Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Retirement from debate matches

lannan13
Posts: 23,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:43:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe that this program has been over ran with trolls. We should clean up DDO with retirement from debate matches. We'll accept petitions and comments.
1. Lannan13
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:48:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 6:43:48 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I believe that this program has been over ran with trolls. We should clean up DDO with retirement from debate matches. We'll accept petitions and comments.
1. Lannan13

What do you mean?
lannan13
Posts: 23,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:53:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
simple, we go troll sinipin' and if they loose the debate their profile gets banned for being a troll. You know Trolls don't belong on this site
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Posts: 23,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:53:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
add a # and a name like me if you support this
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:55:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 6:53:15 PM, lannan13 wrote:
simple, we go troll sinipin' and if they loose the debate their profile gets banned for being a troll. You know Trolls don't belong on this site

Why should someone be banned for losing a debate?
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:58:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 6:56:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
No offense, but this is the silliest DDO policy proposal that I have seen.

Would you stop saying things like this? This is why everyone sees you as pretentious. You get on everyone for being jerky and throwing around insults when you are one of the biggest contributers. Your comment doesn't further the topic in any way.

Anyways, I think he has good intentions but unless someone has proven themself to be an explicit troll they have a right to stay.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 7:00:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 6:58:48 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/31/2012 6:56:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
No offense, but this is the silliest DDO policy proposal that I have seen.

Would you stop saying things like this? This is why everyone sees you as pretentious. You get on everyone for being jerky and throwing around insults when you are one of the biggest contributers. Your comment doesn't further the topic in any way.

Anyways, I think he has good intentions but unless someone has proven themself to be an explicit troll they have a right to stay.

This was in no way meant to be an insult. The policy itself does nothing to stop trolls, and is a bit unfair if you ask me. Why should someone be banned for losing a debate?
lannan13
Posts: 23,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 7:02:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

Trolls already get banned from the site . . .
Guitar_Guru
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 7:18:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think what he means are more trial debates like what BlueSteel did to Izbo10. At least thats what I think he's trying to infer.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 8:03:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 7:18:40 PM, Guitar_Guru wrote:
I think what he means are more trial debates like what BlueSteel did to Izbo10. At least thats what I think he's trying to infer.

No like how I was evil and troll sniped russian fish (give thett more credit) the debate was your a troll. He lost, and trailed those debates. So kinda, but this is immediate.

Lannan there has been no new trolls since Russian that I have seen.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 8:55:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

you have only made 55 post on this site and already your a DDO elitist?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 8:59:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 8:55:20 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

you have only made 55 post on this site and already your a DDO elitist?

Lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 9:25:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 8:55:20 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

you have only made 55 post on this site and already your a DDO elitist?

Haha he's got a point.
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:30:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 7:18:40 PM, Guitar_Guru wrote:
I think what he means are more trial debates like what BlueSteel did to Izbo10. At least thats what I think he's trying to infer.

Wait who is this? Lol.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:31:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 11:30:43 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:18:40 PM, Guitar_Guru wrote:
I think what he means are more trial debates like what BlueSteel did to Izbo10. At least thats what I think he's trying to infer.

Wait who is this? Lol.

Who is whom?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:39:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 11:31:53 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/31/2012 11:30:43 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:18:40 PM, Guitar_Guru wrote:
I think what he means are more trial debates like what BlueSteel did to Izbo10. At least thats what I think he's trying to infer.

Wait who is this? Lol.

Who is whom?

Whom is who is whom?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:15:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 8:55:20 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

you have only made 55 post on this site and already your a DDO elitist?

This is a perfect example of what is wrong right now with the forums. lannan brings up an worn out but yet always important topic. Instead of contributing with a rational response to either support or negate the message, the user resorts to a personal attack, then 2 members reply with comments like "lol".

If this is the way everyone wants to interact that is fine. But what annoys me is when we act this way, then complain about how DDO is overrun with trolls who can not have a rational discussion.
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:19:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/1/2012 1:15:27 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 1/31/2012 8:55:20 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

you have only made 55 post on this site and already your a DDO elitist?

This is a perfect example of what is wrong right now with the forums. lannan brings up an worn out but yet always important topic. Instead of contributing with a rational response to either support or negate the message, the user resorts to a personal attack, then 2 members reply with comments like "lol".

If this is the way everyone wants to interact that is fine. But what annoys me is when we act this way, then complain about how DDO is overrun with trolls who can not have a rational discussion.

Well, you have to admit the idea of having a group of people 'giving up on debates' and switching over to targeting people who are believed to be trolls and putting them on a 'trial'. Imo, the trolls will simply become people who this 'police' do not like.

But criticizing a person activity is valid in these circumstances. Just how much about DDO does Ian know about with only 55 posts?
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:35:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/31/2012 6:56:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
No offense, but this is the silliest DDO policy proposal that I have seen.

+1. Forget this idea, it's silly and not thought through..
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:41:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
People who think this policy is a good idea,
1) Lannan13
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

People who think this is a bad thing
1) Imabench
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 2:09:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/1/2012 1:19:59 AM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 2/1/2012 1:15:27 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 1/31/2012 8:55:20 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 1/31/2012 7:01:40 PM, lannan13 wrote:
trolls need to be banned from this site I want this site to be cleansed and perfect.
Royal: YOu ban trolls not losers and to respect Conservative I'll drop this if know one signs up in a week

you have only made 55 post on this site and already your a DDO elitist?

This is a perfect example of what is wrong right now with the forums. lannan brings up an worn out but yet always important topic. Instead of contributing with a rational response to either support or negate the message, the user resorts to a personal attack, then 2 members reply with comments like "lol".

If this is the way everyone wants to interact that is fine. But what annoys me is when we act this way, then complain about how DDO is overrun with trolls who can not have a rational discussion.

Well, you have to admit the idea of having a group of people 'giving up on debates' and switching over to targeting people who are believed to be trolls and putting them on a 'trial'. Imo, the trolls will simply become people who this 'police' do not like.

But criticizing a person activity is valid in these circumstances. Just how much about DDO does Ian know about with only 55 posts?

I don't support the idea of putting every perceived troll on trial as the OP apparently suggests. But if I were to respond to his post I would do so by explaining why I don't agree, not by attacking him for not knowing any better. If I am right, then negating his proposal should be easy so there is no need for me to point out how little he knows. Showing him why his proposal is unreasonable leads to productive discussion, which is the point of this site.

It's really not a big deal. But again, how many threads have been created in the last few weeks about the poor quality of DDO? Yet the same people who complain are the same ones who contribute to it with stuff like this.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:16:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Doesn't everyone agree that "unacceptable trolls" should be banned? The problem is the mechanism. It's not practical to have a trial for each flame. The site would be preoccupied with it, and to get a fair vote members would have to read a mountain of junk.

What works is to have a responsible moderator who warns "one more like that and you're outta here." Other web forums make that work. The problem is that having paid staff do moderating is very expensive, and recruiting volunteer moderators takes effort. Maybe members could vote for the moderator for each forum. In http://www.debate.org..., I suggested letting members moderate whatever thread they start.