Jump to topic:

Debate voting periods

Kefka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 11:02:28 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Does anyone agree with me that having a limited voting period on a debate, sort of interferes with the point of the debate? Are people just so worried about a lose/win record, that they want voting to be done with in a certain period of time, even if it is, a long time? Having an unlimited voting period allows the greatest evaluation of a debate, since voters can have ample time to read the debate with the utmost care and see comments that ensue to further understand each debater's standpoint.

P.S. If this is in the wrong thread, sorry. If this has already been discussed, sorry. :D
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 11:07:35 AM
I personally like definite voting periods just because I'm the kind of person that likes things to be done with. No uncertainty about it, etc. But, that being said, indefinite voting periods allows for greater evaluation and representation of votes. So if you're going to structure a debate on votes, I would choose the latter.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 11:15:16 AM
indefinite periods piss me off. people will just keep voting against me on those god damned YEC debates.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kefka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 12:09:55 PM
At 6/29/2009 11:07:35 AM, Volkov wrote:
I personally like definite voting periods just because I'm the kind of person that likes things to be done with. No uncertainty about it, etc. But, that being said, indefinite voting periods allows for greater evaluation and representation of votes. So if you're going to structure a debate on votes, I would choose the latter.

Well I'm not so much worried about votes as in the "I have more points than you, I win" idea. It's just seeing how people vote, WITH an RFD of course, or else the vote is useless, allows you to learn how to develop rhetoric and debating skillzzzz. Like I said, some people are just too worried about the win/loss record, in my opinion.
Chuckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 1:30:28 PM
well, i'm not really important enough to worry much about getting vote-bombed, but i like indefinite voting periods.
"Pumas are wretched beasts with enourmous salty genitals."-MadMonkey889

: At 5/5/2009 9:47:22 PM, rogerklotz wrote:
:That's obviously changed by the government. The Atlanteans probably had something to do with it.
: QUIT USING LOGIC

: At 4/25/2009 3:09:34 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
:God is GOING to have His way with you.
: At 5/5/2009 11:41:18 AM, Volkov wrote:
:When both sides can agree and disagree without someone quoting Proverbs, then the debate comes worthwhile