Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Wikipedia

Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 9:39:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do people class wikipedia as a good source?

(may be relevant : http://en.wikipedia.org...)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 9:49:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yes, I believe wikipedia is a very reliable source, as far as popular subjects are concerned. If you look up Eistein, and someone mistakenly edited it to say he invented the first spacecraft, that would easily be corrected.

However, the more complex and obscure you get, the less reliable wikipedia will be. If I searched Neutrinos and in there it was described as the building blocks of electrons, then who that didn't already know what neutrinos were would suspect that to be incorrect?

The way wikipedia corrects information is what we should question ultimately.

"The Wikipedia model allows anyone to edit, and relies on a large number of well-intentioned editors to overcome issues raised by a smaller number of problematic editors. It is inherent in Wikipedia's editing model that misleading information can be added, but over time quality is anticipated to improve in a form of group learning as editors reach consensus, so that substandard edits will very rapidly be removed. This assumption is still being tested, and its limitations and reliability are not yet a settled matter"

So while wikipedia is reliable on somethings, it is certainly reasonable to distrust it. So, anyone that "counters" a vote because it said that "wikipedia is not a good source" is just secretly votebombing.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 9:53:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it is a reliable source, but shouldn't be used too much.

I also think we should have a standard at DDO that it IS a reliable source, and not to bring points down for using it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 9:58:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Great link.

I never mind when people use Wikipedia against me, because I can---if the information is wrong---edit Wikipedia and cite the corrected version right back at them.
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 10:04:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/17/2012 9:53:59 AM, OberHerr wrote:
I think it is a reliable source, but shouldn't be used too much.

I also think we should have a standard at DDO that it IS a reliable source, and not to bring points down for using it.

Nothing wrong with using it. We have to vote on who has the _more_ reliable sources, though, so there can't be a standard since we don't know what it's being compared to.

It's actually good news, this discussion. So often we see points voted for "more sources," rather than, "more-reliable sources."
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 10:18:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/17/2012 10:04:37 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/17/2012 9:53:59 AM, OberHerr wrote:
I think it is a reliable source, but shouldn't be used too much.

I also think we should have a standard at DDO that it IS a reliable source, and not to bring points down for using it.

Nothing wrong with using it. We have to vote on who has the _more_ reliable sources, though, so there can't be a standard since we don't know what it's being compared to.

It's actually good news, this discussion. So often we see points voted for "more sources," rather than, "more-reliable sources."

However I do not think people should lose source points if the material is also cited and easy to obtain from Wikipedia.

Actually I change my mind. You should just use the link provided as a source.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 10:30:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/17/2012 10:18:01 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 2/17/2012 10:04:37 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/17/2012 9:53:59 AM, OberHerr wrote:
I think it is a reliable source, but shouldn't be used too much.

I also think we should have a standard at DDO that it IS a reliable source, and not to bring points down for using it.

Nothing wrong with using it. We have to vote on who has the _more_ reliable sources, though, so there can't be a standard since we don't know what it's being compared to.

It's actually good news, this discussion. So often we see points voted for "more sources," rather than, "more-reliable sources."

However I do not think people should lose source points if the material is also cited and easy to obtain from Wikipedia.

Actually I change my mind. You should just use the link provided by Wikipedia as a source.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 11:35:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is highly sourced info, just use the things that have a footnote, not the things that have "citation needed". Also if one believed Wikipedia was inaccurate, then the link isn't reliable. ;)
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 12:41:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Any website can be unreliable: Encyclopedia Britannica is thought of as being the most reliable encyclopedias around, but wikipedia is usually more reliable. It's also usually up to date.

Also, with the obscurity issue, that means you can have a dispute between sources, and claim that one is wrong. I have done so in a debate on marijuana due to the source material of an opponent which was close, but a more blatant one was one I did on gay marriage (opponent cited the FRI - family research institute - which has been stated many times as faulty by the APA and publically vilified by the CPA http://www.debate.org...)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 1:06:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/17/2012 12:41:34 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Any website can be unreliable: Encyclopedia Britannica is thought of as being the most reliable encyclopedias around, but wikipedia is usually more reliable. It's also usually up to date.

Also, with the obscurity issue, that means you can have a dispute between sources, and claim that one is wrong. I have done so in a debate on marijuana due to the source material of an opponent which was close, but a more blatant one was one I did on gay marriage (opponent cited the FRI - family research institute - which has been stated many times as faulty by the APA and publically vilified by the CPA http://www.debate.org...)

I re read it... Why did I vote for him?!?!

The FRI has multiple sources, do of I ever debate you and use it and you claim it's a bad source, I will refer you to their 50 sources :)
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 3:40:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think wikipedia is great for checking statistics. For instance, if you want to know the number of casualities from a war or the total budget for NASA in a specific year, wikipedia is a great source. However, when looking for studies and trends done by professionals, it is much more effective to find out where the original data came from. Just clicking on the references should take you to some really good sources which you can then read and make your own conclusions based on that. I do somewhat agree that voters "countering" votes simply because they disagree with the previous voter about the legitimacy of wikipedia is not justified.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 4:24:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/17/2012 1:06:54 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 2/17/2012 12:41:34 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Any website can be unreliable: Encyclopedia Britannica is thought of as being the most reliable encyclopedias around, but wikipedia is usually more reliable. It's also usually up to date.

Also, with the obscurity issue, that means you can have a dispute between sources, and claim that one is wrong. I have done so in a debate on marijuana due to the source material of an opponent which was close, but a more blatant one was one I did on gay marriage (opponent cited the FRI - family research institute - which has been stated many times as faulty by the APA and publically vilified by the CPA http://www.debate.org...)

I re read it... Why did I vote for him?!?!
I don't know, personally, I was wondering myself ;p

The FRI has multiple sources, do of I ever debate you and use it and you claim it's a bad source, I will refer you to their 50 sources :)

...errm, I am not sure what that means...

It is a bad source because a) two much more affluent and major conglomerates of psychologists state how the FRI is bias many times and b) I believe I stated how the study done was flawed repeatedly.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 5:45:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wikipedia is reliable for statistics, basic definitions, historical events, and not being biased. Anything else though is questionable
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015