Jump to topic:

Debatefans.com

ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 2:53:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
In case nobody knows, poejoe does plan on taking down on "1 August 2009 12:01AM". This is quite a tragedy for some and glee for others. Fret not! I am returning to DDO for one sole reason. To assume debatefans as my own until a new domain is purchased and used. In the mean time, please use this website for your DDO needs.

http://debatefans.blogspot.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 2:57:37 PM
Well, it is great that you decided to create this, but I'm wondering why you appointed yourself the interim DebateFans editor. I don't remember any decision or notice about this.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 3:00:43 PM
Actually i was going to email the password to the more prominent members of DDO and they are in charge too. I liked DF, and wouldnt like to see it go. Therefore, if you would like to help with nominations for possible affiliates of the new site PM me and please tell me who you see fit to run the new site.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 3:05:51 PM
Sounds fair. We should have nominations for who could run the new site, and possibly ask ourselves if there is enough support to even keep DF running. I personally support DF, but if we can't get at least a large minority of active users using it, then we might as well forget it.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 3:13:03 PM
Agreed. So for now, may I have responsibility? Like I said, we should keep nominations anonymous. Send me a list of who you think should run DF.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 3:22:17 PM
At 7/2/2009 3:16:33 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I support DF as long as it supports roe vs. Wade and has free healthcare.

Of course. Any good media outlet has a liberal bias.

About anonymous nominations; why? It isn't as if we're discussing some top-secret, life-changing, DDO-altering subject. I say have open nominations, let people put their name forward as the editor, and you can have a vote on it. Quick, simple, easy.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 3:34:54 PM
Personally, I think Kleptin would be an excellent choice. He is articulate, smart and fairly unbiased. He also comes on fairly regularly, has been on the site for a long while, and is well known on the site. The question is whether or not he would accept it.

Logical-Master would be my second choice, for the same reasons.

Then of course, I would nominate myself was an editor, just because I'm that awesome. Plus, I think I'm fairly well-liked and I can be contribute to the site if I'm the editor. I just don't have the experience as others.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 3:41:06 PM
Nominations acknowledged:

Current Editor-in-chief nominations:
Kleptin

Current co-editor nominations:
Logical-Master

Reviser Nominations:
Volkov
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 8:01:43 PM
Blogspot is lame.

PoeJoe if you're reading this I'll take DebateFans off of your hands and cover all of the hosting fees. That way it will still have a real domain.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 8:18:04 PM
At 7/2/2009 8:01:43 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Blogspot is lame.

PoeJoe if you're reading this I'll take DebateFans off of your hands and cover all of the hosting fees. That way it will still have a real domain.

Are you planning on turning DF into DebateChan, john?
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 8:27:36 PM
At 7/2/2009 8:18:04 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/2/2009 8:01:43 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Blogspot is lame.

Are you planning on turning DF into DebateChan, john?

Not particularly. I just have hosting right now so I could host the site with the same domain if PoeJoe transferred it to my Godaddy account.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 8:32:51 PM
At 7/2/2009 8:27:36 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Not particularly. I just have hosting right now so I could host the site with the same domain if PoeJoe transferred it to my Godaddy account.

Sounds good enough to me. As long as we can keep the domain, all's well.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 9:21:28 PM
Likewise, I'd prefer PoeJoe to have s0m31john take over it. Not only because of the domain name, but because s0m31john is great with all this computer technology funk.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2009 10:03:12 PM
At 7/2/2009 9:21:28 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
Likewise, I'd prefer PoeJoe to have s0m31john take over it. Not only because of the domain name, but because s0m31john is great with all this computer technology funk.

no offense to usaf, but i wholeheartedly agree.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 8:14:19 AM
I've talked with PoeJoe and we are in the process of transferring the domain. You may experience 1 to 2 days of downtime, but that's about it. For the moment the layout will not change. When I have the site up and running on my host we'll talk about giving each of you an account to edit and post content (within certain limits of course).
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 1:49:48 PM
It's going to be a day or two until the official transfer, PoeJoe is backing everything up.

Also, check my signature for my new website project.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 7:52:45 PM
At 7/2/2009 3:16:33 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I support DF as long as it supports roe vs. Wade and has free healthcare.

LOL... but I don't think it has to have an opinion on that.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2009 7:54:19 PM
At 7/3/2009 8:14:19 AM, s0m31john wrote:
I've talked with PoeJoe and we are in the process of transferring the domain. You may experience 1 to 2 days of downtime, but that's about it. For the moment the layout will not change. When I have the site up and running on my host we'll talk about giving each of you an account to edit and post content (within certain limits of course).

Great.

Seeing as DebateFans is not going to be permanently down, I see no reason for usaf or anyone to manage an equivalent on Blogspot.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 8:30:49 AM
Sorry to resurrect this, but I felt it was better than creating a new topic.

Unless something changes fairly soon, it appears as if Debatefans.com won't be running anymore. PoeJoe is asking an inordinate amount of money for it, and no one could be expected to pay it.

That being said, if there is enough interest in DebateFans, we could start up a new website - an actual website, not a blogger site - with a new but similar domain. The question is - are people interested that much in a continuation of DF, or has the idea run its course?
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:14:41 AM
I would be interested in upkeep. Rather than spending the money on PoeJoe's project, since he seems to have turned into the Anti-DDO, someone could create a new one.

It sounds like Volkov is interested?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:16:06 AM
I mean no offense to anyone, but I don't really see the point of DF at all. I'm on the site right now and so far I've seen articles about text formatting debates, vote bombing , Panda's account being closed, Askbob's cease and desist letter, etc -- all of which could very easily be discussed in the forums (and all of which HAS been discussed in the forums). In fact, I'd argue that the forums are a more appropriate place for said discussion, since far more people frequent DDO and the forums here as opposed to DF. As such, more people can contribute here... and isn't that the point?

I'll admit that The Cookbook is pretty cool, along with the dictionary that explains certain acronyms (I had no idea what an RFD was for the longest time...). Additionally, I like that there is another place to talk about Phil and all of his shortcomings (lol) without fear of being banned or violating something from the ToS. So, I advocate that the "other" place for DDO should just be the new Facebook group...

1) Everything that is posted on DF can be posted on FB.

2) Everyone can contribute; it's not just limited to selective regulars.

3) People who are abusive can still be banned by a mod of some kind.

4) It's unlikely that a mod can be abusive, whereas on John's other DDO image board (which failed miserably... shocking), he and others were able to post offensive material about other site users for no reason at all *ahem*

5) Almost everybody already uses FB anyway, and...

6) IT'S FREE

I think this is the best possible idea, and the best possible way to eliminate any "regulars" from thinking that they're god's fu<king grace to DDO. Give me a break. We all love this site and we should all have the equal opportunity to contribute and access certain features, etc. Otherwise the new site might be 'privately' run but once again be visited by said few members... and then, what's the point?
President of DDO
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:26:21 AM
At 7/16/2009 9:16:06 AM, theLwerd wrote:
So, I advocate that the "other" place for DDO should just be the new Facebook group...

I hear your concerns, but Facebook isn't the way to go through this. A website created by DDO members, for DDO members is much more appealing. There isn't anything saying that we can't open up the website to more contributors as well.

Besides, the reason people didn't use DF that much as because no one knew about it. There wasn't enough advertisement, and the same thing would happen with any Facebook group as well. Plus, not everyone uses Facebook or wants to - I just found out today that Facebook violates several privacy laws in my country.

A simple talk-and-contribute website with simple registration and simple methods for posting and connecting is what we want.

JBlake posted:
It sounds like Volkov is interested?

I am slightly. I could probably find a cheap host and I would set up an easy Drupal website - but I'm more interested in flexing my journalistic muscles than web hosting. It all depends how this works out, to be honest.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:29:56 AM
I hear you, Volkov.

DF was very unappealing to me for several reasons, but I'm open to new suggestions and ideas. But hey, could you mind expanding on why a site by DDO members for DDO members is so appealing? I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm just opening up a discussion.
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2009 9:37:43 AM
There is nothing that says a site has to be limited to only "regulars". In fact, PoeJoe would let anyone contribute that had the desire. It's just that he didn't inform people of this, so people didn't know they could contribute.

The facebook idea is good, but lacks some features that might be useful (storage of a dictionary, &ct.).