Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Lol

16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 7:40:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No clue where to put this forum so I put it here.

My friend said researching your opinion and changing them because your wrong is bad he said: "I think for myself, you don't because your opinions are not your ideas"

I retaliate:

" at least my opinions are factual. Changing my opinion because my point of view is wrong is good. Research is good, it... Makes sure what you say is factual."

Then he basically just kept repeating and my rebuttal kept changing but still disproved his points. Thoughts? Who was right? Just wanna know as I thought this was Hillarius.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 7:42:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Opinions are not factual; and changing them is not a stupid action. That's all I have to say on the subject other than it should have been in Misc.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 7:45:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 7:40:21 PM, 16kadams wrote:
No clue where to put this forum so I put it here.

My friend said researching your opinion and changing them because your wrong is bad he said: "I think for myself, you don't because your opinions are not your ideas"
I think your friend might envy you. (That's not jealousy, keep that in mind.) Some people are intellectually lazy, and would rather base their opinions on what they want because it makes them feel better, rather than what they should base their opinions on. That's why he comes with the lame excuse that can be rephrased this way: My thinking is superior because it comes from my own self. Your beliefs are just taken from others.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 9:00:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 7:45:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/24/2012 7:40:21 PM, 16kadams wrote:
No clue where to put this forum so I put it here.

My friend said researching your opinion and changing them because your wrong is bad he said: "I think for myself, you don't because your opinions are not your ideas"
I think your friend might envy you. (That's not jealousy, keep that in mind.) Some people are intellectually lazy, and would rather base their opinions on what they want because it makes them feel better, rather than what they should base their opinions on. That's why he comes with the lame excuse that can be rephrased this way: My thinking is superior because it comes from my own self. Your beliefs are just taken from others.

Basically I have my own opioid but have other peoples facts backing me up. Maybe your right.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 9:01:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 7:42:22 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Opinions are not factual; and changing them is not a stupid action. That's all I have to say on the subject other than it should have been in Misc.

Opinions are beliefs that (if you want to defend the views) have some fact or at least some strong theories. I will put this in misc next time.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 9:02:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 7:42:08 PM, darkkermit wrote:
If you don't base your position on facts, what do you base it on?

Yep

Seems the consensus is I was right.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 9:05:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 7:40:21 PM, 16kadams wrote:
No clue where to put this forum so I put it here.

My friend said researching your opinion and changing them because your wrong is bad he said: "I think for myself, you don't because your opinions are not your ideas"
And what would those opinions serve if they're not based on facts?


I retaliate:

" at least my opinions are factual. Changing my opinion because my point of view is wrong is good. Research is good, it... Makes sure what you say is factual."
Apparently, you may want to explain the importance of facts, then if he doesn't understand.....or the value of objectivity, not "thinking to myself".:)

Then he basically just kept repeating and my rebuttal kept changing but still disproved his points. Thoughts? Who was right? Just wanna know as I thought this was Hillarius.
I'd find it too....(chuckles and then resumes writing assignment)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 10:01:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is this some sort of ironic meta thread?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 10:09:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Opinions are interpretations of facts.

The less facts you have, the more likely your interpretation is flawed. The more false facts you have, the more likely your interpretation is flawed.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 8:50:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 10:09:20 PM, Wnope wrote:
Opinions are interpretations of facts.

The less facts you have, the more likely your interpretation is flawed. The more false facts you have, the more likely your interpretation is flawed.

+1
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:15:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Someone who never changes their opinion on anything is either (A) God or (B) intellectually dishonest. One of the main purposes of debating is to gain a better understanding of the opposing viewpoint. If that is truly your intention, then changing some of your views, or at least adjusting them in some ways is almost inevitable.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:00:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/24/2012 7:40:21 PM, 16kadams wrote:
No clue where to put this forum so I put it here.

My friend said researching your opinion and changing them because your wrong is bad he said: "I think for myself, you don't because your opinions are not your ideas"

I retaliate:

" at least my opinions are factual. Changing my opinion because my point of view is wrong is good. Research is good, it... Makes sure what you say is factual."

Then he basically just kept repeating and my rebuttal kept changing but still disproved his points. Thoughts? Who was right? Just wanna know as I thought this was Hillarius.

That's called ignorance and arrogance. It is fairly common. You could point out that just because an idea is yours does not logically mean that it is valid, and just because an idea is not yours does not logically mean that it is invalid, but you're probably just better off saying "whatever dude."

Perhaps you could show him that any idea he has, someone else has had before him.

This is the reason that I don't talk politics with people IRL.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"