Jump to topic:

First round of MIG's Tourney

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:37:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The tourney operates as a single-elimination tournament. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to manage the more fair debate-tournament but would like to hope for the best that voters will try their best with each other.

A number of changes to the debate structure:
Subjects with two mini subjects will provided (6 subjects with 2 options for debaters to choose.):

History.

*This is separate from what I have designated as a historical method debate in which different perspectives on the nature of analyzing history are explored. Debates may focus on one perspective of history, either proposed by some figure/historian, or a common perceptive (ex. the dynastic cycle and so forth), as well as specific approaches as well (i.e. defending Marxist approach to history).

History as in a temporal sense is a more internal structure. Yes, political, social, economic forces will be analyzed as well as causes or specific questions. Think of it this way: debating historiography is more of concerning how one should view history vs. debating history events is more within the realm of actual events.

Art

Education

*I'd like to see one done in a parliamentary style.:)

Religion

Science

Politics

Note that some topics may touch off each other and mix into different areas.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:43:17 PM
And the pairs are...........

RoyLatham vs. FourTrouble
Vampire321 vs. TheBomb
StephenHawkings vs. RoyalPaladin
TUF vs. Contra
USM (or member x/replacement) vs. LogicOnRails
Viperking vs. Lannan 13

Choose your subject. Make sure to agree, as a whole of a community, to pick certain subjects. Some will be fused, newer mini-subjects (and more specific ones:P) may be introduced and older mini-subjects not debated may still be introduced.

And remember--this is a fight to death; your primal urges to survive, to marshal enough effort and power, should be needed....

And once again, individual topics and resolutions are picked by the pairs.

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:44:36 PM
Is it first come first serve for what topic you'll debate? Like do we get too chose?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:44:56 PM
At 2/29/2012 7:41:10 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
What are the history subtopics? I'm interested in that.

My categories are rather crude but history subjects can include anything that can be debated and constructively argued.

The latter, history itself, concerns events, causes, effects, underlying questions (aspects of the historical method may be used), and so forth.

Basically, the entirety of history is at your hands to choose from...in this debate.:)

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:45:14 PM
nvm, I thought this was signups crap >.<
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:48:04 PM
At 2/29/2012 7:44:36 PM, phantom wrote:
Is it first come first serve for what topic you'll debate?
Yes......though some compromise is permitted if there's enough tension among members about the topic, which hopefully will not arise....

Like do we get too chose?
Yes, I only choose the pairs and subjects. But then, you choose which subject to debate and the resolution.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:51:29 PM
At 2/29/2012 7:49:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Stephen, I cannot debate until the end of next week. I have midterms coming up.

Hmmm.....when are those midterms coming up?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:51:52 PM
At 2/29/2012 7:51:29 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 2/29/2012 7:49:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Stephen, I cannot debate until the end of next week. I have midterms coming up.

Hmmm.....when are those midterms coming up?

Next week.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:25:44 PM
At 2/29/2012 8:44:12 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
I don't see any topics...

Alright, let me makes this clear.............................

First of all, I do say subjects and mini-subjects. The topics are chosen in the range of the mini-subjects, as well as the resolutions.

For example, I gave you the subject history and two mini-subjects (the debates' topics are confined to such parameters set by the subjects, ahem) and you can chose a topic. For example, with history, you can, ummm..., debate the impact of the Mongolian campaigns, the influence or role of Islam, and so forth.....

You chose the topics from the mini-subjects....

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:30:39 PM
At 2/29/2012 8:14:09 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I don't know anything about history.

Well, then you can either chose something that you are fairly grounded in or research a bit and try to develop a decent understanding.:)

vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:32:26 PM
At 2/29/2012 10:25:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

First of all, I do say subjects and mini-subjects. The topics are chosen in the range of the mini-subjects, as well as the resolutions.

For example, I gave you the subject history and two mini-subjects (the debates' topics are confined to such parameters set by the subjects, ahem) and you can chose a topic. For example, with history, you can, ummm..., debate the impact of the Mongolian campaigns, the influence or role of Islam, and so forth.....

I thought you assign each pair a specific subject.

Do we get to choose? I know nothing about most of these 'subjects'.. D:
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:33:32 PM
At 2/29/2012 10:32:26 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 2/29/2012 10:25:44 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

I thought you assign each pair a specific subject.

Do we get to choose?
Yes.
I know nothing about most of these 'subjects'.. D:
Well, then choose wisely.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:37:33 PM
Alright, I suppose those who don't have any time constraint can start, either by researching or by starting the debate....

And remember, it was going to be a hard tourney.:)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:45:30 PM
RoyLatham vs. FourTrouble-------Philosophy of science
Vampire321 vs. TheBomb---------Art theory. Defense and criticism of romanticism/realism/impressionism (choose one of the three)
StephenHawkings vs. RoyalPaladin-------[I did not include this] Political theory-critique of communist state and either its government, ideology, or context in political philosophy
TUF vs. Contra------------------------------Critique of Marxist view of history
USM (or member x/replacement) vs. LogicOnRails------History/Education reform. (choose)
Viperking vs. Lannan 13--------------------Role of religion in shaping societies (sociological role)

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:46:54 PM
Alright. Let's start. We're no longer waiting for others anymore if it is going to take a few days for us to start.

vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:54:46 PM
At 2/29/2012 10:45:30 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Vampire321 vs. TheBomb---------Art theory. Defense and criticism of romanticism/realism/impressionism (choose one of the three)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 10:59:24 PM
At 2/29/2012 7:48:42 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
@Logic: What do you want to debate?

Give this stated by MIG,

USM (or member x/replacement) vs. LogicOnRails------History/Education reform. (choose)

I'm very strong with education. I could do history although he said historiography. I'd much prefer education, in particular educational reform.

However, I won't be able to post / instigate a debate for a few days because I'm off to mock trial now and have a leadership conference. I can't start preparing a case for at least 3 days.

Here's one idea - distractor rationale taxanomy (see documents and link) http://www.debate.org... ; I'd be pro
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 12:15:25 PM
At 2/29/2012 10:54:46 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
At 2/29/2012 10:45:30 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Yes, I agree with the above statement....
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 12:18:25 PM
A pex preditor what do you want to debate.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~