RFD Info

JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:03:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
DDOheads,

Mandatory RFD was an issue that was often debated in the older days of DDC/DDO. I haven't been to DDO in many months, so imagine my surprise that RFD is now a reality. This has piqued my curiosity because we often discussed the potential implications. So my questions:

1. How does RFD work in practice? Does it do what we theorized it would?
2. How do you feel about mandatory RFD, now that it has been implemented for quite some time?
3. What are the pros and cons to RFD?
4. Do you feel RFD is, on balance, a positive policy for DDO?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:08:58 PM
At 1/18/2012 4:03:03 PM, JBlake wrote:
DDOheads,

Mandatory RFD was an issue that was often debated in the older days of DDC/DDO. I haven't been to DDO in many months, so imagine my surprise that RFD is now a reality. This has piqued my curiosity because we often discussed the potential implications. So my questions:

2. How do you feel about mandatory RFD, now that it has been implemented for quite some time?

In practice people post politically motivated 5-7 point ballots with vague RFDs. Then, politically motivated countervotes are placed that accuse the initial voted of posting vague RFDs. Finally, the original debaters PM Roy to get a vote that bears any relevance to the actual debate.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:28:27 PM
At 1/18/2012 4:08:58 PM, Raisor wrote:
DDOheads,

In practice people post politically motivated 5-7 point ballots with vague RFDs. Then, politically motivated countervotes are placed that accuse the initial voted of posting vague RFDs. Finally, the original debaters PM Roy to get a vote that bears any relevance to the actual debate.

lol
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:32:45 PM
At 1/18/2012 4:08:58 PM, Raisor wrote:
DDOheads,

Fair enough, but there are cases where clear misinformed votes can be spotted and thus countered legitimately. In a serious debate RFDs should be at least a paragraph, in less serious ones or more lopsided ones the length is less important.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:38:37 PM
I do support RFDs as it allows us to get inside the head of the voter. As debates become more intense the voter field, in terms of legitimate voting ability, is narrowed. On certain highly intellectual debates I would immediately disregard the judgments of some users just granted their ability to intellectual grasp the topic.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:23:05 PM
I think the results are mixed.

In general, it seems to me that fewer people are voting, particularly on difficult debates. If it's really obvious who has won, then there are many votes but if it's close some people don't want to suffer the criticism of the other side. Also, it's sometimes hard to say exactly why you thought one side had a small edge, even though you thought one had the advantage. I think it encourages the "friends vote for friends" theme, because it puts people on record and they don't want to alienate their friends.

The good effect is that has provoked more discussion on voting, and especially the grounds for voting each category. There have been threads on what it takes to lose Conduct and other such subjects. So fewer people vote, but some who do are more thoughtful about it.

I was against the mandatory RFD originally, but now I'm neutral. It has advantages and disadvantages.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:01:22 PM
At 1/18/2012 6:23:05 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Thanks, Roy. That is exactly what I was looking for. When most of the site went through a phase in which RFD was expected (but not required) there was lots of debate on what should be taken into consideration for each topic. For the most part everyone continued with their own interpretation of the categories. On the other hand, decline in the number of voters was an expected outcome, especially since it is an open ballot.

Do you think making it a secret ballot/RFD would make any difference? I am thinking particularly of the trend of voting for friends to avoid insulting them.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:57:08 PM
At 2/2/2012 2:01:22 PM, JBlake wrote:

Do you think making it a secret ballot/RFD would make any difference? I am thinking particularly of the trend of voting for friends to avoid insulting them.

That's an interesting thought. I suspect that would basically return the system to thoughtless voting. Open voting puts some social pressure to vote semi-reasonably, but an anonymous RFD could be unreasonable without fear of direct criticism.

I vote on a lot of debates, and get a lot of blow back. I'm usually willing to go into it at greater length as a way to improve the quality of debates and our debators, although not everyone is convinced. I suspect many people don't want the burden of those discussions.

Raising the standards for eligibility to vote helps. Now people must complete three debates to get the right to vote. Maybe that could be raised a little more, maybe to winning one or two as well.