Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

President's Question Time

Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:14:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was wondering, how popular would the idea of the president having to "chime in" stating what he has done for the community in the last month of being president? We have it in Britain for every week, and it keeps the PM on his feet, active, and linked with those who voted him in.
Write your name if you'd think it would be a good / bad idea.
PRO

CON
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:16:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 4:14:02 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I was wondering, how popular would the idea of the president having to "chime in" stating what he has done for the community in the last month of being president? We have it in Britain for every week, and it keeps the PM on his feet, active, and linked with those who voted him in.
Write your name if you'd think it would be a good / bad idea.
PRO


CON

Pro
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:17:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
PRO
Good idea.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:18:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pro
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:18:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Pro...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:23:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Depends. As mod much of what I do isn't and shouldn't be made public. Also, as mod there's a lot of work that's done, and adding more work isn't a good idea.

A state of the site thread occasionally is a good idea, and I have thought of doing that. However, when I begin, the material is pretty sparse or shallow. Anything of substance generally shouldn't be made public, also discussions with Juggle need to be kept somewhat private. If i were to publicly state my thoughts on some of the correspondence with Juggle, and they were to read it, I don't think it would be good for the relationship.

I'm always available for PM's and have responded pretty quickly to anyone who sends me one, so I doubt that the next president would be so different where that's concerned. If someone starts a Thread in this forum that pertains to me and what I do, I almost always respond, again, no reason the next pres couldn't do the same.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:38:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Good to see that I have at least some good ideas :D

If I were to add the PROs:

This is a declaration which requests the addition of a system which states that the president is required to state what he has attempted to do for the DDO community once a month.

However, we as users acknowledge that not all information is worthy of release, or would be better kept private. In acknowledgement of this, we request that a statement be released by the president which states any major events that have occurred in the previous month. In addition, the president allows a series of questions to be asked, and shall address all the questions asked in that day, and may optionally address any questions asked outside of this time period. The maximum number of questions mandatory required to answered shall also be resolved in later discussion.

The following users wish to affirm this resolution, and wish the resolution was enacted:

1 - Stephen_Hawkins
2 - tyler90az
3 - jimtimmy
4 - Zaradi
5 - 16kadams
6 - Microsuck
7 - Ober_Herr
8 - UnStupendousMan
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:43:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 4:23:42 PM, innomen wrote:
Depends. As mod much of what I do isn't and shouldn't be made public. Also, as mod there's a lot of work that's done, and adding more work isn't a good idea.

A state of the site thread occasionally is a good idea, and I have thought of doing that. However, when I begin, the material is pretty sparse or shallow. Anything of substance generally shouldn't be made public, also discussions with Juggle need to be kept somewhat private. If i were to publicly state my thoughts on some of the correspondence with Juggle, and they were to read it, I don't think it would be good for the relationship.

I'm always available for PM's and have responded pretty quickly to anyone who sends me one, so I doubt that the next president would be so different where that's concerned. If someone starts a Thread in this forum that pertains to me and what I do, I almost always respond, again, no reason the next pres couldn't do the same.

Ah. Didn't notice this. It would be nice to have some legislation in place, however, which makes the president more accountable. Also, PM Questions does not work in the way that you make all correspondence public: it is more of a summary of that which has gone on.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:48:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 4:43:00 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/25/2012 4:23:42 PM, innomen wrote:
Depends. As mod much of what I do isn't and shouldn't be made public. Also, as mod there's a lot of work that's done, and adding more work isn't a good idea.

A state of the site thread occasionally is a good idea, and I have thought of doing that. However, when I begin, the material is pretty sparse or shallow. Anything of substance generally shouldn't be made public, also discussions with Juggle need to be kept somewhat private. If i were to publicly state my thoughts on some of the correspondence with Juggle, and they were to read it, I don't think it would be good for the relationship.

I'm always available for PM's and have responded pretty quickly to anyone who sends me one, so I doubt that the next president would be so different where that's concerned. If someone starts a Thread in this forum that pertains to me and what I do, I almost always respond, again, no reason the next pres couldn't do the same.

Ah. Didn't notice this. It would be nice to have some legislation in place, however, which makes the president more accountable. Also, PM Questions does not work in the way that you make all correspondence public: it is more of a summary of that which has gone on.

I would resign if you required all correspondence of the president made public.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:54:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the important thing to consider is that the president/mod may know details about members that are rather kept private. For instance, if one member has concerns about another member, about juggle or about the site, they might discuss it with the president assuming that he will maintain confidentiality. Demanding a release of all information breaks that confidentiality and is hardly helpful when made public.
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 4:56:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 4:48:40 PM, innomen wrote:
At 2/25/2012 4:43:00 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/25/2012 4:23:42 PM, innomen wrote:
Depends. As mod much of what I do isn't and shouldn't be made public. Also, as mod there's a lot of work that's done, and adding more work isn't a good idea.

A state of the site thread occasionally is a good idea, and I have thought of doing that. However, when I begin, the material is pretty sparse or shallow. Anything of substance generally shouldn't be made public, also discussions with Juggle need to be kept somewhat private. If i were to publicly state my thoughts on some of the correspondence with Juggle, and they were to read it, I don't think it would be good for the relationship.

I'm always available for PM's and have responded pretty quickly to anyone who sends me one, so I doubt that the next president would be so different where that's concerned. If someone starts a Thread in this forum that pertains to me and what I do, I almost always respond, again, no reason the next pres couldn't do the same.

Ah. Didn't notice this. It would be nice to have some legislation in place, however, which makes the president more accountable. Also, PM Questions does not work in the way that you make all correspondence public: it is more of a summary of that which has gone on.

I would resign if you required all correspondence of the president made public.

All private correspondence shouldn't be made public but there should be some sort of way to measure what has been done. So in answer to the original question, pro.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 5:11:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Con, unless a list of banned accounts qualifies as making this site better
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 5:15:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 4:48:40 PM, innomen wrote:
At 2/25/2012 4:43:00 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/25/2012 4:23:42 PM, innomen wrote:
Depends. As mod much of what I do isn't and shouldn't be made public. Also, as mod there's a lot of work that's done, and adding more work isn't a good idea.

A state of the site thread occasionally is a good idea, and I have thought of doing that. However, when I begin, the material is pretty sparse or shallow. Anything of substance generally shouldn't be made public, also discussions with Juggle need to be kept somewhat private. If i were to publicly state my thoughts on some of the correspondence with Juggle, and they were to read it, I don't think it would be good for the relationship.

I'm always available for PM's and have responded pretty quickly to anyone who sends me one, so I doubt that the next president would be so different where that's concerned. If someone starts a Thread in this forum that pertains to me and what I do, I almost always respond, again, no reason the next pres couldn't do the same.

Ah. Didn't notice this. It would be nice to have some legislation in place, however, which makes the president more accountable. Also, PM Questions does not work in the way that you make all correspondence public: it is more of a summary of that which has gone on.

I would resign if you required all correspondence of the president made public.

It does not...make all correspondences public. It's a summary of what has happened. In other words, if you've discussed an issue with Juggle about, say, updating the big issues again, then you could simply say you've done this.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 12:38:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 4:14:02 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I was wondering, how popular would the idea of the president having to "chime in" stating what he has done for the community in the last month of being president? We have it in Britain for every week, and it keeps the PM on his feet, active, and linked with those who voted him in.
Write your name if you'd think it would be a good / bad idea.
PRO


CON
RoyLatham

Innomen spends an enormous amount of time acting as forum moderator. Asking for more of the president's time is an unreasonable burden. with elcetion so frequent, a review before the election is adequate.

Besides, the answer to every question on site improvements is "Juggle won't consider it now." The site doesn't generate any revenue, so just keeping it operating is a miracle.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 2:30:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What exactly does the president do? Do they all get mod powers, or is innomen a unique case?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 2:51:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/27/2012 2:30:57 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
What exactly does the president do? Do they all get mod powers, or is innomen a unique case?

Innomen gets moderator privelages, but I am not sure if they will be passed on next election.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 2:59:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/27/2012 12:38:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Innomen spends an enormous amount of time acting as forum moderator. Asking for more of the president's time is an unreasonable burden. with elcetion so frequent, a review before the election is adequate.

Besides, the answer to every question on site improvements is "Juggle won't consider it now." The site doesn't generate any revenue, so just keeping it operating is a miracle.

I understand this point, and it is almost definitely true. However, there are two things: Firstly, knowing what innomen, or the president at the time, is doing will help the community by promoting the idea that the president is doing something. Secondly, the knowledge of what Juggle is saying in response would help. If they are constantly saying "we can't do this right now" then at least we know that they are doing this repeatedly. Maybe there are specific problems that we can learn about. Or, maybe there is some reason that Juggle is not being so helpful.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 4:03:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The president would like you to think that he is doing lots of work, important stuff.

Figurehead position. There can't be much to it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 4:16:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/27/2012 2:59:01 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/27/2012 12:38:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Innomen spends an enormous amount of time acting as forum moderator. Asking for more of the president's time is an unreasonable burden. with elcetion so frequent, a review before the election is adequate.

Besides, the answer to every question on site improvements is "Juggle won't consider it now." The site doesn't generate any revenue, so just keeping it operating is a miracle.

I understand this point, and it is almost definitely true. However, there are two things: Firstly, knowing what innomen, or the president at the time, is doing will help the community by promoting the idea that the president is doing something. Secondly, the knowledge of what Juggle is saying in response would help. If they are constantly saying "we can't do this right now" then at least we know that they are doing this repeatedly. Maybe there are specific problems that we can learn about. Or, maybe there is some reason that Juggle is not being so helpful.

Much of what i do is done at a personal level with different members, and that's none of the site's business. On the other hand there are things that are discussed in my inner circle thread, and if you'd like a member of that to report some of the goings on, that would be be fine.

@Cosmic, if you were president it would be undoubtedly true all that you say about the position. However, as both president and mod, there is a significant amount of work to do, not hours a day, but enough that requires daily maintenance and look through. It certainly isn't a requirement and we can easily go back to what the president has done in the past, which was nothing.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 4:27:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As vice-president and member of the inner circle, I can tell you most of our time is spent investigating multi-accounters and removing spam (vicariously of course).

Our initiatives are very, very slow moving. It would be a miracle for us to be able to implement even the smallest change over one presidential term simply because Juggle simply can't invest the massive amount of time (and therefore money) into having someone modify and/or write the code needed for such changes. Heck, we're lucky to even get regular correspondence.

We've had an epidemic of spammers in the entertainment section of late. How many of you didn't even notice? How many of you noticed and can attest to how quickly said spam was removed?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 5:06:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/27/2012 4:27:27 PM, tvellalott wrote:
As vice-president and member of the inner circle, I can tell you most of our time is spent investigating multi-accounters and removing spam (vicariously of course).

Our initiatives are very, very slow moving. It would be a miracle for us to be able to implement even the smallest change over one presidential term simply because Juggle simply can't invest the massive amount of time (and therefore money) into having someone modify and/or write the code needed for such changes. Heck, we're lucky to even get regular correspondence.

We've had an epidemic of spammers in the entertainment section of late. How many of you didn't even notice? How many of you noticed and can attest to how quickly said spam was removed?

This is a great thing, and this is the kind of thing that would be great to know of.

And @innomen, if you would invite me into private correspondence, I would be grateful and willing to report on what moderation has gone on to an extent.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2012 6:52:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That's all mod work, man. Presidency has nothing to do with it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:46:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/27/2012 6:52:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That's all mod work, man. Presidency has nothing to do with it.

I think 'head mod' and president has been combined now... I'm wondering how good an idea that is though...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 4:53:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/28/2012 1:46:34 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/27/2012 6:52:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That's all mod work, man. Presidency has nothing to do with it.

I think 'head mod' and president has been combined now... I'm wondering how good an idea that is though...

innomen will be the moderator regardless of whether he is president. He has the closest relationship with Juggle of any member and it is his hard work that allows us to even have a user moderator, because we obviously need it. Without him, we'd have to rely on Juggle to have spam removed immediately, which we know is unrealistic.

I challenge anyone to question this assertion; having innomen as moderator makes DDO a better community. This especially goes out to detractors like jimtimmy and 16kadams who would paint him as a ban-happy elitist.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 5:11:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/28/2012 4:53:42 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/28/2012 1:46:34 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/27/2012 6:52:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That's all mod work, man. Presidency has nothing to do with it.

I think 'head mod' and president has been combined now... I'm wondering how good an idea that is though...

innomen will be the moderator regardless of whether he is president. He has the closest relationship with Juggle of any member and it is his hard work that allows us to even have a user moderator, because we obviously need it. Without him, we'd have to rely on Juggle to have spam removed immediately, which we know is unrealistic.

I challenge anyone to question this assertion; having innomen as moderator makes DDO a better community. This especially goes out to detractors like jimtimmy and 16kadams who would paint him as a ban-happy elitist.

Completely agreed and accept this point. However, to what degree will the next president have contact with juggle and judicial powers?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 5:27:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/28/2012 5:11:06 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/28/2012 4:53:42 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/28/2012 1:46:34 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/27/2012 6:52:42 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
That's all mod work, man. Presidency has nothing to do with it.

I think 'head mod' and president has been combined now... I'm wondering how good an idea that is though...

innomen will be the moderator regardless of whether he is president. He has the closest relationship with Juggle of any member and it is his hard work that allows us to even have a user moderator, because we obviously need it. Without him, we'd have to rely on Juggle to have spam removed immediately, which we know is unrealistic.

I challenge anyone to question this assertion; having innomen as moderator makes DDO a better community. This especially goes out to detractors like jimtimmy and 16kadams who would paint him as a ban-happy elitist.

Completely agreed and accept this point. However, to what degree will the next president have contact with juggle and judicial powers?

Whatever relationship they can establish I suppose; it was innomen's reputation and initiative that built the relationship he has and I imagine the next person will have to be both reputable and hard-working if they hope to gain Juggles trust.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...