Jump to topic:

Voting for yourself?

dvhoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2009 6:36:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What is the overall consensus on this site on voting for yourself in a debate?

Is it morally right? If your opponent doesn't vote for themselves (or doesn't vote at all), is it morally right? Why would the system allow us to vote in our debates if we weren't supposed to vote? Is it perceived as arrogant or unsportsman-like?

Just wanting to get some different opinions...
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2009 6:43:24 PM
It wouldn't be right only if you don't think you truly won the debate. If you believe that you won, then you should vote. If you're voting just to make yourself win even though you clearly lost, then it's not right.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2009 6:44:33 PM
At 6/10/2009 6:36:56 PM, dvhoose wrote:
What is the overall consensus on this site on voting for yourself in a debate?

Is it morally right? If your opponent doesn't vote for themselves (or doesn't vote at all), is it morally right? Why would the system allow us to vote in our debates if we weren't supposed to vote? Is it perceived as arrogant or unsportsman-like?

Just wanting to get some different opinions...

I posted the same topic about a week ago. You can read through what the people said here:
http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 2:05:45 PM
Why would voting for yourself be immoral? Why would not voting at all, or voting against yourself be immoral? I don't think there's anything arrogant about voting for yourself either. Personally, I feel that I have won about 99& of the debates I've participated in (unless, of course, I had to forfeit any rounds). Also, I have, on occasion, voted against myself if I saw fit, i.e. a debate in which I did not complete or had to forfeit. Isn't the point of voting to judge who performed better? If I happened to be that person, so be it.
President of DDO