Jump to topic:

DDO and SOPA

ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:14:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I haven't been on in over 7 months. The recent announcement of the SOPA and PIPA bills immediately made me think of the site that was dearest to me the longest while,and that was DDO. So, knowing my nerdy self, I went and did some research on PIPA and SOPA, and compared them to DDO. Here is what I found:

Facts:
- Debate.org, as a whole, would not be blocked by the passage of either bill. However, the main forums of the site and all debates pertaining to entertainment, news, etc, will be blocked from further use due to "Light Copyright Infringement". Even if the purpose of it is to debate.

- The forums that would be shut down would probably be:
- News
- Entertainment
- Sports
- (Maybe) Games

I'll add more as my research continues.

The point is, if you live in the United States, just make a quick 5 minute phone call to your local representative, and tell him or her you disagree.

If you live outside the US, well...point and laugh.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:15:20 PM
At 1/18/2012 4:14:15 PM, ChristianM wrote:
I haven't been on in over 7 months. The recent announcement of the SOPA and PIPA bills immediately made me think of the site that was dearest to me the longest while,and that was DDO. So, knowing my nerdy self, I went and did some research on PIPA and SOPA, and compared them to DDO. Here is what I found:

Facts:
- Debate.org, as a whole, would not be blocked by the passage of either bill. However, the main forums of the site and all debates pertaining to entertainment, news, etc, will be blocked from further use due to "Light Copyright Infringement". Even if the purpose of it is to debate.

- News
- Entertainment
- Sports
- (Maybe) Games

The point is, if you live in the United States, just make a quick 5 minute phone call to your local representative, and tell him or her you disagree.

Oh, and BTW this is usafkid1121 from ages ago.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:53:27 PM
At 1/18/2012 4:14:15 PM, ChristianM wrote:

Facts:

- News
- Entertainment
- Sports
- (Maybe) Games

They will do what they want with the bill regardless of our input, don't you think?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:01:46 PM
Hopefully SOPA won't pass.

I know some sites are protesting it. I know wikipedia and epicmafia are protesting it. And I think 4Chan is protesting it, but I'm not sure.

And obviously DDO is protesting. At least the majority of DDO are against it.

Your research is interesting. Looking forward to anymore you may gather.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:04:07 PM
Somebody just said that Obama is trying to bring SOPA down. Is this true? From my understanding it's the US congress that comes up with these bills rather than the president himself...
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:10:28 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:04:07 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Somebody just said that Obama is trying to bring SOPA down. Is this true? From my understanding it's the US congress that comes up with these bills rather than the president himself...

Really? That is very interesting.

Who informed you of this?

Frankly, if this information is correct, I have just gained more respect for Obama.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:12:19 PM
Considering the extreme unpopularity of this proposal, you have to wonder, who's the ignoramus that thought of it?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:13:08 PM

They also said that Obama was against NDAA,and obama "reluctantly" signed the bill... but all is fine and dandy because "This law won't be enforced while I am in office." It's all just bull and conjecture to get the public to think a certain thing about it and be less concerned.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:13:29 PM

Oh and Obama can veto it, so he does have some power of preventing SOPA, but then the bill goes to some other party to have the final decision to make the bill into a law.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:14:11 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:10:28 PM, MasterKage wrote:

Frankly, if this information is correct, I have just gained more respect for Obama.

Somebody on Facebook said it, but I have no idea where their info came from. I hope it's true though...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:14:51 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:13:29 PM, MasterKage wrote:

Oh and Obama can veto it, so he does have some power of preventing SOPA, but then the bill goes to some other party to have the final decision to make the bill into a law.

I figured so. Sorry, I'm not American so I'm not an expert on how your system works.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:20:30 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:14:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Somebody on Facebook said it, but I have no idea where their info came from. I hope it's true though...

Well I wouldn't really consider Facebook a reliable source of informaton, although there is the possibilty that this is correct, hopefully.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:21:27 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:20:30 PM, MasterKage wrote:
At 1/18/2012 5:14:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Well I wouldn't really consider Facebook a reliable source of informaton, although there is the possibilty that this is correct, hopefully.

Yea I'm taking it with a grain of salt until I can find more info.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:22:32 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:14:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/18/2012 5:13:29 PM, MasterKage wrote:

I figured so. Sorry, I'm not American so I'm not an expert on how your system works.

Yes well I am not an expert on the process of a bill becoming l law, but I have the basic and essential information needed to understand it.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:24:36 PM
Heil SOPA!

But seriously, it needs to pass. Stealing music is no different than going to a store and stealing a CD.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:27:40 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:24:36 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Heil SOPA!

But seriously, it needs to pass. Stealing music is no different than going to a store and stealing a CD.

I personally pay for most of my music(iTunes ftw), but I'm against the bill since it will result in many of my favourite sites being censored and taken down.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:28:47 PM
Heil SOPA!

*Sigh* LK, you still support this?

This is such a horrible bill. If this passes numerous websites will be shutdown, with the possibilty of DDO shuting down.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:35:59 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:28:47 PM, MasterKage wrote:
Heil SOPA!

This is such a horrible bill. If this passes numerous websites will be shutdown, with the possibilty of DDO shuting down.

Sites that are violating LAW deserve to get shut down.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:36:45 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:27:40 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Heil SOPA!

I personally pay for most of my music(iTunes ftw), but I'm against the bill since it will result in many of my favourite sites that are hosting illegal content being censored and rightfully taken down for violating law.

Fixed.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:40:14 PM
I hope you know that the vast majority of pirated contents is stored in international servers, meaning that the U.S. will not be able to touch them.

SOPA does nothing but violate freedom of expression in order to promote corporate control.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:43:05 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:36:45 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Heil SOPA!

I personally pay for most of my music(iTunes ftw), but I'm against the bill since it will result in many of my favourite sites that are hosting illegal content being censored and rightfully taken down for violating law.

Fixed.

Using your logic we might as well just shut down the internet altogether.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:43:30 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:35:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Heil SOPA!

No. You need to research SOPA more. It won't just shut law breaking sites. It'll shut down sites/forums that plagarize in some way. So websites will be shut down when one fool breaks the law.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:44:26 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:43:30 PM, MasterKage wrote:
Heil SOPA!

No. You need to research SOPA more. It won't just shut law breaking sites. It'll shut down sites/forums that plagarize in some way. So websites will be shut down when one fool breaks the law.

He is not going to do research because he favors governmental restriction of liberty. He will support it regardless of its purpose.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:48:06 PM
Heil SOPA!

Right. So now plagiarizing is good and accepted? It's not going to shut down a forum if let's say Royalpaladin copies and pastes something from Wikipedia. It will shut it down if Juggle plagiarizes something.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:48:33 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:43:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/18/2012 5:36:45 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Heil SOPA!

Fixed.

No. Let's shut down portions of the internet that violate law. Leave the other stuff.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:49:07 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:44:26 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Heil SOPA!

He is not going to do research because he favors governmental restriction of liberty. He will support it regardless of its purpose.

That is partially correct. I will in fact do more research, but I do support government restriction of social liberty.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:50:58 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:48:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

No. Let's shut down portions of the internet that violate law. Leave the other stuff.

Well if it's passes we might as well just shut down the internet since there'll virtually be nothing left due to a few semantics. Also, I find this whole thing hilarious, considering the US was just criticizing China and Iran for censoring the internet. What a bunch of hypocrites.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:51:12 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:49:07 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Heil SOPA!

That is partially correct. I will in fact do more research, but I do support government restriction of social liberty.

OMG -- another one.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:51:34 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:50:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/18/2012 5:48:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Well if it's passes we might as well just shut down the internet since there'll virtually be nothing left due to a few semantics. Also, I find this whole thing hilarious, considering the US was just criticizing China and Iran for censoring the internet. What a bunch of hypocrites.

*Sigh*. The entire internet is not plagiarized.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:53:53 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:51:12 PM, Ren wrote:
At 1/18/2012 5:49:07 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Heil SOPA!

OMG -- another one.

?