Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is DDO Having a Mid-Life Crisis *

inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 1:43:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Another mass exodus has taken place here yet again. So what is the reason for it this time ? I thought that people valued friendship and sociality.
Perhaps they are being so selfish in what they demand or expect from us.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:06:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

This has happened a few times. In fact, I don't recognize many of the names around here anymore.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:11:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
People just come and go. I left for a time but came back. I just got burned out from debating but now I'm back again because the more I debate, the more I can fine-tune my arguments and see what aspects of my arguments I should abandon, keep, or adjust.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:12:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:11:39 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
People just come and go. I left for a time but came back. I just got burned out from debating but now I'm back again because the more I debate, the more I can fine-tune my arguments and see what aspects of my arguments I should abandon, keep, or adjust.

Maybe you should be more abstract.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:14:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)

Yadyyadyyady, it's obvious you just like to pretend ddo's going through another period of drama.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:20:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:14:47 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)

Yadyyadyyady, it's obvious you just like to pretend ddo's going through another period of drama.

Drama. Who said anything about drama ?
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:37:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:20:09 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:14:47 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)

Yadyyadyyady, it's obvious you just like to pretend ddo's going through another period of drama.

Drama. Who said anything about drama ?

Your extremely vague comment. Seriously, there is no mass exodus, removal, change, upheaval, etc. occurring in DDO. We get new users here every day. There is no problem.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
vmpire321
Posts: 4,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:42:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

UR BACK!

*hides dead giraffes*
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:48:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:37:08 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:20:09 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:14:47 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)

Yadyyadyyady, it's obvious you just like to pretend ddo's going through another period of drama.

Drama. Who said anything about drama ?

Your extremely vague comment. Seriously, there is no mass exodus, removal, change, upheaval, etc. occurring in DDO. We get new users here every day. There is no problem.

There is no argument you overanalytical racoon.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:57:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:48:08 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:37:08 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:20:09 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:14:47 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)

Yadyyadyyady, it's obvious you just like to pretend ddo's going through another period of drama.

Drama. Who said anything about drama ?

Your extremely vague comment. Seriously, there is no mass exodus, removal, change, upheaval, etc. occurring in DDO. We get new users here every day. There is no problem.

There is no argument you overanalytical racoon.

No, there is no argument. That's why I am saying you've made an extremely vague comment.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 2:58:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:57:10 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:48:08 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:37:08 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:20:09 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:14:47 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:08:25 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

Oh did you hear the news. There are more who are planning to leave here soon.
Its not over my friend. =)

Yadyyadyyady, it's obvious you just like to pretend ddo's going through another period of drama.

Drama. Who said anything about drama ?

Your extremely vague comment. Seriously, there is no mass exodus, removal, change, upheaval, etc. occurring in DDO. We get new users here every day. There is no problem.

There is no argument you overanalytical racoon.

No, there is no argument. That's why I am saying you've made an extremely vague comment.

Anyway. Next.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:05:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't think there is a mass exodus, it's just statistical fluctuation. I do think the site is deteriorating. Radical viewpoints are driving out real world thinking. Debate is about evidence and arguments, while extremists are into utopian dreams. The two are not compatible. Ideologues don't need to read a debate to know how to vote, as their belief is dictated by their own version of scripture. Thatmakes serious debate pointless. But this too may be a transient. The situation may correct.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:07:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 3:05:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I don't think there is a mass exodus, it's just statistical fluctuation. I do think the site is deteriorating. Radical viewpoints are driving out real world thinking. Debate is about evidence and arguments, while extremists are into utopian dreams. The two are not compatible. Ideologues don't need to read a debate to know how to vote, as their belief is dictated by their own version of scripture. That makes serious debate pointless. But this too may be a transient. The situation may correct.

Cool story bro, needs more dragons.

But seriously, I can see what you mean. the debates seem to be things people are emotionally invested in to an extent that voting is being crippled by personal views. I'm not saying less radicals, just more...what one would call "neutral" debates. Maybe official tournaments would help this out.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:10:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 3:05:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I don't think there is a mass exodus, it's just statistical fluctuation. I do think the site is deteriorating. Radical viewpoints are driving out real world thinking. Debate is about evidence and arguments, while extremists are into utopian dreams. The two are not compatible. Ideologues don't need to read a debate to know how to vote, as their belief is dictated by their own version of scripture. Thatmakes serious debate pointless. But this too may be a transient. The situation may correct.

I thought the site was finished when the "Ancap exodus" was going on, but it obviously wasn't... Also, the simple fact is that this is the best debate site on the web. As far as intellectual honesty goes. Yeah, for top DDO standards things might suck at some points, but I don't understand how people can b!tch and moan unless they propose some other alternative. DDO is still the best, it's still where I come to learn a lot of new things and test my beliefs.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:11:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 3:07:11 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/2/2012 3:05:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I don't think there is a mass exodus, it's just statistical fluctuation. I do think the site is deteriorating. Radical viewpoints are driving out real world thinking. Debate is about evidence and arguments, while extremists are into utopian dreams. The two are not compatible. Ideologues don't need to read a debate to know how to vote, as their belief is dictated by their own version of scripture. That makes serious debate pointless. But this too may be a transient. The situation may correct.

Cool story bro, needs more dragons.

But seriously, I can see what you mean. the debates seem to be things people are emotionally invested in to an extent that voting is being crippled by personal views. I'm not saying less radicals, just more...what one would call "neutral" debates. Maybe official tournaments would help this out.

Its not that Hawkins. It is that people usually become unspired or moticated because they lack creativity and are not abstract. If they feel that they are not able to keep up with the pace of this site, or adapt to their surroundings in spite of the downward spiral of the debates, then it is more personal than anything else.
I could care less actually, because I view the world without putting limitations on myself or others. To love people, is to understand them.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:15:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 2:42:51 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 2/2/2012 2:05:11 PM, phantom wrote:
3 people is hardly a mass exodus. I remember a time when we lost well over a dozen good members.

UR BACK!

I only deleted my account due to privacy concerns.

*hides dead giraffes*

*Shoots vmpire in head*
*Resurrects giraffe using vmpires soul, and belly button*

Zombie/vampire Giraffe!! (Refer to profile picture)
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:07:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm also back as well.....so the number of members that shrank has lowered. I think i'll be a little bit less active though and just stick mainly to the economics forum :).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:10:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 5:07:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I'm also back as well.....so the number of members that shrank has lowered. I think i'll be a little bit less active though and just stick mainly to the economics forum :).

It does not matter Kermit. Debate.org is what you make it. Now that Koopin is back, maybe that outta smack some sense into ya.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:13:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
4 left

000ike
M torres
Darkermit
I think 1 other. Maybe it's 3. But really it is a small scale exodus.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:26:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 5:13:39 PM, 16kadams wrote:
4 left

000ike
M torres

I think 1 other. Maybe it's 3. But really it is a small scale exodus.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:34:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 5:13:39 PM, 16kadams wrote:
4 left

000ike
M torres
Darkermit
I think 1 other. Maybe it's 3. But really it is a small scale exodus.

Like I said. When the word gets out that Koopin is back. The rest of the gang will follow.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:58:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 1:43:24 PM, inferno wrote:
Another mass exodus has taken place here yet again. So what is the reason for it this time ? I thought that people valued friendship and sociality.
Perhaps they are being so selfish in what they demand or expect from us.

quality of the site went down, especially in recent months.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 5:59:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 5:58:30 PM, DanT wrote:
At 2/2/2012 1:43:24 PM, inferno wrote:
Another mass exodus has taken place here yet again. So what is the reason for it this time ? I thought that people valued friendship and sociality.
Perhaps they are being so selfish in what they demand or expect from us.

quality of the site went down, especially in recent months.

Not really. People just got bored, nothing more. Since when was quality an issue. This site is damn near invisible. Are you kiddin me.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:01:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No matter how much you try, you can't truly abandon DDO. It is always with you.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:05:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 6:01:35 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No matter how much you try, you can't truly abandon DDO. It is always with you.

We get it. This place is actually crack in disguise. Are you some sort of DDO Drug Lord ? Pss.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:06:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 6:05:15 PM, inferno wrote:
At 2/2/2012 6:01:35 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No matter how much you try, you can't truly abandon DDO. It is always with you.

We get it. This place is actually crack in disguise. Are you some sort of DDO Drug Lord ? Pss.

*glances around* YOU KNOW TO MUCH! *grabs and drags away*
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 10:22:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 5:58:30 PM, DanT wrote:
At 2/2/2012 1:43:24 PM, inferno wrote:
Another mass exodus has taken place here yet again. So what is the reason for it this time ? I thought that people valued friendship and sociality.
Perhaps they are being so selfish in what they demand or expect from us.

quality of the site went down, especially in recent months.

This site is much much much much better than 99% of other sites like it.