Jump to topic:

Forum Realignment

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:33:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In the spirit of the MLB realignment, and the NHL's approaching realignment, I decided to look at the DDO forums and try to find a better way to organize them.

I first looked at the available numbers: topics and posts. I found the numbers that are on the forums home. Then I divided the topics by the posts by the topics to get posts per topic. Here are my results:

Forum Topic: Topics/Total Posts/Posts per topic
DDO: 3,209 / 86,842 / 27.1
Arts: 164 / 3,170 / 19.3
Economics:223 / 5,902 / 26.5
Education: 451 / 11,310 / 25.1
Entertainment: 983 / 14,852 / 15.1
Games: 894 / 78,569 / 87.9
Health: 252 / 7,762 / 30.8
Misc.: 2,401 / 121,067 / 50.4
News: 531 / 11,345 / 21.4
Personal: 527 / 15,612 / 29.6
Philosophy: 470 / 13,737 / 29.2
Politics: 2,677 / 90,093 / 33.7
Religion: 2,292 / 104,185 / 45.5
Science: 502 / 13,295 / 26.5
Society: 913 / 35,341 / 38.7
Sports: 454 / 7,918 / 17.4
Technology: 385 / 5,459 / 14.2

As you can see, and probably know, the forums are not equal. The Religion forum is certainly more popular than the Tech forum. So, there is certainly some forums that are being left alone like fruitcake at Christmas. So, in an unscientific process, I clustered together some lacking forums:

Arts+Entertainment+Sports=POP CULTURE
Education+Health+Personal=PERSONAL
Science+Technology=SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

I also know that my results could be skewed by the fact that I have no idea which forums were in place when; I know that the DDO forum was up first; the games forum was up after the Misc. forum; and that the philosophy forum was up after religion forum. So I do not know the true success and failure of some forums. However, I think that the information above will be helpful in giving the forums a well-deserved rearrangement.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 9:38:48 PM
I'd also appreciate the community's input. Your opinion on the matter helps in the sending of the best possible realignment of the forums. *Someone, probably CosmicAlphonso, kvetches about Juggle's not going to do anything*
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 10:05:59 PM
what about adding 'news' to your 'popculture' and just call it 'Culture'?

I actually had an idea once that might boost activity for the news forum and make it a unique special part of DDO

I would need other people to help me who are from different states, preferably in different general parts of the U.S.

For example
Me, Virginian
_______, (northwestern territory state)
_______, (deep south state)
_______, (Yankee state)
_______, (Midwestern State, south)
_______, (northern Midwestern State)
_______, (West Coast state)

once we have a few of these we could agree to basically hold a state level news media outlet of our own here on DDO. I got to thinking politics and news wide we mostly just talk about national topics of intrest that everyone heres about like the presidential race and congressional bills in washington, stuff like that.

But what about all the topic worthy stuff that happens in our home states. I bet none of you ever here about what a cool republican Govner Bob McDonald is or the drama going on right now with state senet that will probably have the vice-govner making tie braker votes a lot. Uranium mining, off-shore drilling, natural gas resorces, mandatory ultrasounds before abortions..... we got lots of cool stuff going on in virginia but they dont affect the rest of the country but that does not mean there not worth talking about.

but you know I have no idea what the state news is of most the other states. I know a few like Bobby Jindal in Louisiana, thats about it. what bills are going through causing drama in the other states? i could take time to google it myself but wouldnt it be cooler if we reported our state news here on DDO?

anyway I just thought it would be cool if 6 other DDO'ers could band with me and commit to reporting the stuff that just pops up in our states newspapers.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 10:07:11 PM
hmm, good ideas overall.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 12:19:37 AM
I still think Education Health and Personal should be separated. I agree with the others. However, although this has been discussed to death: DDO should have a history section.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 9:04:32 AM
At 2/4/2012 12:19:37 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I still think Education Health and Personal should be separated. I agree with the others. However, although this has been discussed to death: DDO should have a history section.

Yeah, I can see your point with the edu/health/personal forums separated. But it seems like anything that would not be in Personal would go in either the science (for health) or society (for education).

The history forum seems to be a forum which will wind up like the health forum: a rather frivolous topic not doing much.

@Marauder: I like your idea. Living in Mississippi, I'd be the deep south reporter.