Jump to topic:

Telling the contender to go first

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 4:21:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I notice that an abundant amount of instigators start the debate off by saying "I will allow my opponent to go first", ONLY to end up responding to their arguments alone in the following instigator round. What do members here think of this practice?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 4:35:24 PM
It can only lead you to lose if you have BOP.

I guess that it depends on the resolution if the instigator is CON.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 5:52:14 PM
When I judge debates, I assign both debaters some burden of proof based off the controversiality of their respective claims (which typically is about equal). So in my mind, these people are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Debaters should remember that BoP is a highly controversial issue. The best thing you can do to satisfy all voters is to always provide a case.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2009 11:52:31 PM
Fine by me if Con, but I don't matter if yer goin for votes.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 10:20:11 AM
Most people that do this are still learning. It seems that they view debate as merely refutation rather than building their case and defending it. What they need is for someone to explain to them so that they can learn.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 12:00:00 PM
Yes, many do need to be taught the basics of both debate and the site dynamics. Didn't we have some project we were working on to help do that? :)
Don't I take care of them all?
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2009 12:13:46 PM
You should remember that we did, since you organized it. :)

It is located at PoeJoe's fansite: debatefans.com

I'm sure it could use further expansion and be put in a more conspicuous location for new debaters, though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 1:55:37 PM
Personally, telling the contender to go first REALLY annoys me. If you think that Communism sucks and want to argue for Capitalism, it's pointless to create a resolution that states "Communism is better than Capitalism," choose the Con position, and then in R1 say something along the lines of allowing Pro to post first, as "customary," and then in addition to that assert that Pro is the one with the burden. Hmph! Have some balls and rearrange the resolution so that you can be Pro, i.e. Capitalism is better than Communism... or at least make an argument in R1. Personally, I think much less of a debater who can only argue from the Con position. Being a good debater means that you can go both first and second; both dismantle a case as well as establish one without anything to respond to.
President of DDO