Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

What would happen if we got really popular?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:36:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What would happen if we got really popular, like several hundred-thousand really active members?

Be strange...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:36:45 PM
At 2/14/2012 7:36:01 PM, OberHerr wrote:
What would happen if we got really popular, like several hundred-thousand really active members?

Be strange...

We'd all get laid.
President of DDO
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:38:06 PM
More trolling, quarrels in the threads and personal disputes and hostilities, but with perhaps a glimpse of more insight and help (though that depends on the composition of the new community).
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:43:38 PM
The quality of the site would hit rock bottom. Because so many people would be active and online at all times, long and well-thought out forum posts would be swept away by surges of trivial comments such as the 1st one on this thread. It would be difficult to sustain a forum conversation with anyone. Spam would go through the roof, the troll::honest member ratio would explode. Voting would increase, with a lot more votes per debate, but because there are so many votes, people will feel less obligated to vote honestly with decent RFDs since their decisions would be concealed by a sea of others. Debates would not receive as much attention, since they'd be flying through the homepage before more than 2 people even got to see them.

If this website was popular, it'd have to change its name to neo-facebook.org.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
LibertyCampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:46:56 PM
At 2/14/2012 7:36:01 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Be strange...

The main page would need remodeling. And there would need to be a large increase in moderating staff. The forums would need a lot more categories, especially the games section. We'd never get to the bottom of many issues, like religious arguments. I don't think the website would retain its repeal.
"[Society] has no vested interest in continuing to exist." -RP
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:49:10 PM
At 2/14/2012 7:38:37 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I'd leave.

Same. I become less active as it is when there are surges of new members, which usually happens around the end of the school year.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 7:51:22 PM
At 2/14/2012 7:49:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'd leave.

Same. I become less active as it is when there are surges of new members, which usually happens around the end of the school year.

My reason would be that I'd be lost in the swamp of members. I like how it is now, because one knows everybody else. And forum threads are relatively easy to keep up with.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 8:13:57 PM
000ike puts it very well.

At first I thought, yeah I'd probably leave. But the fact is, mostly it would just effect forums and voting. I personally prefer to argue in debates than in the forums and debates would still be top quality. Thus I would still be able to have great debates. Sure voting quality would go down. But I honestly think if this site did get ultra popular I wouldn't care a whole lot about how the voting turned out, and the content of the debate is really what matters most.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 8:54:41 PM
If this website was popular, it'd have to change its name to neo-facebook.org.

I would hope it wouldn't for many reasons. Like last night I got into an debate on abortion on Facebook, and it got pretty intense and hit many different types of sides, including societal, biblical, economical, fairness, etc.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 9:01:33 PM
I don't know why this site isn't popular by now though. It's the first thing that comes up when you search "debate.com"...a generic search for anyone curious if such a site exists. On top of that, its the only debate website out of all that come up on the search that has a remotely inviting aesthetic arrangement. The other 'debate' websites look like disorganized pseudo-forums and obscure creations with only 2-3 people visiting it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 9:06:35 PM
At 2/14/2012 9:01:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
I don't know why this site isn't popular by now though. It's the first thing that comes up when you search "debate.com"...a generic search for anyone curious if such a site exists. On top of that, its the only debate website out of all that come up on the search that has a remotely inviting aesthetic arrangement. The other 'debate' websites look like disorganized pseudo-forums and obscure creations with only 2-3 people visiting it.

I totally agree with this. DDO's format is extremely easy to use and is one of the things that drew me into this site whereas on most other sites, it is difficult to even find out which link does what.

As for what happens if the popularity increased, it depends on the members. If the new members are interested in debates, serious discussions, voting, and are in general productive members of this site, then the site would improve. If they are mostly trolls, then of course quality would decline. It all depends on who the new members are going to be.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 9:10:47 PM
At 2/14/2012 9:06:35 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

As for what happens if the popularity increased, it depends on the members. If the new members are interested in debates, serious discussions, voting, and are in general productive members of this site, then the site would improve. If they are mostly trolls, then of course quality would decline. It all depends on who the new members are going to be.

Yes! So no-one go start mass advertising this site on Omegle or anything like that!
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 10:12:52 PM

Also I look up a topic, say gay marriage, and DDO debates pop up.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 10:22:32 PM
At 2/14/2012 10:12:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Also I look up a topic, say gay marriage, and DDO debates pop up.

Lolz yeah, we've found this site while researching in debate class a few times. Its awk.

They've [essentially] plagiarized weirdman, bangbangcocunut, and merciless more than a few times.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 10:34:47 PM
At 2/14/2012 7:51:22 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 2/14/2012 7:49:10 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I'd leave.

My reason would be that I'd be lost in the swamp of members. I like how it is now, because one knows everybody else. And forum threads are relatively easy to keep up with.

This. That's one of the reasons mafia here is particularly good. Any other place I've played, I've been with new people each game. Here, I know all of them. Plus, anymore, I rarely see a name I don't recognize.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena