The simplest solution is to type up your case in a word processor and save frequently. Of course, this often results in worse looking (I've had wierd spacing before) cases, but it's unavoidable.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:12:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree. I think the autosave feature was actually better with Phil, oddly enough. I've lost debate arguments repeatedly.
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:12:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I had thought about making a meme with the paranoid parrot (http://i.qkme.me...) that says:

"half of debate round stored on DDO

Save in word document just in case"
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:13:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/17/2012 8:12:01 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I had thought about making a meme with the paranoid parrot (http://i.qkme.me...) that says:

"half of debate round stored on DDO

Save in word document just in case"

I just c/p it before I press review and if it does it's log out of DDO I just log back in and c/p it back.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:17:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah we have all been there. The only way I know of is to save every now and then in MS Word.

Instead of this flawed auto save of DDO how about in debates you can manually save your work just like you would in word ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:17:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You know what I do?

I always open up Google Docs (They save automatically after you edit them) and occasionally C/P arguments in there just in case.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:29:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
FML?

No but seriously ya'll all dumb-bells. Just write up your argument in a gmail draft like I do.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:32:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/18/2012 6:29:33 PM, phantom wrote:
FML?

No but seriously ya'll all dumb-bells. Just write up your argument in a gmail draft like I do.

Well, now that I know MS Word is unreliable, I'll try that. How was I supposed to know MS Word would just dump all my writing? Usually, word auto saves when theres a spontaneous shut down, but it didn't...its as if something did not want me to make that argument lol.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
MasterKage
Posts: 1,257
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:34:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/18/2012 6:32:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/18/2012 6:29:33 PM, phantom wrote:
FML?

No but seriously ya'll all dumb-bells. Just write up your argument in a gmail draft like I do.

Well, now that I know MS Word is unreliable, I'll try that. How was I supposed to know MS Word would just dump all my writing? Usually, word auto saves when theres a spontaneous shut down, but it didn't...its as if something did not want me to make that argument lol.

Use Open Office?
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:37:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/18/2012 6:32:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/18/2012 6:29:33 PM, phantom wrote:
FML?

No but seriously ya'll all dumb-bells. Just write up your argument in a gmail draft like I do.

Well, now that I know MS Word is unreliable, I'll try that. How was I supposed to know MS Word would just dump all my writing? Usually, word auto saves when theres a spontaneous shut down, but it didn't...its as if something did not want me to make that argument lol.

But the first part you were bellyaching ;) about ddo not saving it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 11:20:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/18/2012 6:32:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/18/2012 6:29:33 PM, phantom wrote:
FML?

No but seriously ya'll all dumb-bells. Just write up your argument in a gmail draft like I do.

Well, now that I know MS Word is unreliable, I'll try that. How was I supposed to know MS Word would just dump all my writing? Usually, word auto saves when theres a spontaneous shut down, but it didn't...its as if something did not want me to make that argument lol.

How do you figure that MS word is unreliable? I have a personal folder on my desktop, in it I have a document titled "Debate". I always type my arguments in this document so I can just click the save icon in the upper left anytime I need to walk away, or just for the heck of it. The next time I need to write an argument I just open up the same document, erase everything and start over. That way I always know where my latest argument is, and I always have it saved.

Pasting the argument into the debate space is a little tricky at first, but is easy once you figure it out.