Jump to topic:

Forum degration...

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 8:52:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Anyone else notice topics on forums are getting worse and worse? Flame wars erupt, Ron Paul fans keep saying he wi s when he loses by large margins, newt Gingrich people clash with the Paul fans, and the Rick Santorum crew does the same. (sorry). It's sad... Even the best people on the site now flail around in forums :(. Most of us our guilty at one point or another. Thoughts? Odd why this happened. Doesn't matter but you know... Made this cause I was bored.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 8:56:11 PM
lol this is funny post. I think you immerse yourself in election politics so much that you're blissfully unaware of all the other discourse going on in other parts of the Forums. Out side of the politics section, no one really cares who won last nights debate, and no one really cares about Ron Paul or Newt Grinch, or Willtard Romney.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 8:58:28 PM
At 1/28/2012 8:56:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
lol this is funny post. I think you immerse yourself in election politics so much that you're blissfully unaware of all the other discourse going on in other parts of the Forums. Out side of the politics section, no one really cares who won last nights debate, and no one really cares about Ron Paul or Newt Grinch, or Willtard Romney.

Just as no one cares about Barack Obama or Harry Reid or Cutthroat Clinton.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 8:59:41 PM
At 1/28/2012 8:52:56 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Anyone else notice topics on forums are getting worse and worse? Flame wars erupt, Ron Paul fans keep saying he wi s when he loses by large margins, newt Gingrich people clash with the Paul fans, and the Rick Santorum crew does the same. (sorry). It's sad... Even the best people on the site now flail around in forums :(. Most of us our guilty at one point or another. Thoughts? Odd why this happened. Doesn't matter but you know... Made this cause I was bored.

Perhaps it's not happening enough?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 8:59:44 PM
At 1/28/2012 8:58:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Just as no one cares about Barack Obama or Harry Reid or Cutthroat Clinton outside of the politics section.

Yes, good job.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:00:41 PM
At 1/28/2012 8:59:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/28/2012 8:58:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Just as no one cares about Barack Obama or Harry Reid or Cutthroat Clinton outside of the politics section.

Yes, good job.

Thank you. :)
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:05:21 PM
There are other channels to where you could have directed your want of activity at.....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:07:10 PM

In your sig, did Lordknuckle really say that??
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:09:22 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:07:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

Yes, he did.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:10:42 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:09:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yes, he did.

About innocent until proven guilty?

That's obviously the policy we must support,

however our legal system does cater to the criminals even after they've been convicted.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:10:47 PM

Yes
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:11:23 PM

Don't tell me Jewfro ever surprises you anymore.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:12:20 PM

I dont do religeon, and I go there it is not much better. Gileandos fights lost points, atheist insult etc.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:26:45 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:21:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think both the forums and the debates are deteriorating. I don't know why.

Izbo's banishment caused a massive disruption in the intellectual equilibrium of the website.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:27:05 PM
There are still quality posts, but more junk posts than ever before too. Probably due to the presence of more members. In older days, the active members used to be the ones who dedicated their time fully discussing issues and debating their beliefs. That's not happening a lot anymore.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:31:45 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:27:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
There are still quality posts, but more junk posts than ever before too. Probably due to the presence of more members. In older days, the active members used to be the ones who dedicated their time fully discussing issues and debating their beliefs. That's not happening a lot anymore.

That's not true. DDO reach has remained quite consist.

http://www.alexa.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:34:17 PM

Yeah.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:36:02 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:31:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:

The amount of users tells nothing. The amount of people who are on the site might have remained roughly the same, but the amount of active members (i.e., those who post on the forums) has increased I think.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:40:34 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:36:02 PM, Mirza wrote:

The amount of users tells nothing. The amount of people who are on the site might have remained roughly the same, but the amount of active members (i.e., those who post on the forums) has increased I think.

I don't see it. We've lost a lot of members from the ancap exodus and many other members have slowly drifted apart. I haven't seen feverish or Freedo at all. We've merely have different members.
Open borders debate:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:43:06 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:40:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I don't see it. We've lost a lot of members from the ancap exodus and many other members have slowly drifted apart. I haven't seen feverish or Freedo at all. We've merely have different members.
Disagree as much as you want. There are 56 members online right now. A lot are active on the forums. 50+ members being online at any given time say, 2 years ago was quite rare.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:46:36 PM
At 1/28/2012 9:43:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/28/2012 9:40:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Disagree as much as you want. There are 56 members online right now. A lot are active on the forums. 50+ members being online at any given time say, 2 years ago was quite rare.

Most of them probably just have DDO in the background or didn't log off. DDO doesn't feel like there are a lot of active members. I don't recall that being a "rare" event, although I don't think i was here 2 years ago. It seems as if there are less active members then there used to be. Daily page views per viewer is also way down:

Open borders debate:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 9:50:17 PM
I forgot to point out, its degradation, not "degration"
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:16:00 PM
This has nothing to do with the OP, I just notice people are bringing out the wall of shame sigs. Your welcome. I see I'm quite the trendsetter.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:20:11 PM
At 1/28/2012 11:16:00 PM, socialpinko wrote:
This has nothing to do with the OP, I just notice people are bringing out the wall of shame sigs. Your welcome. I see I'm quite the trendsetter.

/humble

;)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:21:46 PM

who in God's name are Paul and Swanson?
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:23:06 AM
There is certainly a degree of forum degradation.

I will say this again like I have before - there are places for intellectual discussion on DDO. Certain forums and certain topics on DDO are not productive to an intellectual discussion it is true. By simply avoiding those topics and focusing on other areas of interest we can progress as a community.

Another idea is for people to link more academic level documents. That's the sort of thing people should be discussing here and analysing. We shouldn't be devoting attention to things like who prefers what candidate and the latest opinion polls, or at least there should be far less attention on that.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 10:33:10 AM

It'll be back to normal once the elections are over.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 11:10:28 AM
At 1/28/2012 11:21:46 PM, 000ike wrote:

who in God's name are Paul and Swanson?

Ron Paul and Ron Swanson. The former probably needs no explaination. The latter is a popular and amusing libertarian from the tv programme parks and recreation. The banter quotient in that TV show is very high [1]

[1] Direct quote from the Archbishop of Banterbury (His excellency, Thaddeus River)
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 11:14:52 AM
All it takes is 3-4 retarded members who post retarded sh1t on a consistent basis to degrade the quality of the forum. I don't see how this is so elusive. We've lost a lot of very intelligent members and certainly gained some good newbies but there's a number of newbies who fall into that first category.