Jump to topic:

Rate Votes

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:35:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We need a way to identify good and bad voters and punish/reward depending.

We should input a thumbs up/thumbs down rating system for votes on a debate. This way, those consistently making well thought out RFDs and fair and unbias decisions will be ranked as a top Voter.

Then when creating new debates, we could have a feature that allows you to prevent people from voting that are below a certain Vote Rating.

It seems that some very good quality debates are laid to waste by individuals that skim through what a debater spent hours typing, and making a short, poorly supported, and often bias decision.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:36:23 PM
sure why not
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:37:40 PM
few problems:
what if a troll dislikes all of the votes, then we would need counter like teams

what if someone who hates you dislikes the votes.

I agree with the general concept though.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:39:00 PM
At 1/28/2012 11:37:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:
few problems:
what if a troll dislikes all of the votes, then we would need counter like teams

what if a troll votes against you?

what if someone who hates you votes against you?

"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:44:33 PM
At 1/28/2012 11:39:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
few problems:

what if a troll votes against you?

what if someone who hates you votes against you?

My point this just adds one thing they can vote against you on.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2012 11:51:57 PM
At 1/28/2012 11:40:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
It just adds a second dimension to vote-bombing.

This is what I was thinking too.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:01:16 AM

we thought the same thing
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:08:28 AM
At 1/29/2012 12:01:16 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Yeah but there's no actual harm done. Votebombing before could cause entire debates to be completely corrupted but giving thumbs down on votes doesnt do any harm at all....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:12:47 AM
At 1/29/2012 12:08:28 AM, imabench wrote:

Yeah but there's no actual harm done. Votebombing before could cause entire debates to be completely corrupted but giving thumbs down on votes doesnt do any harm at all....

Yes it does. If your score is too low, then you can't vote on debates. If we assume that vote bombing is a problem, then there's no reason why scores won't be vote bombed. If vote bombing isn't that serious of a problem, then its less likely this feature will be abused, but less likely this problem will occur.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:36:53 AM
At 1/29/2012 12:12:47 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/29/2012 12:08:28 AM, imabench wrote:

Yes it does. If your score is too low, then you can't vote on debates. If we assume that vote bombing is a problem, then there's no reason why scores won't be vote bombed. If vote bombing isn't that serious of a problem, then its less likely this feature will be abused, but less likely this problem will occur.

ah that makes sense......
(changes opinion to be against rating votes)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:19:37 AM
I definitely agree that a system like this could not be used to punish bad voters because of issues with trolls and votebombers, but I also think this could be a great tool to measure good voters.

I propose that we have a system just like what Ike suggested, but one where you can only give a thumbs up. Votebombers would not be able to do any harm and those that provide accurate and thoughtful RFD's would be recognized for it. This would provide an incentive for others to provide good RFD's which would likely have an overall positive effect on the quality of voting.

Simply put, stopping trolls from trolling is not realistic. Encouraging members to be more productive is very realistic.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:10:27 AM
few problems:
I'm assuming that one person can only dislike each vote once, so if it's a adequate then there will probably be likes on it, so the one dislike will have no effect.

Again, one dislike to an adequate won't make any difference.

This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:13:53 AM
Problem is, once again, this is measured by opinion.

I think there should be a way to block voting ability, but this is not the way.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:14:34 AM
At 1/29/2012 9:13:53 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Problem is, once again, this is measured by opinion.

I think there should be a way to block voting ability, but this is not the way.

Just say I do not want X voting on the debate if he does it's a VB
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:15:25 AM
At 1/29/2012 2:19:37 AM, Double_R wrote:
I definitely agree that a system like this could not be used to punish bad voters because of issues with trolls and votebombers, but I also think this could be a great tool to measure good voters.

I propose that we have a system just like what Ike suggested, but one where you can only give a thumbs up. Votebombers would not be able to do any harm and those that provide accurate and thoughtful RFD's would be recognized for it. This would provide an incentive for others to provide good RFD's which would likely have an overall positive effect on the quality of voting.

Simply put, stopping trolls from trolling is not realistic. Encouraging members to be more productive is very realistic.

That is a good idea.

Would counter act VBing in a bad way perfectly.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:17:59 AM

That is a bad idea as then bad voters can keep an ok rank if a few people like and no dislike. Also VB ers can thumb up the bad votes 10 times. This system may fail, but let's try it.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:22:27 AM
At 1/29/2012 9:17:59 AM, 16kadams wrote:

That is a bad idea as then bad voters can keep an ok rank if a few people like and no dislike. Also VB ers can thumb up the bad votes 10 times. This system may fail, but let's try it.

at this point your paranoia is a bit unfounded. We could just as well use the same logic to eliminate voting on debates all together! Opinion matters, there will be some trolls, but most people are not trolls.

If we had no fear in trusting the DDO community to vote on who shall be a top debater, then we should have no fear in trusting the DDO community to vote on the top Voters.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:27:35 AM
At 1/29/2012 9:22:27 AM, 000ike wrote:

at this point your paranoia is a bit unfounded. We could just as well use the same logic to eliminate voting on debates all together! Opinion matters, there will be some trolls, but most people are not trolls.

We need votes to see who wins, and this just adds another platform where trolls can make "good voters" so they can vote and spam most debates. Also we would have to have it for a month before we had the system where you could block their votes we would have an accurate voting record. Every person would need a month of voting before they could get banned as they would have no record, and a month would create one. SO you would not be able to block people always.

If we had no fear in trusting the DDO community to vote on who shall be a top debater, then we should have no fear in trusting the DDO community to vote on the top Voters.

We vote on winners, not best debaters. The amount of debates matters more with then win ratio. (on the percentile) so we do not choose best debater, and choosing the best voter this way is once again a second field for VB's.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 9:32:08 AM
There should be a system that permits one to block individuals who are biased against her. It should probably be added to the "block" function.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:22:03 PM

So then why even bother? If only a small fraction are trolls, its not enough to impact the debate.

Well isn't the whole reason the rate vote system is put in place, is because you can't trust the community to vote on debates properly?
Open borders debate:
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:25:33 PM
At 1/29/2012 12:22:03 PM, darkkermit wrote:

So then why even bother? If only a small fraction are trolls, its not enough to impact the debate.

Well isn't the whole reason the rate vote system is put in place, is because you can't trust the community to vote on debates properly?

no, its because I can't trust a few people to vote properly.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:27:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone consider me to be a vote-bomber (other than Mikee)?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:31:51 PM
At 1/29/2012 12:25:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/29/2012 12:22:03 PM, darkkermit wrote:

no, its because I can't trust a few people to vote properly.

Yet, the probability of them voting on your debates are low anyways and if the vote rate system is implemented, what makes you think the "conservative voting block" (i'm guessing this is the people your referring to ) isn't going to rate their votes high to get their voting privileges back.

The system only works if the community works, but if the community works anyways there shouldn't be too much of a fear of votebombing anyways, since voters often time counter votebombs.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:34:40 PM
At 1/29/2012 9:32:08 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
There should be a system that permits one to block individuals who are biased against her. It should probably be added to the "block" function.

Except, that's unfair for your opponent, since you could essentially block anyone who you think is going to vote against you, and only allow bias members to vote.

Now If your opponent wants to play the same game, you essentially get no people voting since everyone's already been blocked :p.
Open borders debate:
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 12:59:05 PM
At 1/28/2012 11:35:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
We need a way to identify good and bad voters and punish/reward depending.

We should input a thumbs up/thumbs down rating system for votes on a debate. This way, those consistently making well thought out RFDs and fair and unbias decisions will be ranked as a top Voter.

Then when creating new debates, we could have a feature that allows you to prevent people from voting that are below a certain Vote Rating.

It seems that some very good quality debates are laid to waste by individuals that skim through what a debater spent hours typing, and making a short, poorly supported, and often bias decision.

Agreed. And to everyone saying that people will just thumb down votes for no reason, all we need to do is allow you to see who thumbed down the votes, and then problem solved.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:18:18 PM

No. If someone votes 20 times and gets 2 thumbs up that would not be considered good. The good voters would be the ones that get far more thumbs up then average. The bad voters are the ones who hardly get any. Votebombers would not be able to give 10 thumbs down. That is just silly.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:19:06 PM

lol. I didn't even catch that.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:30:59 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:19:06 PM, Double_R wrote:

lol. I didn't even catch that.

it isn't worth the cost of implementing a system that might not be effective or even harmful. There's a list of things the president petitions Juggle to do. This doesn't seem to be high on the list.
Open borders debate: