Jump to topic:

Who has the burden of proof?

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 11:37:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some people say the instigator has the burden of proof, and some say Pro does. Who does?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 11:46:15 AM
A lot of it depends on the resolution. The BOP generally lies on whoever advocates a change in the status quo, but for debates where no change is made (like debates about morals or something similar) the BOP is generally shared.

In formal debate the affirmative has the burden of proof, because they're the one making a claim.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 12:12:24 PM
If someone proposes something, then they hold the proof. This works for every claim as well as the resolution.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:18:02 PM
At 3/11/2012 12:12:24 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
If someone proposes something, then they hold the proof. This works for every claim as well as the resolution.

This - If someone proposes something positive or negative (i.e., not neutral) then they hold the burden. This applies whether they are Pro or Con, though anyone who instigates a debate as Con ought to consider re-wording the resolution so that they can argue from the Pro position. It's just easier that way.
President of DDO
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:33:33 PM
At 3/11/2012 1:18:02 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/11/2012 12:12:24 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

This - If someone proposes something positive or negative (i.e., not neutral) then they hold the burden. This applies whether they are Pro or Con, though anyone who instigates a debate as Con ought to consider re-wording the resolution so that they can argue from the Pro position. It's just easier that way.

well...

if negative is "X does not exist" then BoP lies on the person affirming that statement. If the statement is "X exists" and someone is CON, then the BoP is on PRO.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 1:35:37 PM
At 3/11/2012 11:37:03 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Some people say the instigator has the burden of proof, and some say Pro does. Who does?

It's funny you ask. I am debating somebody about this in the common section of a debate right now.

http://www.debate.org...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227