Total Posts:42|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

LOOL why are DDO users always so mean?

Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 5:39:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't know...do people in Debate have their political underwear on too tightly that they get cranky. Or what?
Why do their responses have to be so patronizing?
like instead of saying
"I disagree"
They say "You're fvcking retarded! I don't know you but I'm going to assume you're totally retarded because of that illogical statement."

Haha God
Loosen up your tie
LOOOL :p
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
MasterKage
Posts: 1,257
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 5:56:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
DDO users aren't mean. Yes, some of the debates and discussions here are quite heated, and your views and opinions will probably get challenged, but no one is really mean.

Has the actions of one DDO'er made you assume that all or the majority od DDO debaters are "mean"?
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 5:57:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, lack of logic can be attributed to the majority of human suffering that occurs in the world,...and any proponent of such logic is marked as a component of that problem. Its near impossible to remain undeterred while speaking to individuals you consider the reason for some of the world's and history's greatest problems.

However, this is a place of learning, not teaching. The very premise of assuming correctness should not exist in the first place.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 6:07:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 5:43:38 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
And you thought you'd make up an entire thread about that? I mean, what are you???
.
.
.
.
.
.
Retard.

LOOOOOOL
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 7:15:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 5:39:47 AM, Yarely wrote:
I don't know...do people in Debate have their political underwear on too tightly that they get cranky. Or what?
Why do their responses have to be so patronizing?
like instead of saying
"I disagree"
They say "You're fvcking retarded! I don't know you but I'm going to assume you're totally retarded because of that illogical statement."

Haha God
Loosen up your tie
LOOOL :p

I have severe psychological issues.
The primary cause was my mother dropping me on my head as a young child. The first time wouldn't have been so bad, but after the eleventh permanent damage was pretty much guaranteed. Things got worse after I was kidnapped and raped by the Illuminati on my 7th Birthday. This has caused a life long fear of people in turtlenecks.
When I was 15 I killed for the first time. Two lowlife criminals named Jesse and James. Alas, they were funded by a corporation whom I can only assume are the illuminati who consistently cloned the deceased criminals who formed an obsession with me. I have killed them many times, and they have killed countless of my friends.
I have also suffered throughout life being described and treated as if I were evolutionarily inferior, and my job prospects have suffered greatly for it.
I also was kidnapped by some deranged 10 year old with a god complex and a fixation on becoming superior to everyone else through the use of alien technology which can enslave individuals such as myself.

Because of these many traumas I fear I lash out at idiots on the internet.
kyro90
Posts: 4,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 9:35:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 5:43:38 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
And you thought you'd make up an entire thread about that? I mean, what are you???
.
.
.
.
.
.
Retard.

Ouch definitly not nice no offense.
But yeah I agree some people here just either dont get a joke and take it way too seriously or they just pick on your debate and insult it.
Allow me to give you my card....
Oh you cant read? Pitty. It says,
You are now holding the card of the Awesome-Steller-Second-to-none-hot-cool-funny-incredible-magical-beautious-cuddly-warm-kitty-kat-like Secretary
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 11:57:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 9:35:09 AM, kyro90 wrote:
At 1/25/2012 5:43:38 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
And you thought you'd make up an entire thread about that? I mean, what are you???
.
.
.
.
.
.
Retard.

Ouch definitly not nice no offense.
But yeah I agree some people here just either dont get a joke and take it way too seriously or they just pick on your debate and insult it.

Ouch definitly not nice no offense.

But yeah I agree some people here just either dont get a joke

not nice

some people dont get a joke

...
Yeah
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 12:03:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A collection of political writings, reports, facts, and opinions 100 percent free of pejoratives, invectives, attacks, or insecurity is called a newspaper.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 12:04:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
DDO has seem to grown more hostile then it used to be. People would disagree with one another but before most people seemed to like each other despite their ideologies. Now it seems as many conservative and liberals hate one another.They don't disagree anymore. The arguments have become nastier.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Buckethead31594
Posts: 363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 12:57:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 12:04:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
DDO has seem to grown more hostile then it used to be. People would disagree with one another but before most people seemed to like each other despite their ideologies. Now it seems as many conservative and liberals hate one another.They don't disagree anymore. The arguments have become nastier.

This is probably the best summary of DDO to date.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:25:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of bad communicators around for sure. Just stop taking offense.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:43:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 7:15:33 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 1/25/2012 5:39:47 AM, Yarely wrote:
I don't know...do people in Debate have their political underwear on too tightly that they get cranky. Or what?
Why do their responses have to be so patronizing?
like instead of saying
"I disagree"
They say "You're fvcking retarded! I don't know you but I'm going to assume you're totally retarded because of that illogical statement."

Haha God
Loosen up your tie
LOOOL :p

I have severe psychological issues.
The primary cause was my mother dropping me on my head as a young child. The first time wouldn't have been so bad, but after the eleventh permanent damage was pretty much guaranteed. Things got worse after I was kidnapped and raped by the Illuminati on my 7th Birthday. This has caused a life long fear of people in turtlenecks.
When I was 15 I killed for the first time. Two lowlife criminals named Jesse and James. Alas, they were funded by a corporation whom I can only assume are the illuminati who consistently cloned the deceased criminals who formed an obsession with me. I have killed them many times, and they have killed countless of my friends.
I have also suffered throughout life being described and treated as if I were evolutionarily inferior, and my job prospects have suffered greatly for it.
I also was kidnapped by some deranged 10 year old with a god complex and a fixation on becoming superior to everyone else through the use of alien technology which can enslave individuals such as myself.

Because of these many traumas I fear I lash out at idiots on the internet.

Hahahaha oh my god that made my day! :D
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:44:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 5:56:20 AM, MasterKage wrote:
DDO users aren't mean. Yes, some of the debates and discussions here are quite heated, and your views and opinions will probably get challenged, but no one is really mean.

Has the actions of one DDO'er made you assume that all or the majority od DDO debaters are "mean"?

Loool I was just kidding. This forum wasn't meant to be taken seriously
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
litnb
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 2:29:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Goddamn hippie, why don't you shoot yourself in the face or something because it's idiots like you who are always making stupid comments about serious issues you clearly do not understand you retarded ignoramus. I am clearly much more educated and superior to you. You are a neanderthal with a walnut sized brain who bitches every time your 'feelings' are hurt. For once, wake up and smell the real world that isn't full of rainbows and cupcakes."
(Typical Insulting DDO User)

LOL
i know wat u mean (:
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 2:33:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 2:29:04 PM, litnb wrote:
"Goddamn hippie, why don't you shoot yourself in the face or something because it's idiots like you who are always making stupid comments about serious issues you clearly do not understand you retarded ignoramus. I am clearly much more educated and superior to you. You are a neanderthal with a walnut sized brain who bitches every time your 'feelings' are hurt. For once, wake up and smell the real world that isn't full of rainbows and cupcakes."
(Typical Insulting DDO User)

LOL
i know wat u mean (:

Hahahaha God looool
XD
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 6:23:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's because of a few specific individuals that I can think of, but won't name out of respect (mostly fear that they'd start a flame war), are not accustomed to debating standards, and are coming here to shout at other ideologies.

I came here to have civilised debates, which, yes, get heated, but at the end of the day, a civil handshake occurs, similar to the ones I have irl.

After a few weeks, specific individuals became aggressive, which made others aggressive, then a few incredibly hostile...I'll be blunt, idiots with no sense of reason came shouting and then a divide occurred.

I'd post about all getting together and making friends, but I would be called a communist/liberal/anti-american (even though I am british, one of the best insults used against me. The fun part was when they tried to defend that point when I pointed it out) and a host of other buzzwords.

So I recommend getting a bunch of civilised people, adding them, and ignoring those who are hear to shout at each other, and get your snifter of brandy around the armchair by the warm fire and relax.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Logic_on_rails
Posts: 2,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 6:59:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A minority of vocal users can occasionally use inflammatory language it is true.

However, if you look at debates insults are very rarely seen. This shows that the problem is limited to the forums. Furthermore, a trend I've often seen is intelligent responses being ignored because, well, people agree with them! However, people will tend to prefer attacking weaker / more questionable responses, which just happen to come from responses which are emotion heavy, fact light. Then it's a matter of escalation.

Civil discourse can be found, you just have to know how and choose who to interact with.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 8:25:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 6:59:20 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
A minority of vocal users can occasionally use inflammatory language it is true.

However, if you look at debates insults are very rarely seen. This shows that the problem is limited to the forums. Furthermore, a trend I've often seen is intelligent responses being ignored because, well, people agree with them! However, people will tend to prefer attacking weaker / more questionable responses, which just happen to come from responses which are emotion heavy, fact light. Then it's a matter of escalation.

Civil discourse can be found, you just have to know how and choose who to interact with.

Lool yeah so true
It's really just a lot of the forums
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 8:26:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 6:23:53 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
It's because of a few specific individuals that I can think of, but won't name out of respect (mostly fear that they'd start a flame war), are not accustomed to debating standards, and are coming here to shout at other ideologies.

I came here to have civilised debates, which, yes, get heated, but at the end of the day, a civil handshake occurs, similar to the ones I have irl.

After a few weeks, specific individuals became aggressive, which made others aggressive, then a few incredibly hostile...I'll be blunt, idiots with no sense of reason came shouting and then a divide occurred.

I'd post about all getting together and making friends, but I would be called a communist/liberal/anti-american (even though I am british, one of the best insults used against me. The fun part was when they tried to defend that point when I pointed it out) and a host of other buzzwords.

So I recommend getting a bunch of civilised people, adding them, and ignoring those who are hear to shout at each other, and get your snifter of brandy around the armchair by the warm fire and relax.

That sounds like a plan :)
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 9:20:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Geolaurate...see politics forum
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:06:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 1:44:58 PM, Yarely wrote:
At 1/25/2012 5:56:20 AM, MasterKage wrote:
DDO users aren't mean. Yes, some of the debates and discussions here are quite heated, and your views and opinions will probably get challenged, but no one is really mean.

Has the actions of one DDO'er made you assume that all or the majority od DDO debaters are "mean"?

Loool I was just kidding. This forum wasn't meant to be taken seriously

This is DDO. The same way that Puerto Ricans use every single 2 yr olds birthday as an excuse to drink and dance salsa till 4 in the morning, DDOers use every topic as an excuse to argue. It's what we do.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:08:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 12:04:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
DDO has seem to grown more hostile then it used to be. People would disagree with one another but before most people seemed to like each other despite their ideologies. Now it seems as many conservative and liberals hate one another.They don't disagree anymore. The arguments have become nastier.

It seems to me like a big part of this is the lack of college students on this site since the fall. But I could be wrong.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 12:57:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 12:04:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
DDO has seem to grown more hostile then it used to be. People would disagree with one another but before most people seemed to like each other despite their ideologies. Now it seems as many conservative and liberals hate one another.They don't disagree anymore. The arguments have become nastier.

I haven't been on in a few weeks, but it seems to me that it is linked to the increase flow of default ideologies (namely conservatism and liberalism). Before we had a large number of libertarians (both left leaning and right leaning). As such, they often got use to defending their views and so learned communicating and debating from it. When a few of the default views (I call them "defaults" because they are what people default to rather than researching various ideas and choosing what they believe is best) join, they have to defend against non-default views, and so learn to communicate and debate.

However, when a bunch of the defaults come in, rather than facing off against libertarians and other non-default views that require critical thinking and debating to deal with, they find plenty of their counter parts to engage in talking points (like they hear and copy from Rush, Beck, Hanity, Coulter, Schutlz, Reagan (Ron, his son), Rhodes, Hartman, etc) rather than actual critical thinking.

If that sounds insulting to anyone, I apologize for insulting, but not for the message itself.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:07:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/25/2012 5:39:47 AM, Yarely wrote:
I don't know...do people in Debate have their political underwear on too tightly that they get cranky. Or what?
Why do their responses have to be so patronizing?
like instead of saying
"I disagree"
They say "You're fvcking retarded! I don't know you but I'm going to assume you're totally retarded because of that illogical statement."

Haha God
Loosen up your tie
LOOOL :p

WELL MAYBE IF PEOPLE WERENT SO F-CKING STUPID AND COULD USE COMMON SENSE ONCE IN A WHILE INSTEAD OF ME HAVING TO EXPLAIN EVERY SINGLE MOTHER F-CKING THING TO THEM DURING A DEBATE LIKE THEIR F-CKING TWO YEARS OLD I WOULDNT HAVE TO TAKE EVERYTHING SO MOTHER F-CKING SERIOSULY ON HERE!!!!! ITS LIKE PEOPLE ARE DROPPED ON THEIR F-CKING HEADS WHEN THEY ARE BORN BEFORE THEY COME ON HERE AND START DEBATING ABOUT STUFF. IVE MEET PEOPLE WHO ARE SO BRAIN DEAD THAT THEY MAKE THE DEAD SQUIRREL WHO I JUST RAN OVER WITH MY F-CKING HUMMER LOOK LIKE A F-CKING EINSTEIN!!!!

Just kidding, ;D people just defend their views really intensively on here
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:26:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 12:57:25 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I haven't been on in a few weeks, but it seems to me that it is linked to the increase flow of default ideologies (namely conservatism and liberalism). Before we had a large number of libertarians (both left leaning and right leaning). As such, they often got use to defending their views and so learned communicating and debating from it.

Why would they learn "communicating" and "debating"? The members are all the default ideologies yet they are bad with communication and defending their views. When some of the libertarians went to revLeft, they weren't exactly treated with open arms.

When a few of the default views (I call them "defaults" because they are what people default to rather than researching various ideas and choosing what they believe is best) join, they have to defend against non-default views, and so learn to communicate and debate.

This is true. However, there's no reason why we shouldn't expect the default views to punish the non-default view for going against the default view. After all, this is how basic in-group and out-group theory works.


However, when a bunch of the defaults come in, rather than facing off against libertarians and other non-default views that require critical thinking and debating to deal with, they find plenty of their counter parts to engage in talking points (like they hear and copy from Rush, Beck, Hanity, Coulter, Schutlz, Reagan (Ron, his son), Rhodes, Hartman, etc) rather than actual critical thinking.

Yet then why did default group not engage in talking points? The default group had no incentive to think critically because people agreed with him/her anyways.

If that sounds insulting to anyone, I apologize for insulting, but not for the message itself.

Don't think it was. I think its more of a change in cultural, which is more stochastic then anything. I don't think a dominant political ideology makes a site anymore civil. Otherwise I should have no trouble talking to others on RevLeft, and other left wing websites, and state my right-wing economic belief system.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 1:42:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:26:33 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:57:25 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I haven't been on in a few weeks, but it seems to me that it is linked to the increase flow of default ideologies (namely conservatism and liberalism). Before we had a large number of libertarians (both left leaning and right leaning). As such, they often got use to defending their views and so learned communicating and debating from it.

Why would they learn "communicating" and "debating"? The members are all the default ideologies yet they are bad with communication and defending their views. When some of the libertarians went to revLeft, they weren't exactly treated with open arms.

Revleft has found sufficient numbers so that rather than using logic to back their positions, they use numbers (much like the default positions, instead of defending, just go get 50 more that agree with you to re-enforce you).

People will naturally fall on to the "safety in numbers" defense. However, when you don't have numbers (as common with non-default views, when in respect to the numbers of default views) you have to fall back on something else. Because we also have the debate feature (use to be only debate with no forum), it was 1 on 1 and so no "safety in numbers" existed.


When a few of the default views (I call them "defaults" because they are what people default to rather than researching various ideas and choosing what they believe is best) join, they have to defend against non-default views, and so learn to communicate and debate.

This is true. However, there's no reason why we shouldn't expect the default views to punish the non-default view for going against the default view. After all, this is how basic in-group and out-group theory works.

Except that the default views have more experience with going against their counter group. A default conservative (not to be confused with a learned conservative that has researched and comprehended their views) can't go and call a libertarian (who likely supports the legalization of pot) a socialist tree hugging liberal.

So their standard attacks don't work. That forces them to think (at least a little, which is better than none at all).



However, when a bunch of the defaults come in, rather than facing off against libertarians and other non-default views that require critical thinking and debating to deal with, they find plenty of their counter parts to engage in talking points (like they hear and copy from Rush, Beck, Hanity, Coulter, Schutlz, Reagan (Ron, his son), Rhodes, Hartman, etc) rather than actual critical thinking.

Yet then why did default group not engage in talking points? The default group had no incentive to think critically because people agreed with him/her anyways.

Because when there were few, they were minorities (lacked the "safety in numbers" which I forgot to bring up in my first post) and so talking points would not cut it for them.


If that sounds insulting to anyone, I apologize for insulting, but not for the message itself.

Don't think it was. I think its more of a change in cultural, which is more stochastic then anything. I don't think a dominant political ideology makes a site anymore civil. Otherwise I should have no trouble talking to others on RevLeft, and other left wing websites, and state my right-wing economic belief system.

It doesn't, if you get too much of a single type, with no variations, then you get a localized "default" where they can fall back on safety in numbers (what you referred to as in-group/out-group).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:00:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The important thing is not to let them win by leaving or giving in. Keep pushing on them for facts and don't show that the insults hold any power. So long as enough people hold facts as more important than insults, facts will prevail.

Since I'm totalitarian, I don't have a group of people that I always agree with. As such, I have a few issues with everyone that I disagree with, and a few issues that I do agree with. I also like to think that I understand libertarian ideas enough to do accurate DA with that. But because I can agree or disagree or defend positions not my own, I will usually always side against the insulter (even if I share their view, because if they have to insult, then their reasons for holding that view are weak. If they can use facts, but choose to insult instead, than they have a personality issue) anyway, simply because someone that uses logic to disagree with me is better than someone that uses insults to agree with me every day of the week.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 2:06:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/26/2012 1:42:22 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 1/26/2012 1:26:33 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/26/2012 12:57:25 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I haven't been on in a few weeks, but it seems to me that it is linked to the increase flow of default ideologies (namely conservatism and liberalism). Before we had a large number of libertarians (both left leaning and right leaning). As such, they often got use to defending their views and so learned communicating and debating from it.

Why would they learn "communicating" and "debating"? The members are all the default ideologies yet they are bad with communication and defending their views. When some of the libertarians went to revLeft, they weren't exactly treated with open arms.

Revleft has found sufficient numbers so that rather than using logic to back their positions, they use numbers (much like the default positions, instead of defending, just go get 50 more that agree with you to re-enforce you).

People will naturally fall on to the "safety in numbers" defense. However, when you don't have numbers (as common with non-default views, when in respect to the numbers of default views) you have to fall back on something else. Because we also have the debate feature (use to be only debate with no forum), it was 1 on 1 and so no "safety in numbers" existed.

This analysis doesn't make sense. First you state that the reason that RevLeft uses "safety in numbers". However, even though libertarian had "safety in numbers", it didn't........yet somehow debate.org was more civil because we had a defualt position which most people agreed with..........

This is contradictory.

This is true. However, there's no reason why we shouldn't expect the default views to punish the non-default view for going against the default view. After all, this is how basic in-group and out-group theory works.

Except that the default views have more experience with going against their counter group. A default conservative (not to be confused with a learned conservative that has researched and comprehended their views) can't go and call a libertarian (who likely supports the legalization of pot) a socialist tree hugging liberal.

Except they didn't get the experience since everyone's the default group. Again, are dominant political ideologies bad or good? You seem to be contradicting yourself. A default libertarian surely can call other others since they have safety in numbers.

So their standard attacks don't work. That forces them to think (at least a little, which is better than none at all).

the dominant political ideology should be the @ssholes though. I wouldn't expect the non-dominant political ideology to act that way.

Because when there were few, they were minorities (lacked the "safety in numbers" which I forgot to bring up in my first post) and so talking points would not cut it for them.


Didn't you just state earlier back, that the default group was the dominant group. Now your saying the default group was "few in number"?

Don't think it was. I think its more of a change in cultural, which is more stochastic then anything. I don't think a dominant political ideology makes a site anymore civil. Otherwise I should have no trouble talking to others on RevLeft, and other left wing websites, and state my right-wing economic belief system.

It doesn't, if you get too much of a single type, with no variations, then you get a localized "default" where they can fall back on safety in numbers (what you referred to as in-group/out-group).

Didn't you just argue that the reason DDO was civil was because the had a "default" group!!! (the libertarians).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...