Jump to topic:

Major Announcement

jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:51:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello, I am jimtimmy. I have been a member of DDO for over 7 months now. Long enough to make a mark on the DDO community and understand how DDO works but not so long that I have lost touch with the rest of the world.

As you all know, I have made plenty of friends during my time here at DDO. And, of course, I have made some enemies too. After all, that's what happens when you stand up for your beliefs and fight for an agenda that makes DDO a better place.

So, without further adieu, I am announcing that I will be a candidate in the 2012 mid year DDO presidential election. I, of course, cannot run alone.

When looking for a running mate, I was hoping to find someone who was intelligent, principled, likeable, and had the same appetite for reform that motivated me to run for president. Luckily, I found someone that satisfied all of those credentials in 16kadams, and I could not be more happy and proud to be running with someone like 16kadams.

Now, I understand that some presidential campaigns will simply be running as an extension of Innomen's policies. I don't see anything wrong with Innomen. He is a good, intelligent man who has been a solid leader of DDO.

However, we will not be running as simply a third term for Innomen. We will offer a platform of reform and change. After all, 16kadams and I have a lifetime of fighting against the DDO establishment and for the average member of DDO.

The DDO that we envision would have a more relaxed banning policy. I will revive the jimtimmy doctrine on banning if president that I ran on last election. This doctrine states that "No member of DDO should be banned in any case, unless they are a blatant and obvious troll or disturbance for the sole purpose of causing harm to this site." What this means is that no member of DDO should ever be banned unless they are such an obvious troll, that there would be virtually no disagreement that they should be banned.

This banning policy is somewhat of a departure from the current banning policy in that my banning policy would involve far less banning. No longer would the average member of DDO be at risk of being banned for simply voicing their opinions, even if they come on too strong at times.

Another change we would bring is to remove the language filter. Even though we are not all technically adults here, we are all mature enough to handle strong language. I think it is fair to say that this is a fairly common sense change.

We would also fight to bring a name changer to DDO. The reason for this is that DDO members currently must go through numerous hurdles to change their name. We think that DDO members should be able to change their names more easily.

16kadams and I would also fight to add a history topic to the forums. We think that this would be a positive and popular edition to the forums, as it would allow members to discuss historical issues on an independant forum.

We will fight hard for Big Issues reform. It is not right that our opinion on George W. Bush is still a question when president Barack Obama is running for reelection. I understand Innomen is already fighting for this, but we will put a major emphasis on getting this done.

Finally, we will end the cellphone verification requirement to get full membership rights on DDO. We believe that this requirement unnecessarily punishes lower income DDO members who may not have a cellphone, repels members who want to maintain their privacy, and adds an unnecessary complexity to DDO.

We believe that these changes will make DDO a significantly better place. It may be naive, but 16kadams and I still believe that DDO is a special place where informed people can come to debate their opinions freely.

We will fight to restore and protect those virtues. Please consider voting for positive change. Please consider voting for jimtimmy and 16kadams for president and vice president.
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:52:57 PM
The election is in June. How many threads have you made over the months dedicated ENTIRELY to yourself?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:53:13 PM
JT......I love you man(in a clean way) but.....you guys sand no chance.

At all.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:54:18 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:53:13 PM, OberHerr wrote:

At all.

Hey, we have three months to change that.

I think we might surprise some people. I hope you at least have an open mind to supporting us.
President of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:54:22 PM
Now, this platform is appealing to me, so I have two questions.

1. You just said that the cell phone verification punishes lower-income members. When I made that same claim in the last election, you called me an idiot. What caused your feelings to change on the issue?

2. Will ike, nonentity, and I be instantly banned if you are elected?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:56:08 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:54:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

1. You just said that the cell phone verification punishes lower-income members. When I made that same claim in the last election, you called me an idiot. What caused your feelings to change on the issue?

I agreed that the verification hurts lower income members. However, I disagreed that all forms of discrimination against low income people should be illegal.

Of course not. I am commited to the free exchange of ideas. That includes ideas that I disagree with.

I know we haven't always been the best of friends, but I do hope you will at least consider us.
President of DDO
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:56:33 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:54:18 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

At all.

I think we might surprise some people. I hope you at least have an open mind to supporting us.

I will, and I will support you guys FOR NOW, but, I still think you stand no chance.

Maybe, if you make it clear that you will act as president, not on your feelings, but on actually being just, then you can get support.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:56:57 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:54:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I do not remember this. But well ok. It also punishes kids my age with helicopter parents.

No we have no problems with you, just mere disagreement.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:57:47 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:56:33 PM, OberHerr wrote:

At all.

I will, and I will support you guys FOR NOW, but, I still think you stand no chance.

Maybe, if you make it clear that you will act as president, not on your feelings, but on actually being just, then you can get support.

Thank you for your support, even if it just for now, lol.

I plan on making the case that I will not act on my emotions but as a pragmatic leader over the next few months.
President of DDO
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:58:20 PM
I welcome you into the pool of candidates Jimmy.

Like Jimmy I will attempt to remove cell phone verification, however, will not guarantee something that may not happen.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:58:39 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:56:33 PM, OberHerr wrote:

At all.

Ron Paul has little chance, yet polls in the high teens, and sometimes 20%.

What feelings would we act upon? I have nothing against members of this site for the most part.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:59:24 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:58:20 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Like Jimmy I will attempt to remove cell phone verification, however, will not guarantee something that may not happen.

It will be a top priority.

Good luck though. I look forward to a long and competitive campaign.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 3:59:26 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:58:20 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Who is your running mate?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:02:59 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:52:57 PM, 000ike wrote:
The election is in June. How many threads have you made over the months dedicated ENTIRELY to yourself?

Early bird catches the worm chap! :)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:05:45 PM
I will make an announcement that relates to this announcement.

The amount of influence and gravity that I will pass on to the next president will directly correlate to the amount of endorsement that I give to that individual.

I have said it before. I've brought some actual weight to the position, and all it will take is one person without the necessary qualities, to revert the position to nothingness.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:05:49 PM
At 2/25/2012 3:51:16 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
bla bla bla praise innomen bla bla

Now to the policies.

The DDO that we envision would have a more relaxed banning policy. I will revive the jimtimmy doctrine on banning if president that I ran on last election. This doctrine states that "No member of DDO should be banned in any case, unless they are a blatant and obvious troll or disturbance for the sole purpose of causing harm to this site." What this means is that no member of DDO should ever be banned unless they are such an obvious troll, that there would be virtually no disagreement that they should be banned.

I personally feel that the idea that people should be banned should be increased rather than decreasd. The amount of public banning was for one person, and extremely overdue. The lowering of the banning policy is one that I would personally dislike.

This banning policy is somewhat of a departure from the current banning policy in that my banning policy would involve far less banning. No longer would the average member of DDO be at risk of being banned for simply voicing their opinions, even if they come on too strong at times.

I'd argue that people are barely ever at risk for banning, regardless of their behaviour. The time it took for izbo to get banned for one, and the other would be inferno.

Another change we would bring is to remove the language filter. Even though we are not all technically adults here, we are all mature enough to handle strong language. I think it is fair to say that this is a fairly common sense change.

I agree with the argument, but I think that the banning of swearing stops people from repeatedly swearing, and swearing gratuitously. Lack of swearing promotes intelligent discussion.

We would also fight to bring a name changer to DDO. The reason for this is that DDO members currently must go through numerous hurdles to change their name. We think that DDO members should be able to change their names more easily.

Agreed with this, but more apathetic and would be something I care little about.

16kadams and I would also fight to add a history topic to the forums. We think that this would be a positive and popular edition to the forums, as it would allow members to discuss historical issues in a DDO forum.

Agreed with, sounds like a good idea.

We will fight hard for Big Issues reform. It is not right that our opinion on George W. Bush is still a question when president Barack Obama is running for reelection. I understand Innomen is already fighting for this, but we will put a major emphasis on getting this done.

Agreed, but all will be campaigning for this idea. More or less required.

Finally, we will end the cellphone verification requirement to get full membership rights on DDO. We believe that this requirement unnecessarily punishes lower income DDO members who may not have a cellphone, repels members who want to maintain their privacy, and adds an unnecessary complexity to DDO.

No comment. RP covered this.

bla bla bla bla

Overall verdict: Not impressed. There are a couple good ideas there, but nothing to make someone a president. Form a pressure group? Yes. Form a government? In the words of the infamous inferno:

Next!
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:12:15 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:05:49 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Now to the policies.

I personally feel that the idea that people should be banned should be increased rather than decreasd. The amount of public banning was for one person, and extremely overdue. The lowering of the banning policy is one that I would personally dislike.

This is an area that we disagree on. I feel very strongly that the ideal DDO would be a place where it is nearly impossible to get banned. Of course, trolls who are detroying the site should still be banned but not members who just come off as mean or rude.

I'd argue that people are barely ever at risk for banning, regardless of their behaviour. The time it took for izbo to get banned for one, and the other would be inferno.

What bothers me is the constant threat of banning. I don't think any member should be legitamitley scared of being banned unless they cheating or are a blatant troll.

I agree with the argument, but I think that the banning of swearing stops people from repeatedly swearing, and swearing gratuitously. Lack of swearing promotes intelligent discussion.

I would disagree here. I think intelligent individuals are best without any language filter.

Agreed with this, but more apathetic and would be something I care little about.

Fair enough. We think it is an important change though.

16kadams and I would also fight to add a history topic to the forums. We think that this would be a positive and popular edition to the forums, as it would allow members to discuss historical issues in a DDO forum.

Great.

True. We just wanted to clarify that we are committed to this too.

We find this to be a very major part of our platform.

bla bla bla bla

Overall verdict: Not impressed. There are a couple good ideas there, but nothing to make someone a president. Form a pressure group? Yes. Form a government? In the words of the infamous inferno:

Next!

I hope we can change your mind over the next few months. Thanks for the constructive criticism though.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:14:47 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:05:49 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Now to the policies.

Your way bans innocent people slightly out of line. 7 points RFD "." is troll status. Your way bans people with poor RFD's, which is problematic as those RFD's are based on who reads it, as I may scream VB ban him! In your terms.

Izbo was an obvious troll, as is inferno. They'd still be banned.

We can always edit the filter to allow certain words, but keep other ones still censored. We can still cuss with the classical: fvck or other variations.

It won't be a major priority, big issues for example will.

We agree too xD

He argued this last time, he was really the one who dough for it the most last cycle.

As did I...

bla bla bla bla

Next!

Odd, as in my opinion this platform is great and well people said next to Ron Paul, looked what happened.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:26:55 PM
How exactly are you going to implement your banning policy when innomen retains his mod ability & can ban whoever he wants, and you don't have that?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:27:43 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:26:55 PM, thett3 wrote:
How exactly are you going to implement your banning policy when innomen retains his mod ability & can ban whoever he wants, and you don't have that?

We plan on using the bully pulpit to push our policies. The president has the power of influence. And, I will push for DDO to move in this direction.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:28:01 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:26:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

We can talk to him. I am not sure if that's a priority issue in the campaign, but it's there.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:29:33 PM
I can't believe people are actually taking this thread seriously after everything that's been going on in the past 2 months.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:30:24 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:28:49 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
HOW ARE PEOPLE ALREADY CAMPAINGING FOR AN ELECTION THAT IS MONTHS AWAY! IT'S INSANITY, PEOPLE! IN-SANITY! nac.

Early bird catches the worm.
http://www.google.com...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:30:40 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:29:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
I can't believe people are actually taking this thread seriously after everything that's been going on in the past 2 months.

It's precisely those problems that I intend to fix as president.
President of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:30:49 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:28:49 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
HOW ARE PEOPLE ALREADY CAMPAINGING FOR AN ELECTION THAT IS MONTHS AWAY! IT'S INSANITY, PEOPLE! IN-SANITY! nac.

Also, This.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:31:44 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:30:40 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

By banning everyone who dissents?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:32:57 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:31:44 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Our policy is against this.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:33:27 PM

As you'll note, I actually have proposed a much more relaxed banning policy. That means people will not be banned except for obvious and extreme cases.
President of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:33:58 PM
At 2/25/2012 4:32:57 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Our policy is against this.

How do you plan on ending those problems when the two of you have been key players in the conflict?