Jump to topic:

Ideas for Special Debates

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 11:52:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Debates in which people are not allowed to use sources. All information must be first-hand. Judged as normal. Example: Pro/Con Abortion, all statements must either be common knowledge, easily derived, or the result of first person research.

2. Debates in which people argue as other people. Judged based on how closely a person mimics their assigned character in terms of philosophy, style, and beliefs. Example: Professor X vs Magneto, The role of Mutants in human society.

3. Debates in which a key component of reality is altered. Example: Pro/Con Abortion, if Humans no longer died.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 11:53:33 PM
At 2/23/2012 11:52:26 PM, Kleptin wrote:
1. Debates in which people are not allowed to use sources. All information must be first-hand. Judged as normal. Example: Pro/Con Abortion, all statements must either be common knowledge, easily derived, or the result of first person research.

2. Debates in which people argue as other people. Judged based on how closely a person mimics their assigned character in terms of philosophy, style, and beliefs. Example: Professor X vs Magneto, The role of Mutants in human society.

3. Debates in which a key component of reality is altered. Example: Pro/Con Abortion, if Humans no longer died.

Second and third interest me the most. The concept of the second more than the pairing, since I don't know too much about X-Men.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 11:55:32 PM
I love these ideas and I demand more immediately. Having no creativity personally, I will not be contributing but rather judging from the sidelines.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 12:23:25 AM
At 2/23/2012 11:52:26 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I like this one.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 1:34:40 AM
2 syllable limit per word.

As someone who likes to use multisyllabic words extraneously, this would be a challenge.
Debate.org Moderator
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 1:50:22 AM
At 2/24/2012 1:42:23 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Debate without using the word "the".

Debates without using polysyllable words sounds like a laugh to me.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 5:49:55 PM

I, personally, really like this one.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 7:09:55 PM
At 2/24/2012 5:49:55 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

I, personally, really like this one.

They already have these.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 8:53:40 PM
I really like the syllable limit requirement one XD
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 10:16:21 AM
I dunno, seems like way too much free time ...

A debate in which all arguments use words having "e" as the only vowel. There is a novel written using only "e."

International Talk Like a Pirate Day is coming up in September. The basic rules are given on the Talk Like a Pirate website. Use Arrr ... not Arrgh ... Half the debate points for substance and half for the quality of pirate talk.

A debate using only false or fanciful references, such as articles in The Onion.

A debate with all arguments in rhymed couplets.

A twitter debate: five rounds of 140 characters.

In celebration of the elections, a debate using as many trite and hackneyed phrases as possible.