Jump to topic:

MIG's Round and Round Tourney

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 5:20:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've entertained this idea for some months now and have finally decided to do it as a way to contribute to the community.

Here is how the debate will work.
There will be 8 subjects--general ones that cover broad arrays (as well as types of debates) to match the 8 pairs of debaters, who will be randomly selected to debate each other. Note that if any participant contends that there was vote-bombing on his/her debate, please note it here. I will look to it, along with a panel of unnamed judges (who will be named in the end) of three, and decide--with the recommendations of the panel as well as some insight into the matter.

A subject will be chosen (and note ONLY ONE) per pair each round (eight debates in the first round, hypothetically four, and a final two).

If there are any ties in a debate, the two debaters are obligated to debate each other on a different resolution but in the same topic. (Remember I will make the topic broad enough to cover a variety of topics that can serve as the fountain spring for the new debate.....or at least try to, at the best of my efforts).

So, three rounds.
Subjects will be chosen, but as a hint, I will make sure that they are not as broad as, say, "science" but not as specific as Chomsky linguistics and so forth.

"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 5:28:56 PM

Sorry, forgot to add the numbers...

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 6:01:55 PM
Bump.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 6:10:40 PM
At 2/17/2012 5:20:41 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
I've entertained this idea for some months now and have finally decided to do it as a way to contribute to the community.

There will be 8 subjects--general ones that cover broad arrays (as well as types of debates) to match the 8 pairs of debaters, who will be randomly selected to debate each other. Note that if any participant contends that there was vote-bombing on his/her debate, please note it here. I will look to it, along with a panel of unnamed judges (who will be named in the end) of three, and decide--with the recommendations of the panel as well as some insight into the matter.

A subject will be chosen (and note ONLY ONE) per pair each round (eight debates in the first round, hypothetically four, and a final two).

If there are any ties in a debate, the two debaters are obligated to debate each other on a different resolution but in the same topic. (Remember I will make the topic broad enough to cover a variety of topics that can serve as the fountain spring for the new debate.....or at least try to, at the best of my efforts).

So, three rounds.
Subjects will be chosen, but as a hint, I will make sure that they are not as broad as, say, "science" but not as specific as Chomsky linguistics and so forth.

1. Stephen_Hawkins

Can you give an example of a category?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 6:33:54 PM
At 2/17/2012 6:10:40 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

So, three rounds.

1. Stephen_Hawkins

Philosophy of science?
(Oh, and I'll make sure to keep that as a category)....

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2012 8:49:36 PM
Bump....

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 5:35:58 PM
At 2/17/2012 8:49:36 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Bump....

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 6:02:49 PM

So, three rounds.

1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Logic_on_rails

Never done a tournament before.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2012 7:30:16 PM
At 2/18/2012 6:02:49 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

So, three rounds.

1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Logic_on_rails

Never done a tournament before.

Neither have I....:)
Hopefully, it'll turn out alright......

I will be posting news on this forum every now and then, such as the deadline to which I will post the 8 categories.....

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 10:36:29 AM
Bump.....

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 5:34:05 PM
Please, sign up for this tourney....

I will let members bring up subjects they are interested in as potential candidates for my eight subjects...

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 11:35:36 PM
I have created a draft of the list but will reconsider tomorrow.

And sign, sign, sign!!!

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 5:52:24 PM
I'll have to wait....again.....

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:08:25 PM
At 2/20/2012 5:54:59 PM, Viper-King wrote:
well if u want me to accept, i could. if u feel like u allow me to sign up just put me on the list.

You can sign up on the list......

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 9:08:50 PM
1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Logic_on_rails
3. RoyLatham
4. Viper King

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 9:32:57 AM
At 2/20/2012 10:42:40 PM, Viper-King wrote:
C'mon peoples SIGN UP!!!!

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 12:06:39 PM
At 2/21/2012 9:32:57 AM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 2/20/2012 10:42:40 PM, Viper-King wrote:
C'mon peoples SIGN UP!!!!

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 10:54:20 PM
Okay....five down....eleven more to go.......:(

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 12:39:59 PM
At 2/21/2012 11:06:14 PM, Viper-King wrote:

For a moment, I thought Innomen posted this.....

But anyway, please do....members of DDO.:)

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 1:08:39 PM
1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Logic_on_rails
3. RoyLatham
4. Viper King
5. royalpaladin
6. FourTrouble
7. Lannan13
16.]
Attention if you like tourneys then join Lannan13's Neo tourney aswell.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 1:51:41 PM
At 2/22/2012 1:05:45 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Logic_on_rails
3. RoyLatham
4. Viper King
5. royalpaladin
6. FourTrouble

Welcome to the site, FourTrouble.:)

vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 2:08:44 PM
1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Logic_on_rails
3. RoyLatham
4. Viper King
5. royalpaladin
6. FourTrouble
7. Lannan13
8. Vmpire321
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:34:07 PM
Bump.