Jump to topic:

What's with all the crappy debates?

Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:28:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The vast majority of debates in voting period on the front page of the website are crappy like "purple is not a color", "the Giants won the superbowl", "the sun is better than the moon", "warmer weather is better than cooler weather", and "dogs and better than cats". The percentage of stupid debates have increased lately. What's with it?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:30:50 PM
At 2/10/2012 5:28:35 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
The vast majority of debates in voting period on the front page of the website are crappy like "purple is not a color", "the Giants won the superbowl", "the sun is better than the moon", "warmer weather is better than cooler weather", and "dogs and better than cats". The percentage of stupid debates have increased lately. What's with it?

Its just a quick influx of trolls. It'll be over with in a couple days.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 5:44:25 PM
Accept them so they are removed from the challenge list, post "I accept" or a 5 minute argument, and you've helped the community imo.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 8:02:14 PM
At 2/10/2012 5:44:25 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Accept them so they are removed from the challenge list, post "I accept" or a 5 minute argument, and you've helped the community imo.

Good idea. I have already done a couple of them, such as "Summer vs Winter" and "Best Strategy PC Game". I have I guess done my part.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 8:03:24 PM
Guys, saying these are crappy is opinion. Don't "remove them" simple because you think its a bad topic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
wmpeebles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:26:45 PM
There is a difference between a serious debate with a topic that actually is controversial verses a topic that has no real purpose. It's not like we are wanting to remove those debates because we think they are bad topics, but we genuinely feel that the topic has no real purpose in the world. For example, debating "the sun is better than the moon" is completely pointless, nothing about it is controversial and debating it accomplishes nothing constructive or productive.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:38:05 PM
are you all so blind you couldnt realize they were all fake accounts owned by the same person just spamming debates???
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:44:43 PM
At 2/10/2012 10:38:05 PM, imabench wrote:
are you all so blind you couldnt realize they were all fake accounts owned by the same person just spamming debates???

So you are saying that somebody is just spamming tons of trolls that are not even real, and that this website will get fixed soon (hopefully)?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 11:57:02 PM
At 2/10/2012 10:44:43 PM, Contra wrote:

So you are saying that somebody is just spamming tons of trolls that are not even real, and that this website will get fixed soon (hopefully)?

...you can't fix a website...I mean for its size and sophistication its designed quite well. There is nothing you can do to stop trolls from coming onto the site...you can only discourage them from doing so.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 3:15:48 AM
At 2/10/2012 8:02:14 PM, Contra wrote:
At 2/10/2012 5:44:25 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Good idea. I have already done a couple of them, such as "Summer vs Winter" and "Best Strategy PC Game". I have I guess done my part.

Many young or first time debaters just pick random subjects and throw it out there to get their feet wet. There is nothing wrong with debating whether Summer is better then Winter, or the best strategy PC games. If you don't find the topics interesting then don't read them. If no one finds the topics interesting then no one will accept. But accepting and not engaging (with the exception of obvious trolling debates) amounts to nothing more then depriving someone else of enjoying what this site has to offer.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:07:02 AM
At 2/10/2012 8:03:24 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Guys, saying these are crappy is opinion. Don't "remove them" simple because you think its a bad topic.

Ober, they are crappy as per the debate standard, level of intelligence that goes into topics, and general ineptitude of the writers. If you accept them, then they'll either post a good argument, and fair to them, but they'll most likely post nothing at all / 1 sentence argument, and you've helped the community by keeping good debate challenges accessible.

Also, we have elected moderators and presidents in order to remove debates on our behalf that are below par. I hope that they can do their job by listening to their electorates and removing these trolls.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 7:25:53 AM
At 2/11/2012 4:07:02 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Ober, they are crappy as per the debate standard, level of intelligence that goes into topics, and general ineptitude of the writers. If you accept them, then they'll either post a good argument, and fair to them, but they'll most likely post nothing at all / 1 sentence argument, and you've helped the community by keeping good debate challenges accessible.

Also, we have elected moderators and presidents in order to remove debates on our behalf that are below par. I hope that they can do their job by listening to their electorates and removing these trolls.

Who decides that?

just because YOU think thy are "inferior" does not make them so, and all this is you simply deciding how high "quality" our debates should be.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 9:42:23 AM
1 round debates with 1 sentence arguments on frivolous subjects created in spontaneous hoards by trolls have no display of effort or seriousness. Why should they stay?

In every website there are standards. If you submit a scribble or stick figures on an art website, it gets deleted. If you spam numerous topics of little value on some forums, they get deleted. Standards make a website professional, and standards invite quality members that make the website great. You tear down standards, and so do you destroy quality.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wmpeebles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 12:22:32 PM
At 2/11/2012 9:42:23 AM, 000ike wrote:
1 round debates with 1 sentence arguments on frivolous subjects created in spontaneous hoards by trolls have no display of effort or seriousness. Why should they stay?

In every website there are standards. If you submit a scribble or stick figures on an art website, it gets deleted. If you spam numerous topics of little value on some forums, they get deleted. Standards make a website professional, and standards invite quality members that make the website great. You tear down standards, and so do you destroy quality.

Amen!
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 12:51:09 PM
At 2/11/2012 7:25:53 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/11/2012 4:07:02 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Who decides that?

just because YOU think thy are "inferior" does not make them so, and all this is you simply deciding how high "quality" our debates should be.

Agreed. If it is just me, then it would be an authoritarian website with no legitimacy. However, as the debate standard is set by the consensus of the community, and removed by those we democratically elect and they listen to the opinion of the masses, my claim that they can be removed is rational and legitimate.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 2:09:13 PM

Imabench has been particularly useful in cleaning up the obvious fake debates. He deserves some credit for the behind the scenes work in that.

Andromeda has been useful in cleaning up the spam in the forums, especially the ones that have been advertising television programs (pirated I assume).

Both have been pretty good at identifying the profiles that have created the crap as well.