Depature

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:54:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Dear all:

I've decided that I will close my account on Debate.org within an hour from this post. This site has lost its uniqueness that has made it great. I feel that Debate.org has lost its original purpose: to have intellectually stimulating discussion. It has now slowly turned into a place like the rest of the web in which people constantly ad homenium attack one another, people attack one another based on political ideology, and very little rational discussion occurs. While I am not blameless, I certainly do not wish to continue. This site should be enjoying and fun to go on, and now I felt it has lost that aspect of that.

I will keep my account open for an hour in case anybody wishes to stay in contact with me after my departure. Just send me a PM. I won't give my contact information out publicly for obvious reasons.

Perhaps I'll be back just like some members "left" and returned. Time will tell. If the environment changes for the better, I will return. But I fear this will not be the case.

For now, take care all:

-Darkkermit
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:55:46 PM
How would you know if it got better if your gone?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:56:36 PM
Aw, don't go.

(
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:57:13 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:56:36 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Aw, don't go.

(

This too
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:57:45 PM
good bye
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:58:00 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:55:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I'm friends with socialpinko on facebook. Plus If anybody else is interested, I could keep contact with them. Jimtimmy has a blog, so I could contact him through there as well.
Open borders debate:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:58:44 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:57:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
good bye

Doesn't this make you wanna stay? I bet 000ike was smiling when he read this!

At least play Mafia, a little, to recharge yourself.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:59:24 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:58:00 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/29/2012 2:55:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I'm friends with socialpinko on facebook. Plus If anybody else is interested, I could keep contact with them. Jimtimmy has a blog, so I could contact him through there as well.

I abondined Facebook and my blog :p
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 2:59:46 PM
good bye

Your mean :) lol
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:00:50 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:58:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:
good bye

I'm not going to stay for "spite".

Never was too much a mafia fan, and there are other places to play mafia.
Open borders debate:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:01:45 PM
Well, if you really wanna leave, I can't stop you.

Hopefully, you shall return. :)

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:02:10 PM
At 1/29/2012 3:00:50 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 1/29/2012 2:58:44 PM, OberHerr wrote:
good bye

I'm not going to stay for "spite".

Never was too much a mafia fan, and there are other places to play mafia.

I dislike mafia too
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:02:18 PM
Hopefully, this isn't the last time we'll see you, darkkermit.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:12:45 PM
If I may just briefly remind everyone, this sense of stagnancy is not new to DDO, and quite frankly occurs periodically and sometimes after dramatic events.

We saw the same complaints of slowness and emptiness following the AnCap exodus, when I first joined the website. Then there was a slowness and a call for civility around August when Inferno and Izbo were joint trolls dominating the Forums. Then there was a bit of lag when schools started in September. Now following both the Izbo trial, and arguments against racism, the feeling has returned.

This is as close to perfect as any other debate website on the internet, as is expected from an environment of radically different views on life, tensions will run high from time to time. This is then not indicative of some sort of decline, but a reflection on the fact that we're all human, and nothing is perfect. So, if you think a break from DDO would be beneficial, then by all means leave. But I urge you to reconsider your perception of the website in an unusual and lackluster period of decadence.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:18:24 PM
Well, it'll be sad to see you leave Dark. Your knowledge of economics is quite advanced and at some point soon I was going to ask some questions about Keynesian economics and such. Anyhow, not like I could change your mind - you'd hardly know who I am.

As a final note, try and realise that good discussions can take place if you talk to the right people. Finally, is there anywhere else you are intending to go as a substitute of DDO? If so, where?
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:20:58 PM
You will be missed.

We have agreed and disagreed on a lot while you have been here, but you have always argued respectfully and with honesty.

As you said earlier, I will still be available on my blog so we can keep in contact.
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:27:46 PM
At 1/29/2012 3:20:58 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
You will be missed.

We have agreed and disagreed on a lot while you have been here, but you have always argued respectfully and with honesty.

As you said earlier, I will still be available on my blog so we can keep in contact.

Yea, perhaps I will start my own blog, and we can critique each other. Yea, your blog is always a good read, so I'll definitely keep in contact with you there.
Open borders debate:
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:33:43 PM
At 1/29/2012 2:54:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Dear all:

I've decided that I will close my account on Debate.org within an hour from this post. This site has lost its uniqueness that has made it great. I feel that Debate.org has lost its original purpose: to have intellectually stimulating discussion. It has now slowly turned into a place like the rest of the web in which people constantly ad homenium attack one another, people attack one another based on political ideology, and very little rational discussion occurs. While I am not blameless, I certainly do not wish to continue. This site should be enjoying and fun to go on, and now I felt it has lost that aspect of that.

I will keep my account open for an hour in case anybody wishes to stay in contact with me after my departure. Just send me a PM. I won't give my contact information out publicly for obvious reasons.

Perhaps I'll be back just like some members "left" and returned. Time will tell. If the environment changes for the better, I will return. But I fear this will not be the case.

For now, take care all:

-Darkkermit

(
Don't leave because of this issue
We need to provide an example that we can discuss things civilly and calmly instead of just getting out of the site because of this problem
A lot of DDO members are already recognizing this issue and are acknowledging that it needs to be fixed
It'll get better if we work at it
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:41:19 PM
Leaving DDO because you don't feel that the current active members of the site can not have honest intellectual discussion is silly. Members come and go, you have been here long enough to know that. If you do not find anything stimulating about the discussion here then visit less frequently until things change. But closing your DDO account and creating a departure thread to push you out the door takes away the option for you casually enjoy DDO as the opportunity arises. The trolls will still troll. You are the one who loses.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:44:33 PM
Sorry to see you leave. I considered closing my account plenty of times because DDO is such a time-sucker. That way, I won't be tempted to log on every time I see a computer (in the library etc). But I could never follow through with it.

Double_R is right, though. Why close your account if you don't like the current members? Just log on less frequently or not at all until you feel that you want to return.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:48:12 PM
At 1/29/2012 3:44:33 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Sorry to see you leave. I considered closing my account plenty of times because DDO is such a time-sucker. That way, I won't be tempted to log on every time I see a computer (in the library etc). But I could never follow through with it.

Double_R is right, though. Why close your account if you don't like the current members? Just log on less frequently or not at all until you feel that you want to return.

You can unlock your account once you lock it again.

I could just go on the site less frequently, but I felt that If I do that i wouldn't follow through and just suck my time doing something that i don't enjoy, or I'd just slowly leave anyways. I feel this ads a bit more closure.
Open borders debate:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:51:20 PM
DON'T LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I shall respect your decision to leave [if you do leave]. Please find peace and happiness upon your internet travels.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 3:59:04 PM
There was a time when DDO wasn't filled with undesirables? I think you might just be a little nostalgic because the novelty has worn off.

Eh, what do I know about it?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 4:45:54 PM
Dear all:

For now, take care all:

-Darkkermit

I have enjoyed the interactions I have had with you. God bless!
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 4:54:34 PM
dang he's gone
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 4:56:08 PM
Aw ;( He is gone.

Hopefully he will pull a JT.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 5:05:37 PM
At 1/29/2012 4:56:08 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Aw ;( He is gone.

Hopefully he will pull a JT.

lol, hopefully not.

He's probably still keeping up with the responses, just without logging in. I've left websites before, but its always been gradual, I've never understood the people that can make one final decision to leave cut and dry and never return like it really has to be like that.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2012 5:45:40 PM
Dear all:

For now, take care all:

-Darkkermit:

Can't say I don't blame you for wanting to leave, as I've made the same observations about this sh*tty place. But there's not much point to closing your account down. Just don't log in.

Anyway, fare thee well
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)