Jump to topic:

What is a "votebomb"?

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 4:12:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
With the recent debates going around, I fee that we seriously need a set policy as to what constitutes a vote bomb. Here is what I include:

1) Voting all 7 points to one side without a justifiable reason.
2) Voting based upon bias.
3) Any vote that does not include a vote on best arguments.
4) Any vote that does not have a sufficient RFD.

I hereby petition that we make an official policy on what constitutes a votebomb. Likewise, I hereby petition that we require RFD on all debates.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 5:14:57 PM
There is fundamental disagreement on how the term "votebomb" should be defined. I don't think it is realistic to bring the community to a consensus on the issue.

A votebomb is basically an unjustified vote. But when you try to get specific, like say "7 points to one member without justification" then all you do is create loopholes for someone to get around. When you try to include every specific criteria that can be reasonably applied in the definition, you pretty much find yourself describing every vote on DDO. And if you leave the definition as "an unjustified vote" then it is left so vague it becomes meaningless.

I think people need to understand that personal opinion is inevitable when voting on a debate. We can not claim someone is votebombing because their RFD wasn't long enough, and the members here have gotten way to carried away with countering everything they perceive as a votebomb. If people would just read the debates and give their honest votes, the votebombs will get drowned out naturally. But instead we focus on countering, and countering someone else's counter, and countering someone else's counters counter, that it turns out to be the real thought out and reasonably objective votes that get drowned out.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2012 8:01:19 PM
The Urban dictionary has a pretty good definition:

vote bomb

v. the democratic hijacking of an open vote by a partisan group who have little interest in the issue at hand, other than publicizing their own cause.
"Nation because you vote bombed their web site, the Saginaw Spirit minor league hockey team has named their mini mascot in my honor." -- Stephen Colbert

In the DDO context it is a vote on a debate based upon something other than than the arguments presented in the debate, such as the voter's strong feeling about one of the debaters or about the issue in general. It's usually, but not always, six or seven points for one side. An inadequate RFD does not make a vote a vote bomb, because the poor RFD might be the result of haste to meet a deadline or because the voter is poor at writing RFDs. However, a poor RFD is a reason to suspect a vote bomb.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 1:32:46 PM
I consider any poorly justified vote a votebomb. If someone just gives 3 points, with a one-line RFD that mentions nothing of arguments, I consider it a votebomb. So something like "Pro was more convincing overall and used better logic" is a votebomb.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 1:42:13 PM
1) Voting all 7 points to one side without a justifiable reason.
4) Any vote that has a very poorly written RFD.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 2:19:09 PM
At 2/19/2012 4:12:31 PM, Microsuck wrote:
With the recent debates going around, I fee that we seriously need a set policy as to what constitutes a vote bomb. Here is what I include:

1) Voting all 7 points to one side without a reason.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed to an extent.
Disagreed, it is subjective and awkward.

I hereby petition that we make an official policy on what constitutes a votebomb. Likewise, I hereby petition that we require RFD on all debates.

I will draft a policy up, I've suggested this multiple times myself, it is a good idea.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 3:42:47 PM
At 2/20/2012 2:19:09 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/19/2012 4:12:31 PM, Microsuck wrote:

1) Voting all 7 points to one side without a reason.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed to an extent.
Disagreed, it is subjective and awkward.

I will draft a policy up, I've suggested this multiple times myself, it is a good idea.

Doesn't the site already require an rfd for all debates?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2012 3:44:06 PM
At 2/20/2012 1:32:46 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I consider any poorly justified vote a votebomb. If someone just gives 3 points, with a one-line RFD that mentions nothing of arguments, I consider it a votebomb. So something like "Pro was more convincing overall and used better logic" is a votebomb.

I agree with this one.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227