Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Favorite Quotations

Kefka
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2009 10:53:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Let's here everyone's favorite quotations! Not just the ones on your profile, pull out some awesome ones! I'll start with one everyone will see coming, but regardless.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" - Karl Marx
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:49:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 1:07:41 AM, Kefka wrote:
At 6/26/2009 10:55:28 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Wrong board.

Ruin my fun why don't you.

This should be under Misc, not DDO.

Anyways:
"Like a baseball game, wars are not over till they are over. Wars don't run on a clock like football. No previous generation was so hopelessly unrealistic that this had to be explained to them." -Thomas Sowell
"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it. " -Thomas Sowell
"The real minimum wage is zero." -Thomas Sowell
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong." -Thomas Sowell

And, my favorite by him:
"Unlike chess pieces, human beings have their own individual preferences, values, plans and wills, all of which can conflict with and even thwart the goals of social experiments." -Thomas Sowell
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Kefka
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 11:54:30 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 7:49:15 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/27/2009 1:07:41 AM, Kefka wrote:
At 6/26/2009 10:55:28 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Wrong board.

Ruin my fun why don't you.

This should be under Misc, not DDO.

Anyways:
"Like a baseball game, wars are not over till they are over. Wars don't run on a clock like football. No previous generation was so hopelessly unrealistic that this had to be explained to them." -Thomas Sowell
"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it. " -Thomas Sowell
"The real minimum wage is zero." -Thomas Sowell
"It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong." -Thomas Sowell

And, my favorite by him:
"Unlike chess pieces, human beings have their own individual preferences, values, plans and wills, all of which can conflict with and even thwart the goals of social experiments." -Thomas Sowell

Well seeing that Sowell was a Marxist then turned against it, I'm not surprised by a few of those quotes. He didn't believe that Marx understand the labor theory of value, which I disagree. It doesn't have to be a monetary value.
Kefka
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 11:56:43 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
"He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face."
--Ben Franklin

A good jab at foreign policy :D
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 12:00:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to buy fishing rods, bait, tackles, a boat, a cooler and a 6 pack of beer. Just give him the damn fish."

(As per my signature):

"My English teacher wanted to have sex in Junior High. The only problem was, my English teacher was a guy" - Eminem

"If at first you don't succeed, won't hurt to smoke some weed" - Dr.Dre
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 12:01:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/26/2009 10:55:28 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Wrong board.

Inb4 Poejoe claims that this is a forum not a board.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 2:11:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 12:01:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/26/2009 10:55:28 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Wrong board.
Inb4 Poejoe claims that this is a forum not a board.

A "board" and "forum" are synonyms. I just happen to prefer the term "forum."
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 6:38:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." -Abraham Lincoln
I love this quote. Really powerful.

"Ask what you can do for your country, not what your country can do for you." -JFK
Clockwork
Posts: 349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:05:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 2:11:38 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 6/27/2009 12:01:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/26/2009 10:55:28 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Wrong board.
Inb4 Poejoe claims that this is a forum not a board.

A "board" and "forum" are synonyms. I just happen to prefer the term "forum."

Actually, the technical term is a "strand". Think of the entire collection of categories to be a giant sweater. Each of the categories (religion, news, society, etc.) is a "strand" in the sweater, and each topic is a "thread" in the "strand".

Nerdtalk FTW.
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
Clockwork
Posts: 349
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:16:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was multitasking while watching House once, heard something and did a double-take and decided to look up just what it was he said. After I found it i stuck it on my desktop. It was:

"You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to get you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the street, I know you look both ways."
Felonial Disenfranchisement: http://www.debate.org...
Poverty v. Environmental Protection: http://www.debate.org...
On God and Free Will: http://www.debate.org...
LB628
Posts: 176
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:42:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
"Men create gods after their own image, not only with regard to their form but with regard to their mode of life."-Aristotle

"That the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection."-John Stuart Mill

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."-Groucho Marx
lil_Oreo
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:44:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
One of my faves is in my sig: When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace

And the other: The promise of success and the chance of failure always go hand in hand.
(dont know where either one came from, found em surfin the net)
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 8:23:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 7:44:43 PM, lil_Oreo wrote:
One of my faves is in my sig: When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace

Your favorite quotation is one of the worst fallacies I've seen. Love of power is not the cause of war and the "power of love" cannot prevent war.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Aric
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 8:27:16 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Not really a quote, it's actually the title of an album. But w/e, I'll post it anyway.

"The light at the end of the tunnel is a train."
lil_Oreo
Posts: 61
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 8:33:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 8:23:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/27/2009 7:44:43 PM, lil_Oreo wrote:
One of my faves is in my sig: When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace

Your favorite quotation is one of the worst fallacies I've seen. Love of power is not the cause of war and the "power of love" cannot prevent war.

then do you want to tell me what does cause war?
(either way, its just a quote i found on the net a while ago and i happened to like it. sheesh)
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the world will know Peace.
s0m31john
Posts: 1,879
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 1:24:33 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 6/27/2009 2:11:38 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 6/27/2009 12:01:01 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/26/2009 10:55:28 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Wrong board.
Inb4 Poejoe claims that this is a forum not a board.

A "board" and "forum" are synonyms. I just happen to prefer the term "forum."

I used board to denote the categories and the forum encompasses all of the boards. Not correct I know, but I prefer it that way.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 6:54:48 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
"The State has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

"If I found in my own ranks that a certain number of guys wanted to cut my throat, I'd make sure that I cut their throats first." - Another Pierre Elliott Trudeau quote.

"The reason that the Croats want a state of their own is that they fear being cut into little pieces by the Serbs." - Michael Ignatieff.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2009 8:30:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
"An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before. An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before." -Mark Twain

"Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable." -Mark Twain

"I have a higher and grander standard of principle than George Washington. He could not lie; I can, but I won't." -Mark Twain

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." -Mark Twain

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." -Mark Twain

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them." -Mark Twain