Jump to topic:

The downfall of the society...

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 5:40:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
We've built a society on a shallow foundation, trite and alienating standards, and uncompromising norms that turn individuals into automatons. Most people are content with the standing society has on certain topics like morality, religion, fairness, and dare not think beyond what they've been systematically spoonfed. As a result, people are so apt to hatred, blame, and bitter indictment, reactions motivated by emotion rather than reason. We've built a society that creates suffering on all fronts, the most heinous being the psychological, such that there cannot be a hell more excruciating and thorough than the one in which we dwell.

If society falls, there is nothing to blame but society itself.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 7:50:15 AM
Who says there is a downfall?

We've evolved in our values, and we are advancing at a frightening pace. There are some people who are limiting this growth, and this limitation is causing problems. When we all agreed to societal rules - through force, I might add - we had a stable government (to a point).

Now, we have more rights, more freedoms, and less and less force is being used against us to think and act in a certain way. We lived in a society of "god-fearing Christians" before, where religion and the State forced standards upon us. Now we are evolving past that point into a postmodernist world, and this conflict of standards is the source of conflict.

Growth is a double-edged sword for society: growing society leads to improvements, but there are always people who lag behind, and because it is not socially acceptable anymore (and good thing too) to force people to act and think in a certain way, we have lag. I attribute hate groups, and entities like the WBC church to being symptoms of this lag, as well as other groups. Society will need to grow up, and we have to let this happen naturally. The artificial force behind society is one that we have removed, and this is creating more and more progress through natural means. Once we cast off artificial shunts stopping growth, then we will grow.

The downfall of society is our lift to a better one. Growth is a double-edged sword, but one I would not sheathe, and I hope that we will not.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:15:03 PM
At 2/16/2012 5:24:41 AM, DAN123 wrote:
Who should be blamed for the downfall of the society? FAMILY OR GOVERNMENT?

YOUR MOM
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2012 12:51:15 PM
At 2/16/2012 5:24:41 AM, DAN123 wrote:
Who should be blamed for the downfall of the society? FAMILY OR GOVERNMENT?

If there is such a thing as a Downfall of Society, then the culprit is the person who believes that society has downfallen.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227