Jump to topic:

What is the percentile?

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 4:50:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is the percentile on your profile and how do you improve it?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 4:53:02 PM
win debates. So many trolls in the percentile, after a fair few debates, you'll have won a couple and be in the top 20%.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 4:58:05 PM
At 2/21/2012 4:53:02 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
win debates. So many trolls in the percentile, after a fair few debates, you'll have won a couple and be in the top 20%.

it has less to do with winning the debates, as it does with having debates. I have an atrocious winning record but am still in the 96th percentile or so. It's a meaningless number that needs to be fixed, don't worry about it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2012 5:00:08 PM
Yeah what ike said, it's a horrifyingly poor way to measure debate prowess.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 3:39:44 PM
The debates are ordered by the number of wins. Your percentage is the percentage of members having fewer wins. Since many members have never debate and hence have no wins, just a single win will cause your percentage to skyrocket.

A record of 20-107 will give you a higher percentage than 19-0, because 20 wins in more than 19.

Actually, DDO management says that the ranking is by number of points scored rather than number of wins. If you look at the members having very debates, you'll see that the order is not strictly by the number of wins. After some small number of debates, the statistics catch up and it tracks the number of wins reliably.

There is another ranking method called Elo. That's the method used in chess and tennis. It takes into account the number of wins and the records of your opponent. From time to time Oro_Ele computes the DDO Elo scores and posts them in the debate.org forum. a number of us would like to see an Elo column added to the leader board.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 9:43:41 PM
At 2/22/2012 7:19:26 PM, Zealous1 wrote:
I think the system is really messed up.

It is not. If the percentile was the only measurement of statistics maybe but its coupled with win/loss ratio, number of debates and number of ties. They all go together to give you a complete portfolio.

And frankly a person who has participated in 30 debates and wins 50% should be higher than someone who did 8 debates and won 90% of them. The person who did more should be ranked higher.

The system is just fine.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:32:23 PM
I dont trust any system that ranks me #17 on the whole site....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:53:25 PM
At 2/22/2012 10:32:23 PM, imabench wrote:

You've done a ton of debates and have a 80% win ratio...

Only 16 people have preformed better. Don't be ashamed, be proud.

No one has any pride anymore.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:59:36 PM
At 2/22/2012 10:32:23 PM, imabench wrote:

> Joined 4 Months Ago
> 128 debates

How did you even...
'sup DDO -- july 2013
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:56:29 PM
At 2/22/2012 9:43:41 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 2/22/2012 7:19:26 PM, Zealous1 wrote:
I think the system is really messed up.

It is not. If the percentile was the only measurement of statistics maybe but its coupled with win/loss ratio, number of debates and number of ties. They all go together to give you a complete portfolio.

And frankly a person who has participated in 30 debates and wins 50% should be higher than someone who did 8 debates and won 90% of them. The person who did more should be ranked higher.

The system is just fine.

No, it's fairly easy for an average debater to get a lot of wins by picking debates with with poor or inexperienced debaters. It's called noob sniping. It's not a terrible thing because new debaters need to have debates to build experience, and that couldn't happen if everyone refused to debate them. But having a great record in your local tennis club doesn't mean you are a better player than the losers at Wimbledon.

Ranking by participation encourages participation and the internet values traffic above all else. It makes sense for the site owners to encourage traffic, but it doesn't match very accurately with overall ability. Elo does that much better.

I think adding a leaderboard column for Elo rank would help.