Jump to topic:

multi-accounts

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 8:57:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hypothetical question about multi-accounts. If two people who share a computer have accounts here, in Innomen did an IP check, would they be banned? I have heard about some people having multi-accounts and I thought of this scenario
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 9:15:47 PM
At 2/10/2012 8:57:23 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Hypothetical question about multi-accounts. If two people who share a computer have accounts here, in Innomen did an IP check, would they be banned? I have heard about some people having multi-accounts and I thought of this scenario

theyd be banned on the spot...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 9:16:19 PM
Innomen did an IP check

Some people who are trolls and multi-accounted would be banned. However, this would lead to other implications as well. I have my own account on my own PC, I am Contra, obviously. However, my brother also has an account, and his computer is on the floor above mine, and sometimes the IP is identical. Innomen's test may make it so that me AND my brother's accounts are deleted, although we have done nothing wrong. All I have done with my brother's account is help set his profile up based on his views, we have debated on a few topics, and I have asked him to vote on my debates based on the debates... not because of me being in them.

However, if me and my brother were able to tell innomen this, maybe he will let us off the chopping block.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:15:03 PM
At 2/10/2012 8:57:23 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

To answer this, they probably would not be banned on the spot. There is not enough proof just with the IP. For example, if you have something called a dynamic IP your IP address is constantly shifting. If two or more people have dynamic IPs then, potentially at one time or another, they both could have the exact same IP address. This is tough on admins simply because your IP shifts in a certain range. The only way to block an alleged multi-account would be to block that range which may affect other users. Many spammers also use proxies which is basically impossible to block. (There are to many).

Also, even with static IPs there is a problem. For example, if I was to go to school, log in and post, then someone else logs in after me on the same computer, same IPs different accounts. Both people are completely unrelated.

To look for multi-accounters it would be better to do the following. Just basing allegations off of IPs is extremely irresponsible:

1. User Agents

Also known as bots, they crawl through the internet (or specific website) looking for similarities between passwords. (If two users have the exact same password or hash they most likely are multi-accounters). Many different kinds.

2. Cookies (computer not the thing you eat)

This one is fairly obvious. It stores packets of information sending a message to an admin.

3. Users with the same password

If you force people to remember a 5 digit password (that is not just 00000, for example). There is an infinitesimally small chance 2 people will have the same password.

4. Either program, or person reading posts and debates

Is the writing style the same.

If you ban purely based upon IP addresses you could be banning people who are doing absolutely nothing wrong.