Would anyone mind if....

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:08:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I cleaned up this forum?

I have put in a separate PM Royal and Jimmy with moderators. They're disputes will be dealt with in a more constructive format. I've asked those who tend to side with each to respect the process that has been initiated.

In the mean time, would there be objection if i removed some of these threads?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:11:05 PM
I object if it means any banter is lost to murky depths of the internet. If it is just angry people saying angry things, then delete the thread and give them hugs from me. Angry people probably just weren't hugged enough as kids.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:13:04 PM
IMO, no....To be frank, I dislike how untidy the forum has become....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Add Post
Forum Moderator

2/19/2012 3:16:20 PM
At 2/19/2012 3:13:24 PM, nonentity wrote:
I think the debate between jim and ike should be locked also... (at least, until issues are resolved)

Sorry, I'm wearing my Super Mod ID at the moment.

What debate? What I did was initiate it in a PM between the two.

Currently we are discussing violations of their agreement, and what the consequences would be.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:18:14 PM
At 2/19/2012 3:16:20 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
I think the debate between jim and ike should be locked also... (at least, until issues are resolved)

Currently we are discussing violations of their agreement, and what the consequences would be.

The race and intelligence debate that sparked most of these threads. Jim and his friends have been blatantly vote bombing...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:18:54 PM

Why would you want to "lock" a debate? You mean prevent people from voting on it? I just voted on it a couple of hours ago and I am sure there are plenty of people who want to vote.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

2/19/2012 3:19:16 PM
At 2/19/2012 3:18:14 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/19/2012 3:16:20 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:

The race and intelligence debate that sparked most of these threads. Jim and his friends have been blatantly vote bombing...

I can't lock it, but i can remove it or edit it.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:21:26 PM

why? It has 9 days left and I don't think the discussion between Royal and Jimtimmy is going to change any of the questionable voting the occurred on that debate. At the very least, we should give any honest voter out there the opportunity to share their opinion of the debate before it shuts down and the winner is declared.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:22:19 PM
At 2/19/2012 3:21:26 PM, 000ike wrote:

why? It has 9 days left and I don't think the discussion between Royal and Jimtimmy is going to change any of the questionable voting the occurred on that debate. At the very least, we should give any honest voter out there the opportunity to share their opinion of the debate before it shuts down and the winner is declared.

I guess that makes sense.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

2/19/2012 3:24:58 PM
At 2/19/2012 3:22:19 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/19/2012 3:21:26 PM, 000ike wrote:

I guess that makes sense.

I'm not comfortable with removing it either. If it makes someone uncomfortable then that's the price of DDO sometimes. There have been a lot of debates and forum discussions that were personally offensive to me (not to mention countless PM's), but they never had the power to bother me.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 3:35:21 PM
I don't see the point in removing or editing the debate, in fact I think it should remain as is so that they can have a place to bicker all they want, and only those who want to see it will. The problem is that everyone wants to bicker here in the forums where they can have everybody's attention. If there was real productive discussion being brought to the table then there would be nothing wrong with them, but that is not the case. It's just a bunch of childish nonsense.

If the threads can be removed I think that would be the best solution. It will help discourage other members from using the forums as their own personal stage to attack whomever they dislike.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

2/19/2012 3:39:39 PM
At 2/19/2012 3:35:21 PM, Double_R wrote:
I don't see the point in removing or editing the debate, in fact I think it should remain as is so that they can have a place to bicker all they want, and only those who want to see it will. The problem is that everyone wants to bicker here in the forums where they can have everybody's attention. If there was real productive discussion being brought to the table then there would be nothing wrong with them, but that is not the case. It's just a bunch of childish nonsense.

I am working on that, and I agree with you. There has been a general degradation of the site as a result of silly name calling and childish resentments. Frankly I'm as tired of it as anyone.

If the threads can be removed I think that would be the best solution. It will help discourage other members from using the forums as their own personal stage to attack whomever they dislike.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

2/19/2012 5:06:03 PM
Well just send me a PM if you want something removed.

I'm done for the night.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 8:09:32 PM
I have no objection to cleaning up the forum. it's a good idea. It's fair to delete posts with personal insults or other violations of the terms of service.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 10:09:03 PM
I don't really see the point in cleaning up or shutting down any particular threads unless they break the Terms of Service. If certain members want to discuss certain issues that may seem boring or repetitive to others, then that is their perogative to discuss it and make as many threads as they want regarding it. I do respect the Terms of Service of DDO though and if you feel that any members is insulting other members or violating the TOS in any way, I would certainly support cleaning up those threads. However, removing threads just to improve the visual appeal of the front page is unfair to the members who actually want to discuss their issues.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 10:19:22 PM
Why not just remove them?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-