Jump to topic:

Goodbye

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 9:37:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The first attempt was a brief history of the site, detailing the rise and fall of DDO -- how there were both good and bad times -- starting from the day I joined the website on 11 December 2007 and proceeding through to today. But I deleted it because the history of DDO is largely inconsequential. (I've learned this the hard way.) The second was the explanation: my critique of this website, explanations for why this site can never succeed, my reasons for leaving, and some insights about the essence of our dear site. I deleted this second attempt because it just didn't feel right.

This is the third attempt at writing a farewell speech to DDO, and I have come to realize that it just doesn't matter.

I have tried to be soaringly optimistic about this website -- many users poke fun of me for my irrational optimism -- but the time has come for me just to walk away. I could offer my thoughts as I did in my first two drafts, but I just don't have the heart for it.

I wish all the best wishes to the friends I've made on here and for the success of DDO.

As for me, though, I say farewell.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 9:46:57 PM
I mean...what?

I don't get this. If you like to debate, then I don't know why you'd leave...let alone make a weird little post about it.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 10:10:55 PM
Is debate.org really so bad that you have to leave o.O?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 10:30:28 PM
Poejoe, I hope you'll reconsider. You're like the self appointed, but all accepted police of the site. You keep this site moving, just as much as Phil. Without you, it's not quite DDO anymore. You've done so much, and I know it sounds cliched, but it seems a shame for you to just walk away. You were right, DDO has potential. It just takes time.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 10:37:52 PM
Buh bye~

Though I find it rather ironic that I came back partly because I saw your comment on my profile saying that the site has improved, and now you're leaving.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 11:55:41 PM
At 6/29/2009 9:37:06 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
The first attempt was a brief history of the site, detailing the rise and fall of DDO -- how there were both good and bad times -- starting from the day I joined the website on 11 December 2007 and proceeding through to today. But I deleted it because the history of DDO is largely inconsequential. (I've learned this the hard way.) The second was the explanation: my critique of this website, explanations for why this site can never succeed, my reasons for leaving, and some insights about the essence of our dear site. I deleted this second attempt because it just didn't feel right.

This is the third attempt at writing a farewell speech to DDO, and I have come to realize that it just doesn't matter.

I have tried to be soaringly optimistic about this website -- many users poke fun of me for my irrational optimism -- but the time has come for me just to walk away. I could offer my thoughts as I did in my first two drafts, but I just don't have the heart for it.

I wish all the best wishes to the friends I've made on here and for the success of DDO.

As for me, though, I say farewell.

Well actually, I'd like to know why this site can never succeed, if you don't mind.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 6:57:39 AM
At 6/29/2009 10:30:28 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
Poejoe, I hope you'll reconsider. You're like the self appointed, but all accepted police of the site. You keep this site moving, just as much as Phil. Without you, it's not quite DDO anymore. You've done so much, and I know it sounds cliched, but it seems a shame for you to just walk away. You were right, DDO has potential. It just takes time.

Agreed. You do have a niche here and it'll be hard to fill.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 7:36:42 AM
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I find DebateFans fairly useful. If PoeJoe is now gone and he intends to only keep it running for awhile longer, who do we get to keep it running?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 10:14:07 AM
At 6/30/2009 7:36:42 AM, Volkov wrote:
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I find DebateFans fairly useful. If PoeJoe is now gone and he intends to only keep it running for awhile longer, who do we get to keep it running?

I would say John, but he has to support Debatechan. Why can't anyones uncle own/be high up in a hosting company?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 2:58:45 PM
Hey, Debate.org wouldn't be the same without you. You should reconsider. Perhaps you could remain a member even if you visit less frequently?

Anyway, here's an 80's classic to add to the previous musical inducements to stay.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 3:37:49 PM
PoeJoe:

Sell/Give DebateFans to someone. I like it and I think that it should be passed on for generations.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 9:15:57 PM
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 7:33:26 PM
PoeJoe+1...

Don't go... Sure the site may take time to improve structurally, but the community is great (and improving weekly).
Charlie_Danger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 12:40:26 AM
At 7/3/2009 11:47:17 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure why you are leaving. Stay!

He's gone, Skeptic, he's gone....

Maybe someday his ghost will grace us in another body....
http://www.Debate.org...
^Latest Debate^

http://www.Debate.org...
word

http://www.debate.org...
lolwut^

http://www.myspace.com...
^Not music, but music^

Music Line of The Day:
"She burns like the sun, and I can't turn away"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 2:33:20 AM
Fixing fail farewell music selection...

Fixed.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.