Jump to topic:

LM classic (debate.org tournament)

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 10:25:09 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Greetings everyone. I've decided that I shall be throwing a debate.org tournament here. Though before you automatically decide to say things like "We already have a tournament" or anything else along those lines, let me tell you the conditions.

1) The winner shall receive $100 via paypal.
2) It shall purely be an Ultimate Team war tournament (this debate is an example of one: http://www.debate.org... )
3) The judge who is voted by the tournament participants as the best and most dedicated shall receive $50 via paypal (this is to insure that judging doesn't go sour, like previous tournaments)
4) The tournament shall entirely be single elimination (although you are allowed to have a substitute to debate for you when you are not available to debate. Granted, this substitute receives half of your winnings and cannot join the tournament on his/her own)
5) Each participant must choose their team in advance and must stick to arguing in favor of that team during the entire tournament. Now since I shall be participating, I shall either list my team publicly so that me knowing what everyone else chooses for their team via PM won't be to my advantage OR I can hopefully get someone else (who isn't necessarily participating---maybe a judge) to file all of the submissions for the teams.
6) In terms of choosing teams, it is first come first served.
7) Standard Ultimate Team War rules apply, although the following characters and characters who possess certain traits are banned:

Since I'm not allowing team registrations yet, I'll probably add some more rules as well as more banned characters. In the mean time.

-Dr. Strange
-Dr. Fate
-Parallax
-Silver Surfer
-Faust
-Any character who is regarded as a god (Dr. Manhattan, the Living Tribunal, Thanos with the infinity gauntlet, Adam Warlocke, Galactus, etc).
-Any character from Dragon Ball Z (or GT) or Yu Yu Hakusho
-SuperMan Prime or Super Boy Prime
-Any character from the 5th dimension (Batmite is a good example)
-The Speedforce cannot be used.
-The Ultimate Nullifier ray is not allowed.
-Shinigami's from Death Note are not allowed.

8) All battles shall take place in an indestructable version of New York City. Leaving the fighting area constitutes as defeat.
9) Prep time is only allowed if both debaters agree at the start. In case it is agreed upon, both teams shall get 1 day of preparation time.
10) Each debater must at least have two street level characters on their team (in other words, people like Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil, the punisher, wolverine, Venom, Nightwing,Kenshin Himurha, Gambit, Vash the Stampede, Snake from Metal Gear solid, Master Chief, Link etc) Basically, people who spend their time dealing with local adversaries AND/OR are essentially on a human level. Lelouch Lamperouge is an example of someone who is human level. People like Superman are not street level.
11) The no limits fallacy is considered valid.
12) Being knocked out, rendered unusable, or killed is considered defeat. People who are knocked out, rendered unusable or killed cannot be used any more during a match.

Participants:

#1. Logical-Master
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
#9.
#11.
#12.
#13.
#14.
#15.
#16.

Judges

#1.
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.

Each judge shall be reading and judging two debates during the first round of this tournament. In addition, each round shall have two judges. A third judge shall be called in in case of a tie.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 11:03:49 AM
At 6/19/2009 10:49:52 AM, Nags wrote:
So... what do you get if you win? Just pride I assume.

2) It shall purely be an Ultimate Team war tournament (this debate is an example of one: http://www.debate.org...... )
3) The judge who is voted by the tournament participants as the best and most dedicated shall receive $50 via paypal (this is to insure that judging doesn't go sour, like previous tournaments)
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 11:05:37 AM
Oh yeah, and . . .

You can't win "best judge" and the prize for winning best judge unless you've actually judged every debate you've been assigned to. ;)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 11:30:30 AM
"The Speedforce cannot be used."

*Shakes fist at the sky in contempt*
I like your addition of mandatory street levelers. I'll get on it =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 1:40:10 PM
I'll join. It seems ironic now, though, that you're banning the very characters that you're using to try to defeat me. I've already got my two street characters planned.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 1:57:33 PM
Good idea, but I personally don't like the style so I won't be participating.

The only problem I see is the Paypal payment. Since a lot of the members here are little babies that have their moms watch over them every second of every minute they spend on the internet I could see the winner being unable to get a Paypal account.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 2:12:36 PM
At 6/19/2009 11:03:49 AM, Logical-Master wrote:

2) It shall purely be an Ultimate Team war tournament (this debate is an example of one: http://www.debate.org...... )

No... I meant... what do you (Logical-Master) get if you win?
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 2:24:18 PM
Who's putting up the $150?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:08:19 PM
At 6/19/2009 2:24:18 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

I suppose L-M.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:13:14 PM
Contestants:

#1. Logical-Master
#2. Mongeese
#3. Maikiru
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
#9.
#11.
#12.
#13.
#14.
#15.
#16.

Judges

#1. patsox834
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:15:23 PM
At 6/19/2009 2:12:36 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/19/2009 11:03:49 AM, Logical-Master wrote:

No... I meant... what do you (Logical-Master) get if you win?

Oh that? A good time from having won as well as merely $50 removed from my paypal account rather than $150.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:18:29 PM
At 6/19/2009 3:13:14 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Contestants:

#1. Logical-Master
#2. Mongeese
#3. Maikiru
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
#9.
#11.
#12.
#13.
#14.
#15.
#16.

Judges

#1. patsox834
#2. wjmelements
#3.
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:23:50 PM
At 6/19/2009 1:57:33 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Good idea, but I personally don't like the style so I won't be participating.

The only problem I see is the Paypal payment. Since a lot of the members here are little babies that have their moms watch over them every second of every minute they spend on the internet I could see the winner being unable to get a Paypal account.

What do you mean by "style?"
rougeagent21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:41:56 PM
I could sign up for judge. Good luck you guys :D
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country." -Gen. Patton
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:45:06 PM
At 6/19/2009 3:23:58 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 6/19/2009 2:24:18 PM, leet4A1 wrote:

Me. :D

Ah, I just assumed all the people participating in the debate were putting the money up; I would've just signed up as a contestant had I known I wouldn't have to put any money in.

It's not that I'm crazily cheap...I just literally have no money. Well, maybe a nickel here and there, but that about covers it.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:49:10 PM
You can still join if you want. In fact, you can be both a judge and a debater too. It's just that due to the rules put in place, there's no way for you to win both competitions (the judge competition and the debate competition).
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:49:48 PM
Contestants:

#1. Logical-Master
#2. Mongeese
#3. Maikiru
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
#9.
#11.
#12.
#13.
#14.
#15.
#16.

Judges

#1. patsox834
#2. wjmelements
#3. rougeagent21
#4.
#5.
#6.
#7.
#8.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 3:53:53 PM
At 6/19/2009 3:49:10 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
You can still join if you want. In fact, you can be both a judge and a debater too. It's just that due to the rules put in place, there's no way for you to win both competitions (the judge competition and the debate competition).

Meh, even if I can't win them both, I'll give them a shot for a larf. The chances of me winning both aren't in my favor, anyway.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 4:17:38 PM
"Additional Rule: NO time travel."
Good freakin' rule. In my debate with Maikuru, I had to completely adjust my strategy because of the time travel thing.

I would like to sign up. I could also judge.

I like the NYC rule. It narrows the field significantly.
Clockwork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 4:36:08 PM
I'm probably signing up. Question: When the judges judge, do they decide based of the traditional four rating system or they simply decide who's team fought better?
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 4:49:11 PM
At 6/19/2009 4:36:08 PM, Clockwork wrote:
I'm probably signing up. Question: When the judges judge, do they decide based of the traditional four rating system or they simply decide who's team fought better?

Conduct: In addition to normal conduct, whoever follows the rules most effectively gets the vote.
S&G: Vote as usual.
Arguments: Give the vote to whoever proves most effectively that their team would win.
Sources: Since sources don't really matter, give the vote to whoever proves most effectively that their team would win.

@judging and playing: I know that I can't win the judging money, and that's fine with me. I'm really not playing for the money (although it would be fun to win that hundred dollars).
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 4:49:29 PM
I'll join.
Are you allowed to teleport your foes out of New York City?
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 4:52:29 PM
At 6/19/2009 4:49:29 PM, mongoose wrote:
Are you allowed to teleport your foes out of New York City?

I wouldn't think so.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2009 5:24:16 PM
Since MTGrandP has already sent in his team (although I would have rather he had waited), I'm going to PM my official team to him (since he is also judging) just to settle the matter I had mentioned earlier (regarding me having an unfair advantage or anything of the sort.).