Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:10:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 9:56:08 AM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
So, just curious:

How did you find out about DDO, and what made you join and stay?

Stumbleupon app on my phone. A debate came up, I think it was one of Zaradi's debates and I thought this website was about the coolest thing since sliced bread. I joined because of that, I stayed because of how much knowledge i have acquired on here(through researching for my own debates/reading others. Also the people here are generally nice people and wont act unkindly unless provoked into doing so...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:12:30 AM
I was trying to do research for the Felons Voting LD topic (my very first topic) and stumbled across a debate on this website.

I was not particularly impressed (most of the LD debates on the site are not high-caliber and are usually done by debaters who are fishing for cases), but I did return to snag a fake case that I used at practice that year (I did not trust my coach at the time and I did not want to give out my real arguments).

After that, I forgot about DDO for two years. I was bored during the summer, so I joined with the account "lddebater540". I was frustrated because nobody took one of my cases seriously, so I left the site.

I returned in December with this account and deactivated the previous one. Now I am hooked to DDO; I have might a plethora of high-caliber debaters, like Raisor, who can demolish me easily.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:16:09 AM
At 3/24/2012 10:12:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I was trying to do research for the Felons Voting LD topic (my very first topic) and stumbled across a debate on this website.

I was not particularly impressed (most of the LD debates on the site are not high-caliber and are usually done by debaters who are fishing for cases), but I did return to snag a fake case that I used at practice that year (I did not trust my coach at the time and I did not want to give out my real arguments).

After that, I forgot about DDO for two years. I was bored during the summer, so I joined with the account "lddebater540". I was frustrated because nobody took one of my cases seriously, so I left the site.

I returned in December with this account and deactivated the previous one. Now I am hooked to DDO; I have might a plethora of high-caliber debaters, like Raisor, who can demolish me easily.

lol the two times ive debated zaradi(one of them
is presently happening) I've been demolished. This website for me is also great for political discussion. Yeah some flame wars, but most of the time its reasoned discourse, which is great.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:17:09 AM
I found a debate on the Negative income tax, and I decided to join because I was interested in politics. Not much else to say, although I was much worse at debating when I joined.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:21:13 AM
I was researching for "NATO Presence improves the lives of Afghan citizens". Found a debate on it, wonder why in the name of God anyone would want to debate online. Then, around May when debate was all over and I still wanted to debate, I decided to give this site a try and found out it's a lot better than I expected.

However, real life debates consistently excite me more than online ones by a huge margin.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:48:00 AM
I was looking for a place to discuss and debate philosophy, politics, etc. online. I found this site by finding a debate between either Cody or Freedman and Contradiction on gay marriage. I joined 10 minutes later.

It's interesting that I joined for debate, but now, like much of the DDO populace, I'm more of a forum whore than a debater.

But yeah--this site has been absolutely splendid. It's not often that you find EXACTLY what you were looking for. And that's what I've found here. *cue that sappy Full House speech music*
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:59:13 AM
I was looking for information on bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and I found a debate here. This site had a lot of high quality stuff, and I joined a few minutes later.
PartamRuhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 11:06:47 AM
At 3/24/2012 10:21:13 AM, thett3 wrote:
I was researching for "NATO Presence improves the lives of Afghan citizens". Found a debate on it, wonder why in the name of God anyone would want to debate online. Then, around May when debate was all over and I still wanted to debate, I decided to give this site a try and found out it's a lot better than I expected.

However, real life debates consistently excite me more than online ones by a huge margin.

Your reason is synonymous with mine! I remember that topic clearly...I went 3-0 in that months tournament. Yeah, my argument was bombing. Anyway, it was a different Public Forum topic that got me interested in DDO. I was searching the topic on the web, hopelessly trying to come up with something before the deadline, and found some arguments on here.

So I signed up, but didn't care too much for the actual debating on this site; I just thought it was a goldmine of pre-constructed arguments. Exactly like you state though, soon as debating season was over and I graduated, I was like..."I need more...."

So I started debating on here and had to really change the way I did arguments for this site. Sourcing was the main thing.

Anyway, debating in real life is so much more exciting, like you said. I would always stare down my opponent and constantly be furiously writing, even if what he was saying wasn't important. Like, I would start writing as soon as he would say "My partner and I affirm the resolution" and I'm all over the place, pointing at things to my partner and what not.

But yeah, then mafia and other debates and the forums just kept me close. My girlfriend hates this site because of the time I dump in, but what does she know
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 12:31:54 PM
Found this site while writing a paper for online sites that were very organized and allowed for the exchange of ideas...... 5 months later i became addicted and now am in the top 5 overall.... And I dont plan on leaving anytime soon
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 12:58:06 PM

That's the same topic I was researching when I found this site originally.

I used a case from DDO on my first LD tournament and ended up winning first place in the Novice devision with it lol. Which is what made me decide to come here for more cases. Eventually I found the forums and became interested.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 1:01:37 PM
I was doing research on Nuclear weapons and treaties and whether the Nuclear Non Proliferation treaty is fair. I stumbled upon an old debate between Mirza and a noob/troll. It was one-sided but informative. I made an account, accepted a few open debates and finally did end up debating quarterexchange on the topic I wanted. Since then I got hooked with debating and later mafia. I don't debate a lot now due to lack of time for research but I am going to get back into debating soon when my schedule clears a bit.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 1:30:51 PM
At 3/24/2012 1:01:37 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I was doing research on Nuclear weapons and treaties and whether the Nuclear Non Proliferation treaty is fair. I stumbled upon an old debate between Mirza and a noob/troll. It was one-sided but informative. I made an account, accepted a few open debates and finally did end up debating quarterexchange on the topic I wanted. Since then I got hooked with debating and later mafia. I don't debate a lot now due to lack of time for research but I am going to get back into debating soon when my schedule clears a bit.

Mafia is a drug..
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 1:33:59 PM
At 3/24/2012 12:58:06 PM, TUF wrote:

I used a case from DDO on my first LD tournament and ended up winning first place in the Novice devision with it lol. Which is what made me decide to come here for more cases. Eventually I found the forums and became interested.

LOL, nice. There is no Novice Division in my District . . .
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 1:41:40 PM
At 3/24/2012 1:33:59 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Seriously? So they throw you in with the big sharks on your very first tournanment ay? I don't think that's fair. Novice tournaments are more helpful to debate noobs because:
1. You have a better chance of winning against someone else who is new to debate as well. Winning rounds is what gains confidence in a debater and makes them want to debate more.

2. It helps you get practice. If you are brutalized by an expert debater round 1 and still have no clue what he was talking about, then you have essentially learned nothing, and will just come out of the round miserable and pissed off at debate.

That seriously sucks... Did you do pretty good in your time at high school LD?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 1:45:19 PM
At 3/24/2012 1:41:40 PM, TUF wrote:
At 3/24/2012 1:33:59 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Seriously? So they throw you in with the big sharks on your very first tournanment ay? I don't think that's fair. Novice tournaments are more helpful to debate noobs because:
1. You have a better chance of winning against someone else who is new to debate as well. Winning rounds is what gains confidence in a debater and makes them want to debate more.

2. It helps you get practice. If you are brutalized by an expert debater round 1 and still have no clue what he was talking about, then you have essentially learned nothing, and will just come out of the round miserable and pissed off at debate.

That seriously sucks... Did you do pretty good in your time at high school LD?

I learned quickly. The best debater in the state was at my team captain and he decided to make his personal trainee. Plus, I dedicated a lot of time to the activity.

My first tournament was a dud (1-3).

My second tournament was a tri-district tournament. I prepared a lot for that tourney and managed to break to Octofinals (I was sixteenth seed). I hit my captain and got demolished.

My third tournament I placed Fourth. I went 4-0.

After that, I started placing consistently. I was probably like the third best debater in the state by my Junior or Senior year.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 2:05:39 PM
At 3/24/2012 1:45:19 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I learned quickly. The best debater in the state was at my team captain and he decided to make his personal trainee. Plus, I dedicated a lot of time to the activity.

My second tournament was a tri-district tournament. I prepared a lot for that tourney and managed to break to Octofinals (I was sixteenth seed). I hit my captain and got demolished.

After that, I started placing consistently. I was probably like the third best debater in the state by my Junior or Senior year.

1: They let you debate your own teamates???

2: You guys only did the national circuit, no local tournaments?

3: Good job at the great win record. Did you stay with LD, or did you do another event?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 2:10:41 PM
At 3/24/2012 2:05:39 PM, TUF wrote:

Yup. It was my coach's decision to not make me automatically drop the match.

No, we only did local circuit and state circuit tournaments. I competed on the National Circuit like twice.
3: Good job at the great win record. Did you stay with LD, or did you do another event?

Yeah, I stuck with LD.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 2:32:47 PM
At 3/24/2012 2:10:41 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

No, we only did local circuit and state circuit tournaments. I competed on the National Circuit like twice.

Yeah, I stuck with LD.

Did you guys to natcats, or just nats?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 2:41:22 PM
At 3/24/2012 2:32:47 PM, TUF wrote:
At 3/24/2012 2:10:41 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yeah, I stuck with LD.

Did you guys to natcats, or just nats?

Just NFL Nationals.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 2:41:55 PM
Was trying to prep on an LD topic that I had no practice with an that my opponent's would've had a few months of practice on. I was searching for cases to get an idea of what people would be running, and I ran into a debate on it on this site (I think it was between Imabench and someone else), and thought this site was the sh1t. Now, maybe not so much, but it still had some interest with me. Now if only I could find a seriously capable LDer to practice with...that would absolutely make my life.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 4:40:33 PM
At 3/24/2012 2:41:55 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Was trying to prep on an LD topic that I had no practice with an that my opponent's would've had a few months of practice on. I was searching for cases to get an idea of what people would be running, and I ran into a debate on it on this site (I think it was between Imabench and someone else), and thought this site was the sh1t. Now, maybe not so much, but it still had some interest with me. Now if only I could find a seriously capable LDer to practice with...that would absolutely make my life.

I have the same problem with PF.
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Well, How about this one:
Schloop-Schloop-Ping-a-Pang-bong
Which means:
To play a vigorous game of monopoly
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 5:18:37 PM
I looked up debate... yep.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 5:38:36 PM
At 3/24/2012 5:18:37 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Same. Googled "debate"
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:12:21 PM
At 3/24/2012 5:38:36 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 3/24/2012 5:18:37 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Same. Googled "debate"

thirded
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:16:02 PM
At 3/24/2012 9:56:08 AM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
So, just curious:

How did you find out about DDO, and what made you join and stay?

I was looking for a picture to use for another political website (to stick in my comment) about something religious. When I saw the profile picture of someone I went to school with. So I checked it out, it was his profile pic that was grabbed because of a religious debate he was doing. So I signed up and have been here ever since (except when I'm not here).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:49:20 PM
What the hell is LD? It seems like some sort of debate tournament.

We have debate tournaments up here in Canada too, but I've never heard of LD.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:52:29 PM
At 3/24/2012 7:49:20 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:

Lincoln Douglas. I assume it comes from the historic Lincoln Douglas debate over popular sovereignty and the Dred Scott decision, which would explain why it doesn't exist in Canada.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Hardcore.Pwnography
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:56:34 PM
At 3/24/2012 7:52:29 PM, 000ike wrote:

Lincoln Douglas. I assume it comes from the historic Lincoln Douglas debate over popular sovereignty and the Dred Scott decision, which would explain why it doesn't exist in Canada.

Oh that would make sense. Is it a nation wide tournament, or a state wide tournament, or region, or what?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 7:57:41 PM
At 3/24/2012 7:56:34 PM, Hardcore.Pwnography wrote:
At 3/24/2012 7:52:29 PM, 000ike wrote:

Oh that would make sense. Is it a nation wide tournament, or a state wide tournament, or region, or what?

Both. Like CX and PF LD has tournaments at the local level, along with state and nationals.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right