Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Hi!

DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 8:18:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Others may disagree, but I recommend that, before getting your feet wet with an actual debate, you spend some time reading completed debates, especially when top debaters were one of the debaters. It'll give you a taste of the style of serious written debate we (for the most part) do here.

When you decide to debate:

DO NOT post your resolution (what you're debating) as a question. Pose it as a statement. For example: DON'T say "Is chocolate better than vanilla?" (random example). DO say "Chocolate is better than vanilla." Or, if you wanna get fancy: "RESOLVED: Chocolate is better than vanilla."

Be clear and concise when you debate. Use logical; reasoning, and sources when you can. But most of all, HAVE FUN. I was new to online debate (and debate in general) when I joined. It's a learning experience--just stick with it and you'll get better. Trust me. Welcome to DDO! :)
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 8:20:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Define your terms
2. State your rules
3. Don't do 1 round debates
4. Have the first round for acceptance
5. Order your arguments
6. Don't argue in the first round unless your opponent says you can
7. Don't bring up new arguments in the last round
8. You can defend attacked points

I think that's enough for now.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 8:22:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 8:13:08 PM, wingalbrave wrote:
Hey, guys! I am new to debate, but I want to try it out. Can you give me some tips?

Vodka. Lots and lots of vodka.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 8:33:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 8:22:37 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 2/13/2012 8:13:08 PM, wingalbrave wrote:
Hey, guys! I am new to debate, but I want to try it out. Can you give me some tips?

Vodka. Lots and lots of vodka.

I use whiskey myself. Well unless I'm dealing with a troll. With trolls, only wood-grain alcohol will cut it. When I'm done I can use it to get the varnish off my tabletops. It has two uses!
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 8:48:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Make sure that resolutions are statements. Questions are awkward to deal with.

Make sure resolutions are SINGULAR not PLURAL. A singular debate would be "Japan should abandon nuclear energy", because the CON simply has to explain why Japan should retain nuclear energy. They may argue in favour of, for example, solar power, or coal. In contrast, a plural debate, or compound debate, like "Japan should abandon nuclear energy and adopt wind power" should be avoided, because that involves two debates. This is OK in EYP (European Youth Parliament) because their resolutions are a ridiculous amount of f**king pages long (Yes, I am ranting for getting my resolution for an impromptu debate where the resolution was 5 pages long. It took half my time to read and understand the debate). However, outside of EYP it is irritating and poor form.
TL;DR version: Make sure there is only 1 resolution in the resolution.

When debating, don't use things like "R1" or "P1" for rebuttal 1 and point/premise 1. Split it into clash points.
Example: http://www.debate.org...

When my opponent used C1 (clash point), he used it 8 or 9 times in the first argument, which, in any irl debate if you had that many clash points, would be simply gish galloping, and would mean you lose marks. If you use actual clash points (I used politics, culture and philosophy) you can talk about the specifics (in politics, I think I talked about democracy, parliament and the constitution) as sub-points. This keeps the debate clean and easy to view. Also, keeping up with 10 clash points is difficult, especially if you wish to concede any or change ground or combine points.

Use first rounds for acceptance and definitions, subsequent 3 rounds for argumentation.

End Clash points with minisummary sentences that affirm the resolution. For example, if PRO debates that "Japan should abandon nuclear energy" - 'In short, the Japanese people have lost faith in nuclear energy, and it would be a wise political move to abandon it, and promote the will of the people". That reaffirms the resolution, and makes it clear what your point is.

Also, look up "fisking", it is a great way to rebut for novice debaters.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 9:38:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Don't lose hope. Always be sure you can win. Might sound cliched, but it sure helps.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 9:42:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 9:38:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Don't lose hope. Always be sure you can win. Might sound cliched, but it sure helps.

And don't get discouraged when you go on a losing streak >.>
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2012 10:58:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I formally welcome you to my empire. You may now pledge allegiance to kfc, boxxy, Eris Goddess of Discord, I, FREEDO, emporer of these DebateDotOrg, and something else which means absolutely nothing to you.

If you do not comply, you will be swiftly banned and sent to the DDO netherworld which looks exactly like the normal DDO and has users that also appear to be exactly the same.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 11:47:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/13/2012 8:13:08 PM, wingalbrave wrote:
Hey, guys! I am new to debate, but I want to try it out. Can you give me some tips?

Art, argument, and advocacy: mastering parliamentary debate <-- Get that book.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...