Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Should Debate.org Be Censored ?

inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 10:23:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some say censorship is a violation of our civil liberties and Constitutional rights. But, we must also realize that because we live in a real world, people can kill you for the things that you say. If not that, then they most certainly will attack. You cannot make threats against the President or any other person in a very high and authoritative position of power. And you cannot make them against the authorities. We do draw the line for many reasons that keeps us from putting the Constitution is compromising positions. Abuse of power, or privileges, should not be tolerated by law. This is an independent forum here. Do you think the same rules should apply ? Should other people's views and opinions be restricted if they offend or violate others ?
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 10:44:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)

You didn't respond to anything that I have said. Sh!t is offensive.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 10:52:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 10:44:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)

You didn't respond to anything that I have said. Sh!t is offensive.

I dont wanna censor anything actually. But perhaps there are those out there who want otherwise.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:08:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 10:52:35 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:44:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)

You didn't respond to anything that I have said. Sh!t is offensive.

I dont wanna censor anything actually. But perhaps there are those out there who want otherwise.

My argument stands. Your post implied that you wanted to censor stuff.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:18:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 11:08:05 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:52:35 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:44:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)

You didn't respond to anything that I have said. Sh!t is offensive.

I dont wanna censor anything actually. But perhaps there are those out there who want otherwise.

My argument stands. Your post implied that you wanted to censor stuff.

Your argument like you, sucks.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:28:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Debate.org is a private website and should run by the rules that the owners see fit, perhaps by involving members, but maybe not.

My personal view is the less censorship the better. Some amount may be needed (like to avoid askbob type harassment or death threats and such) but for the most part I don't see how it would be a very good idea. If you start censoring one thing that's deemed horribly offensive (Jews deserve to be destroyed in concentration camps, for example) you could pave the way for more things to be deemed offensive (from rapists and murderers should be put to death, perhaps violently, or that abortion should be legal, as many may argue that either of the above is just as bad as the first) and I don't see it's place in a politically charged debating environment.
Censorship of tolerated viewpoints and posts will destroy diversity, and thus decrease debate, the very purpose of this site.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:32:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 11:28:51 AM, lovelife wrote:
Debate.org is a private website and should run by the rules that the owners see fit, perhaps by involving members, but maybe not.

My personal view is the less censorship the better. Some amount may be needed (like to avoid askbob type harassment or death threats and such) but for the most part I don't see how it would be a very good idea. If you start censoring one thing that's deemed horribly offensive (Jews deserve to be destroyed in concentration camps, for example) you could pave the way for more things to be deemed offensive (from rapists and murderers should be put to death, perhaps violently, or that abortion should be legal, as many may argue that either of the above is just as bad as the first) and I don't see it's place in a politically charged debating environment.
Censorship of tolerated viewpoints and posts will destroy diversity, and thus decrease debate, the very purpose of this site.

Interesting theory my friend.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:05:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 11:18:25 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 11:08:05 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:52:35 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:44:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)

You didn't respond to anything that I have said. Sh!t is offensive.

I dont wanna censor anything actually. But perhaps there are those out there who want otherwise.

My argument stands. Your post implied that you wanted to censor stuff.

Your argument like you, sucks.

Got any proof to back that up, Izbo?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:10:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 12:05:55 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 11:18:25 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 11:08:05 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:52:35 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:44:45 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:33:04 AM, inferno wrote:
At 1/31/2012 10:30:58 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Everything offends somebody. If you want to follow that rule, censor everything.

You can write profanity here, and some social online forums do not allow this.
Well, actually you cant, but some people get away with it.
All other derrogatory words are allowed though and they are typed here daily for all of us to see. Do you think it is because the people who created this site are more tolerant of peoples views and opinions regardless of how vile they are in general. Maybe. (wink)

You didn't respond to anything that I have said. Sh!t is offensive.

I dont wanna censor anything actually. But perhaps there are those out there who want otherwise.

My argument stands. Your post implied that you wanted to censor stuff.

Your argument like you, sucks.

Got any proof to back that up, Izbo?

Izbo is gone.