Jump to topic:

Global Warming Exists

MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 8:56:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The Big Issues topic is unclear. The real big issue is not whether global warming exists, but whether it is man-made. This should be clarified: the name should be changed to "Man-Made Global Warming Exists" or "Humans Caused Global Warming".
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 10:06:26 PM
I interpreted it as "Do humans affect climate change?"
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 10:07:42 PM
I interpreted it as "You can put mouseover comments on your stance, USE THEM.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 9:50:50 AM
At 6/25/2009 8:56:29 PM, MTGandP wrote:
The Big Issues topic is unclear. The real big issue is not whether global warming exists, but whether it is man-made. This should be clarified: the name should be changed to "Man-Made Global Warming Exists" or "Humans Caused Global Warming".

Global warming does not exist though. Regardless if it is man-made or not.

The earth has been cooling since 1998.
http://www.globalresearch.ca...
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 10:33:09 AM
At 6/26/2009 9:50:50 AM, Nags wrote:

Thank you, Nags. The level of ignorance on the issue of Global Warming is astounding. It has been refuted so many times, yet people still believe it exists. Most likely because of our biased media.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 11:56:59 AM
At 6/26/2009 10:33:09 AM, Lifeisgood wrote:

Thank you, Nags. The level of ignorance on the issue of Global Warming is astounding. It has been refuted so many times, yet people still believe it exists. Most likely because of our biased media.

Actually, it is taught in the public school system.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 12:09:55 PM
At 6/26/2009 10:33:09 AM, Lifeisgood wrote:

Let us note that "climate change" is now the preferred wording.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 12:14:13 PM
At 6/26/2009 11:56:59 AM, wjmelements wrote:
Actually, it is taught in the public school system.

WHAT!?!?!!

Actually, considering all the other ignorant things being taught in public schools, I'm not surprised. What else are kids being taught in school these days?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 12:56:49 PM
At 6/26/2009 12:09:55 PM, Volkov wrote:
Let us note that "climate change" is now the preferred wording.

Whatever. :p
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 1:37:11 PM
At 6/26/2009 7:47:50 AM, Volkov wrote:
Could just mean 'the planet is warming up,' and not consider whether it is human influenced or not.

But that's not what really matters. What matters is whether it is human influenced.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 1:43:24 PM
At 6/26/2009 1:37:11 PM, MTGandP wrote:
Could just mean 'the planet is warming up,' and not consider whether it is human influenced or not.

But that's not what really matters. What matters is whether it is human influenced.

As this thread aptly demonstrates, there is still many 'Global Warming' critics, let alone climate change deniers.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 1:59:05 PM
At 6/26/2009 1:43:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 6/26/2009 1:37:11 PM, MTGandP wrote:

As this thread aptly demonstrates, there is still many 'Global Warming' critics, let alone climate change deniers.

True. But when people say that the earth is not warming, that's not what they really care about. What they really care about is that humans are not causing the earth to warm (they can't be, because the earth isn't even warming).
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 2:03:38 PM
At 6/26/2009 1:59:05 PM, MTGandP wrote:
True. But when people say that the earth is not warming, that's not what they really care about. What they really care about is that humans are not causing the earth to warm (they can't be, because the earth isn't even warming).

Maybe we should have two climate-change related BIG issues; Global Warming Exists and Human Climate Change, with possible rewording of the latter.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 2:18:59 PM
At 6/26/2009 2:03:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
Maybe we should have two climate-change related BIG issues; Global Warming Exists and Human Climate Change, with possible rewording of the latter.

I agree. That is a good solution.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 3:18:33 PM
Volkov and MTGandP--- how can you possibly say that "Global Warming Exists" if temperatures have clearly decreased since 1998?
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 3:24:23 PM
At 6/26/2009 3:18:33 PM, Nags wrote:
Volkov and MTGandP--- how can you possibly say that "Global Warming Exists" if temperatures have clearly decreased since 1998?

Because they haven't. You're cherry picking.

And anyway, the point is that there is disagreement. Even if you can't comprehend why some people think global warming exists, they do think it, and there is therefore room for debate.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 3:27:56 PM

a) Because the ice caps are melting, and to say otherwise is to ignore a myriad of data that says otherwise.
b) According to NOAA, as the average land temperature has indeed gone up since 1880 (ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov...). It fluctuates year-to-year, as recorded 2007 was hotter than 2008, etc. But in the long-term trend, we are warming. We're probably heading for something similar to the Medieval Warming Period.
c) We're still in an inter-glacial warming period, duh.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 4:55:48 PM
At 6/26/2009 3:27:56 PM, Volkov wrote:

a) Because the ice caps are melting, and to say otherwise is to ignore a myriad of data that says otherwise.

Yes, the ice caps are constantly melting... and then freezing over again.

b) According to NOAA, as the average land temperature has indeed gone up since 1880

Keyword here: the average land temperature. Overall, the globe is not warming significantly.

Also, I wish to make this clear: I do not believe Global Warming is impossible. I believe that humans, if we all try hard enough, can do phenomenal things, including altering our environment. With Global Warming, we're just not trying hard enough.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 5:02:37 PM
At 6/26/2009 4:55:48 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
Yes, the ice caps are constantly melting... and then freezing over again.

Yes.. thank you, we all know this.

Keyword here: the average land temperature. Overall, the globe is not warming significantly.

Land & Sea Temperature Anomalies Combined:
ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov...

Clearly, since 1880 there has been a warming trend. It is a product of natural cycles that the planet goes through. The data is there.
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 5:33:09 PM
At 6/26/2009 5:02:37 PM, Volkov wrote:

Then why did you use it as an argument for the existence of Global Warming?

Clearly, since 1880 there has been a warming trend. It is a product of natural cycles that the planet goes through. The data is there.

Your source was somewhat unclear. Here is a better one.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov...

Look at the graph. It show that the average Global temperature has increased by less that one degree Celsius.

I would not call that significant climate change. You wouldn't so much as feel a single degree hike or drop. That isn't Global Warming, that's natural temperature fluctuation. It happens all the time.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 5:44:27 PM
At 6/26/2009 5:33:09 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
At 6/26/2009 5:02:37 PM, Volkov wrote:

Then why did you use it as an argument for the existence of Global Warming?

Because the ice caps are melting consistently, as they always have, which is a sign of global warming. This is what our planet does - it warms, cools, freezes over, and starts the process again.

Your source was somewhat unclear. Here is a better one.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov...

Look at the graph. It show that the average Global temperature has increased by less that one degree Celsius.

Again, this is the global average temperature, not little regional temperatures from Missouri. Even one-half degree Celsius is a significant change on the global scale. Two degrees or more is a major one.

I would not call that significant climate change. You wouldn't so much as feel a single degree hike or drop. That isn't Global Warming, that's natural temperature fluctuation. It happens all the time.

Yes, it does. I agree completely. The world temperature fluctuates, but not on as big of a scale as shown. When temperature rises, you will see these 0.6 C rises, and you'll have something similar to the Medieval Warming Period. Does it mean we'll all catch on fire? No, but it is significant enough to notice that the planet is warming.
tribefan011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 3:28:42 PM
At 6/25/2009 8:56:29 PM, MTGandP wrote:

The earth has been cooling since 1998.
http://www.globalresearch.ca...

I love this issue on debate.org. I think it accurately shows who's an idiot and who's not.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com...

If you bothered to read your link (which is a link a lot of conservative douchebags like to use), Figure 2 and 3 are not current. They also fail to refute the scientific theory endorsed by almost every major scientific organization. The claim that global temperatures in 2007-2008 turned sharply downward is a joke.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov...
"The global annual temperature for combined land and ocean surfaces in 2007 was +0.55°C (+0.99°F) above the 20th century average, ranking 5th warmest in the period of record."
http://www.sciencedaily.com...

You can back yourself with faulty graphs, faulty statistics, and wrong analysis, but I'll stick to the current numbers and the facts. Global warming is occurring. If you deny that, you're an idiot.
tribefan011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 3:29:56 PM

They haven't...
Start using real numbers. Local anomalies do not negate global trends.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 4:04:16 PM
I used to be pretty sure that global warming was human cause. Taught it in school. Government promoted it too. With all these differing studies and factors, I'm unsure, but given that conservative normally cherry pick statistics for their proof, I would choose Human caused global warming if I had a gun to my head.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 6:14:53 PM
I attribute GW to volcanic activity and, yes, the sun.

CO2 has such an insignificant effect on climate, and the amount of it produced by nature significantly outweighs the amount we could possibly produce.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 6:49:22 PM
At 7/9/2009 6:14:53 PM, wjmelements wrote:

CO2 has such an insignificant effect on climate, and the amount of it produced by nature significantly outweighs the amount we could possibly produce.

All that aside - natural cycles. No one seems to understand that, and they freak out about the world warming despite it happening at least several dozen other times in the planet's history.

I am only pro-environmentalism because I do believe our resources are finite, and pollution in our air, water and etc. is a major health concern.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2009 6:52:31 PM
At 7/9/2009 6:49:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/9/2009 6:14:53 PM, wjmelements wrote:

All that aside - natural cycles. No one seems to understand that, and they freak out about the world warming despite it happening at least several dozen other times in the planet's history.

We agree yet again.

I am only pro-environmentalism because I do believe our resources are finite, and pollution in our air, water and etc. is a major health concern.

I agree that these are concerns; however, I believe that proper enforcement of liability laws through class actions will discourage such problems.

On the resource side, when resources draw low, it will be more profitable to reuse, recycle, etc. The problem will likely cure itself if left to the market.