Jump to topic:

innomen as juror

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:44:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No, not for 16K, but in real life. I had jury duty today and was chosen to be on a jury for a trial that will go for a week and a half. I will check the reports here everyday, but other than that my time will be tight. If anyone needs anything ping me with a PM and I'll respond.

I have mixed feelings about this, on the one hand it's incredibly inconvenient, and on the other hand it's pretty interesting.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:53:38 PM
If you think it your civic duty, go to trial. If not, just act like a bigot and they'll have to get rid of you under the pretense that you're unduly biased.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:56:09 PM
UGH I just got a letter in the mail to do jury duty >_<

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to be at court at 7:30 in the morning..

I hope I get a half decent trial.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:57:44 PM
Hopefully, you will have a flexibility of mind and understand how to be objective in the face of the tactics of both the prosecution and defense.:)

And good luck as a juror.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:57:57 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:53:38 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
If you think it your civic duty, go to trial. If not, just act like a bigot and they'll have to get rid of you under the pretense that you're unduly biased.

He was already selected to be a juror on trial. He already went through the interview-esque thingy.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:59:14 PM
I've always wanted to be that one @sshole juror who is the one holdout contrary what everyone else thinks. http://myfacewhen.com...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 4:59:35 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:44:00 PM, innomen wrote:
No, not for 16K, but in real life. I had jury duty today and was chosen to be on a jury for a trial that will go for a week and a half. I will check the reports here everyday, but other than that my time will be tight. If anyone needs anything ping me with a PM and I'll respond.

I have mixed feelings about this, on the one hand it's incredibly inconvenient, and on the other hand it's pretty interesting.

what kind of questions did they ask you to decide whether or not you were fit to be in the jury?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:01:37 PM
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:07:32 PM
At 3/19/2012 5:01:37 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:09:49 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:59:35 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

what kind of questions did they ask you to decide whether or not you were fit to be in the jury?

The questions were not of a nature that would make me less eligible. Has anyone close to you or in your immediate family suffered from a heart attack, stuff like that.

It took a long time for them to get to 14 people.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:12:24 PM
At 3/19/2012 5:09:49 PM, innomen wrote:

The questions were not of a nature that would make me less eligible. Has anyone close to you or in your immediate family suffered from a heart attack, stuff like that.

A jury has 12 I thought?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:25:19 PM
Don't forget, Jury Nullification is usually an option. Don't know if it'll be useful but more juries need to use it.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:30:01 PM
A good one to get you off jury duty:

"I don't recognize the post-civil war constitution as legitimate. The bill of rights weren't meant to apply to states!"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:30:31 PM
At 3/19/2012 5:12:24 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 3/19/2012 5:09:49 PM, innomen wrote:

A jury has 12 I thought?

Nah, it depends on the trial and the court.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 5:51:24 PM
I'd make a bad juror because I'd just aquit pretty much anyone.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:28:44 PM
At 3/19/2012 6:16:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Claim that you are against the death penalty.

The prosecution will refuse to select you.

For some reason I don't believe that innomen will be getting a murder trial, and if he does, mass. doesn't have a death penalty :/.
Open borders debate:
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 6:50:04 PM
At 3/19/2012 6:28:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/19/2012 6:16:14 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Claim that you are against the death penalty.

The prosecution will refuse to select you.

For some reason I don't believe that innomen will be getting a murder trial, and if he does, mass. doesn't have a death penalty :/.

Your going to be on the jury for a jaywalker.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2012 9:10:26 PM
At 3/19/2012 4:59:14 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I've always wanted to be that one @sshole juror who is the one holdout contrary what everyone else thinks. http://myfacewhen.com...

You could reenact 12 Angry Men
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 12:08:56 AM
I have been summoned to jury duty more than twenty times. I've lost track of the exact count. I've only actually served on a jury once, and I've been questioned or brought into the selection process about six or eight times. Even in the jury waiting room, I have never met anyone who has been called even ten times. I assume that the compute program that selects people has a bug that produces my name every year. I complain, of course, but they are the government and I'm not.

The most interesting question I've ever been asked by a lawyer is, "If a person killed someone with a pipe and/or a knife, would you be inclined to give him the death penalty?" I said I couldn't tell without hearing the circumstances, because it might have been self defense or something. What else could anyone answer?

I discovered over the years that engineers are very rarely selected to serve. Neither are teachers. I think engineers figure things out and teachers have already heard every baloney story imaginable. But I don't really know why.

Based upon observation, the most sought after jurors are unemployed housewives with prior convictions for drug use.

What impressed me the most is the acting ability of ordinary people as they make up stories to get out of being selected. One guy told a rambling barely coherent story about ow he could never find another person guilty of anything, because he just couldn't judge anyone. The lawyers and the judge shock their heads and let the obvious mental case go. However, he was returned to the jury pool and was interviewed for another case, before different lawyers and a different judge. I was there again. This time his rambling barely coherent story was that the police arrested somebody, the person must be guilty. I pointed out the flip-flop to the guy next to me, who told me that the incoherent juror was actually perfectly normal when chatting in the hallway. He was putting on a acting tour de force.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 12:26:13 AM
At 3/19/2012 4:59:14 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

That was me. I was a juror on a murder trial last year. We deliberated for 6 days, about 3 of them because I disagreed with everyone else on the second count. Eventually I gave in based on a technicality of the judge's instructions, but I still think I was right.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 1:31:06 AM

Oh, Innoman, you should pretend to be an incredibly anti-gay bigot who's openly gay. That'l make them scratch their heads.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2012 1:54:47 PM
At 3/21/2012 1:31:06 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Oh, Innoman, you should pretend to be an incredibly anti-gay bigot who's openly gay. That'l make them scratch their heads.

LOL that would be funny as sh*t!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015