Jump to topic:

Thaddeus J River: The experience

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:08:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I personally believe that this is far to early to be campaigning, but seeing as everyone else has gone into election fever, I've decided to post my platform (however, as a mild form of protest, I've left it in its raw disorganised form).

I will be primarily focusing on user retention rather than expansion. I believe that the close community is one of the greatest features that DDO has to offer.

-A mafia championship - a slightly more standardized game (so people don't cry foul) with scoring aspects. I will also appoint a minister for mafia to preside over forum games, in particular the list, and tournament organization

- An official DDO debate tournament - far more demanding time limits, so that they run faster and don't die out. They would be less frequent and advance warning would be given so that members would be prepared.

- A debate topic of the week initiative

- Various iniatives to improve community retention and relations. These would include choosing official representatives of each ideology who would be in charge of inducting new members into DDO and strengthening community ties to each other. The representatives would also be responsible for preventing voting blocs forming and checking their members voting for vote bombing. Various inter-ideology tournaments could be organized as well.

- A DDO constitution and Bill of rights. I believe that a formal bill of rights and a constitution is vital for making trials for misconduct formal. The TOS is insufficient purely because it is almost universally agreed to be a bad indicator of whether someone should be banned. This can be evidenced by the fact that everyone breaks it.

- A tribunal system for the purposes of trials, with veteran users as the judges and jury. This would function as a five person elected tribune where people don't nominate themselves, but are selected by the community (they obviously can reject the position if they want, but I wouldn't imagine many would given that they are being selected on the basis of their responsability). A prosecution and defence would then have a debate after which the members of the tribunal would vote. If for any reason a member of the tribunal might be considered biased regarding a particular case, a substitute would be found. They would need a 4/5 guilty verdict and then an agreement on the punishment.

Whilst I believe that constant communication with Juggle is very important, I am not making any promises which rely on them doing anything for us. Don't get me wrong - I will try, but to base a platform off change performed by Juggle would be sheer foolishness and disingenuity. It is obvious that DDO is a low priority.

My VP is Tvellalot, who has proven himself and is still proving himself to be very competent in this role with innomen.

I would remind people that this is not the finished platform, but a taster. I refuse to release a final version until I believe that getting hyped up over the election is sensible from a time perspective.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:14:51 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:08:07 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I personally believe that this is far to early to be campaigning, but seeing as everyone else has gone into election fever, I've decided to post my platform (however, as a mild form of protest, I've left it in its raw disorganised form).

I will be primarily focusing on user retention rather than expansion. I believe that the close community is one of the greatest features that DDO has to offer.

-A mafia championship - a slightly more standardized game (so people don't cry foul) with scoring aspects. I will also appoint a minister for mafia to preside over forum games, in particular the list, and tournament organization

- An official DDO debate tournament - far more demanding time limits, so that they run faster and don't die out. They would be less frequent and advance warning would be given so that members would be prepared.

- Various iniatives to improve community retention and relations. These would include choosing official representatives of each ideology who would be in charge of inducting new members into DDO and strengthening community ties to each other. The representatives would also be responsible for preventing voting blocs forming and checking their members voting for vote bombing. Various inter-ideology tournaments could be organized as well.

- A DDO constitution and Bill of rights. I believe that a formal bill of rights and a constitution is vital for making trials for misconduct formal. The TOS is insufficient purely because it is almost universally agreed to be a bad indicator of whether someone should be banned. This can be evidenced by the fact that everyone breaks it.

- A tribunal system for the purposes of trials, with veteran users as the judges and jury. This would function as a five person elected tribune where people don't nominate themselves, but are selected by the community (they obviously can reject the position if they want, but I wouldn't imagine many would given that they are being selected on the basis of their responsability). A prosecution and defence would then have a debate after which the members of the tribunal would vote. If for any reason a member of the tribunal might be considered biased regarding a particular case, a substitute would be found. They would need a 4/5 guilty verdict and then an agreement on the punishment.

Whilst I believe that constant communication with Juggle is very important, I am not making any promises which rely on them doing anything for us. Don't get me wrong - I will try, but to base a platform off change performed by Juggle would be sheer foolishness and disingenuity. It is obvious that DDO is a low priority.

My VP is Tvellalot, who has proven himself and is still proving himself to be very competent in this role with innomen.

I would remind people that this is not the finished platform, but a taster. I refuse to release a final version until I believe that getting hyped up over the election is sensible from a time perspective.

Are you a good communicator?
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:17:04 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:14:51 PM, tyler90az wrote:

An excellent communicator. I would point to a good debate record (in particular the most recent round of the 16K trials), and history as Innomen's advisor as evidence.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:22:01 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:17:04 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

An excellent communicator. I would point to a good debate record (in particular the most recent round of the 16K trials), and history as Innomen's advisor as evidence.

Are you able to speak to a juggle representative on the phone effectively? If that situation should arise.....

I have experience in all forms of communication, not just typing....
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:22:42 PM

NOOOO! We like it the way it is... Free.

The list is already Overempowering and ever omni-present. I don't want a dictator in charge of the mafia games, that will destroy the fun and activity.

I approve of the rest of your additions though.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:23:28 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:22:01 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Are you able to speak to a juggle representative on the phone effectively? If that situation should arise.....

Yes, easily. I have had to do so in a work capacity before.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:23:33 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:22:01 PM, tyler90az wrote:

It doesn't take extra special skills to talk to somebody over the phone. Derp.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:23:49 PM

don't play mafia no effect on me...

what if I don't wanna join?

explain

Interesting. I have done that, minus the Representative part.

interesting

agree

lol

N/O

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:25:11 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:23:49 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Most active people on this site do.

Then....herpaderpaherp......don't join.

explain

Week debate topics.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:25:26 PM
I must admit you're taking this a bit seriously. My initial thought was that you were a popularity candidate. As far as contact with Juggle goes, I honestly don't expect much and don't want much. I know the Rivalslib Party relied heavily on Juggle involvement and I think that's why it wasn't more popular. Self organization by members themselves has proven successful in areas like mafia and the infant trial system and tourney system I feel have the potential to be fixed to work well. Plus community regulation of the site is much more libertarian ;) So long as we have a good mod, I think Juggle should be kept out as much as possible.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:26:19 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:25:11 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

so?

he needs to say if it is required or not, for all you know it is...

explain

Week debate topics.

is it mandatory?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:27:00 PM

You don't have to?

explain

We would offer a debate topic ideas every week for people to debate. It would prevent the same sort of debate topics popping up all the time.

lol
Do you contest this view?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:27:28 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:26:19 PM, 16kadams wrote:

so?

So if something benefits the majority, it ought to be considered to be implemented.

Forced debates? B!tch please.

explain

Week debate topics.

is it mandatory?

*Facepalm*
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:28:07 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:22:42 PM, TUF wrote:

NOOOO! We like it the way it is... Free.

The list is already Overempowering and ever omni-present. I don't want a dictator in charge of the mafia games, that will destroy the fun and activity.

I approve of the rest of your additions though.

This. I think the current method of self regulating mafia games are the best way possible to organize mafia games.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:28:38 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:25:26 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I must admit you're taking this a bit seriously. My initial thought was that you were a popularity candidate. As far as contact with Juggle goes, I honestly don't expect much and don't want much. I know the Rivalslib Party relied heavily on Juggle involvement and I think that's why it wasn't more popular. Self organization by members themselves has proven successful in areas like mafia and the infant trial system and tourney system I feel have the potential to be fixed to work well. Plus community regulation of the site is much more libertarian ;) So long as we have a good mod, I think Juggle should be kept out as much as possible.

In order to get any type of upgrades for this site we must choose somebody who can communicate effectively with Juggle. All it takes is one miscommunication from the Pres and we won't hear from Juggle for awhile. I am sure Innomen could elaborate on that more though.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:30:50 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:27:00 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

You don't have to?

explain

We would offer a debate topic ideas every week for people to debate. It would prevent the same sort of debate topics popping up all the time.

lol
Do you contest this view?

No I do not.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:31:30 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:28:38 PM, tyler90az wrote:

In order to get any type of upgrades for this site we must choose somebody who can communicate effectively with Juggle. All it takes is one miscommunication from the Pres and we won't hear from Juggle for awhile. I am sure Innomen could elaborate on that more though.

I agree that communication is necessary. I don't think Thad will have any sort of problem with that. However, I don't expect much from them and don't want the President to rely too much on them to do anything.
:
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:32:25 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:27:28 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

so?

So if something benefits the majority, it ought to be considered to be implemented.

you pro SSM now?
http://www.reuters.com...

Forced debates? B!tch please.

This was sorted out.

explain

Week debate topics.

is it mandatory?

*Facepalm*

This was sorted out too, he might be like freedo and make everything mandatory, you never know.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:32:27 PM
I agree that communication is necessary. I don't think Thad will have any sort of problem with that. However, I don't expect much from them and don't want the President to rely too much on them to do anything.

I agree it is the members that make this site so special.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:32:36 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:31:30 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Well, it seems the community can operate outside of Juggle in certain situations.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:33:55 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:32:25 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/11/2012 6:27:28 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

so?

you pro SSM now?
http://www.reuters.com...

Key word: Considered
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:35:01 PM

^
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:37:04 PM
A DDO constitution and Bill of rights. I believe that a formal bill of rights and a constitution is vital for making trials for misconduct formal. The TOS is insufficient purely because it is almost universally agreed to be a bad indicator of whether someone should be banned. This can be evidenced by the fact that everyone breaks it.

I think every serious candidate should have this on their platform.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:37:28 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:32:36 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 3/11/2012 6:31:30 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Well, it seems the community can operate outside of Juggle in certain situations.

I think that's what makes Thad's platform as good as it is. I think a mod is necessary (not sure what Innomen is going to do with his mod powers when he leaves the presidency) and that's pretty much it. Perhaps in some situations communication with Juggle is necessary and that's why it matters a bit. I think Thad can do that effectively.
:
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:39:56 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:37:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
A DDO constitution and Bill of rights. I believe that a formal bill of rights and a constitution is vital for making trials for misconduct formal. The TOS is insufficient purely because it is almost universally agreed to be a bad indicator of whether someone should be banned. This can be evidenced by the fact that everyone breaks it.

Agree... I would nominate 8(more or less) members to help draft the first DDO Constitution.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:40:33 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:39:56 PM, tyler90az wrote:
At 3/11/2012 6:37:04 PM, 000ike wrote:

Agree... I would nominate 8(more or less) members to help draft the first DDO Constitution.

Good for you. Have a cookie.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:41:17 PM
Wonder why we couldn't start drafting the Constitution now?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:45:52 PM
On another note, I think we've had a moderate libertarian president for long enough. We need to go back to the days of Cody when the presidency was strictly an Ancap position. Our site was clearly founded on anarchist values, I just don't see how a non-anarchist could fill the position.
:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:46:52 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:45:52 PM, socialpinko wrote:
On another note, I think we've had a moderate libertarian president for long enough. We need to go back to the days of Cody when the presidency was strictly an Ancap position. Our site was clearly founded on anarchist values, I just don't see how a non-anarchist could fill the position.

Does it matter?

Honestly, I would prefer a president that doesn't take his political view into account during decisions.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2012 6:52:40 PM
At 3/11/2012 6:46:52 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 3/11/2012 6:45:52 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Does it matter?

Honestly, I would prefer a president that doesn't take his political view into account during decisions.

Clearly a joke.
: