Jump to topic:

PM'ing people to vote for you

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 7:31:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
And I don't just mean the occassional aquaintance/friend PM'ing another aquaintance/friend to review the debate. Rather, I mean the practice of PMing 20+ people (some users who have never even talked to) and telling them to read and vote on your debate.

Now I don't personally think much of this as it is sometimes lead me to reading some surprisingly good debates which I would not have otherwise, but from what I've been observing . . . this is generally annoying and sometimes causes people to go so far as to spite the people mass-PM'ing by voting down their debates.

My question is this: Is this practice good or bad? Feel more than free to publicly voice your opinions so that those who "mass PM" shall know whether or not to include you as being one of the individuals whom they PM . . . AND that the post made in this thread shall result in encouraging users to either continue or hault this practice. Nevertheless, one of the many issues on this site that ought to be discussed.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 7:36:50 PM
Sometimes, when one of my debates reaches the voting period, I PM all of my closest friends to read and vote, but only the ones I know. Never somebody that I don't know.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 7:47:00 PM
I've never done it, and nor would I.

I really don't like asking favors of people; I like to do things on my own. That includes winning debates.

I've been messaged a few times, and I just delete them right away. Besides, I can't even vote. The stupid message wouldn't send to my phone.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2009 8:18:45 PM
At 6/18/2009 7:36:50 PM, mongeese wrote:
Sometimes, when one of my debates reaches the voting period, I PM all of my closest friends to read and vote, but only the ones I know. Never somebody that I don't know.

Sometimes? Hah!
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 12:28:18 AM
I pm some of the top debaters with specific questions. I am not concerned if the person votes on the debate. I hope this is not an annoying habit. I simply want to understand some of the general trends on the site. If people consider this annoying, I will not do it again.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 1:38:28 PM
Don't effing PM me to vote for you. Ever. I don't care who you are. I'm not going to do it, and I'll delete the annoying thread you started that sends me a bunch of string reply e-mails. I read debates at my leisure, and vote [fairly] when I see fit. The end.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 1:40:10 PM
To clarify, I vote fairly "when I see fit" meaning I vote fairly only after reading debates that have sparked my interest and/or caught my attention to the point where I actually read it all and don't vote simply based on my opinion of the resolution or whom the debaters competing are. In an instance where one debater forfeited 2+ rounds and still won; well, that's another story.
President of DDO
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 1:42:47 PM
Hmmm this happened just recently...
It is spam, and a terrible practice.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 1:46:05 PM
At 6/18/2009 7:31:03 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
And I don't just mean the occassional aquaintance/friend PM'ing another aquaintance/friend to review the debate. Rather, I mean the practice of PMing 20+ people (some users who have never even talked to) and telling them to read and vote on your debate.

Now I don't personally think much of this as it is sometimes lead me to reading some surprisingly good debates which I would not have otherwise, but from what I've been observing . . . this is generally annoying and sometimes causes people to go so far as to spite the people mass-PM'ing by voting down their debates.

My question is this: Is this practice good or bad? Feel more than free to publicly voice your opinions so that those who "mass PM" shall know whether or not to include you as being one of the individuals whom they PM . . . AND that the post made in this thread shall result in encouraging users to either continue or hault this practice. Nevertheless, one of the many issues on this site that ought to be discussed.

While I would never ask someone to vote for me via message, I have asked once before for people to review my debates after several days have gone by and almost no one has voted.

I almost feel like I'd need to do that again, sadly.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 2:08:39 PM
My message is entitled, "Vote!!!" I just want votes from my friends, because I know that they have good judgment, especially wjmelements.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 2:34:44 PM
At 6/20/2009 2:08:39 PM, mongeese wrote:
My message is entitled, "Vote!!!" I just want votes from my friends, because I know that they have good judgment, especially wjmelements.

That's essentially between me, you, and the lesser twin. I don't see mongoose ever post RFDs. We should get him in that habit.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 3:29:07 PM
At 6/20/2009 2:34:44 PM, wjmelements wrote:
the lesser twin.

=(
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2009 3:49:37 PM
This practice needn't be anything more than it actually is, which is a friendly request from someone who you mutually added as a friend to your account to review a debate.

I'll continue to send those PMs to people who asked me to be their friends, and who I confirmed as friends. If they don't like it, then they can politely ask me not to do so anymore. I attempt to respect those requests.

I find it far more illegitimate to, without warning, vote against a debater for sending those messages. Not only does it not actually fix the problem (since the debater has no clue who voted for or against him/her for sure), but it is an unnecessarily childish response.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2009 7:31:25 PM
See, now I've just done it again, although with the usual proviso to catch it if you can, vote and post comments if able stuff. Of course, I invite such messages too, so spam on me if you feel the need.

I think I'm a fair and impartial debate reviewer.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.