Total Posts:79|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO and your friends/family/lovers IRL

Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 9:45:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do they think of your involvement on DDO? Do they think you're crazy? Do you keep it a secret? Are they indifferent? Do they support you? Are they annoyed by it?

As for me, my boyfriend finds it annoying and everyone else in my life is indifferent. My little brother gets a kick out of inferno though. Who wouldn't?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 9:49:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 9:45:00 PM, Oryus wrote:
What do they think of your involvement on DDO? Do they think you're crazy? Do you keep it a secret? Are they indifferent? Do they support you? Are they annoyed by it?:

Most people don't know about it, and of those that do, don't care.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 9:49:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I dont keep it a secret, but they dont know about it either. It's just never something I've bothered to tell my family about, and God forbid my friends find out...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:00:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.

A damn shame. What really scares me is the anti-intellectualism that is everywhere, even at school. My friend and I did an experiment (we have nearly every class together), she brought "A shore thing" by snooki, and I brought "Democracy: The God that failed" by Hans Hermann Hoppe to school and read them in class/whenever we had time. Without fail, everyone who responded was like "what the hell" when they saw what I was reading, and like "OMG! Let me see it!" to her selection.

Sickening.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:04:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My girlfriend hates me for it because she thinks I spend more time on here than I do with her. Truth is I moderate them equally, she just fails to see it.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:13:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.

1:5,000?! sad....... but you may very well be right though..... For all that we disagree on, we all have one thing in common:

WE GIVE A SH!T.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:14:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 9:49:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
I dont keep it a secret, but they dont know about it either. It's just never something I've bothered to tell my family about, and God forbid my friends find out...

You're on here a bunch, it seems!

How do they NOT know????
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:14:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My brother makes fun of me for it, my mom encourages it. I try to keep it secret, but fail inevitably.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:16:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:14:05 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/24/2012 9:49:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
I dont keep it a secret, but they dont know about it either. It's just never something I've bothered to tell my family about, and God forbid my friends find out...

You're on here a bunch, it seems!

How do they NOT know????

I'm almost constantly logged on via my phone, but actually not so much. And I have a laptop and they don't look over my shoulder.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:16:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:00:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.

A damn shame. What really scares me is the anti-intellectualism that is everywhere, even at school. My friend and I did an experiment (we have nearly every class together), she brought "A shore thing" by snooki, and I brought "Democracy: The God that failed" by Hans Hermann Hoppe to school and read them in class/whenever we had time. Without fail, everyone who responded was like "what the hell" when they saw what I was reading, and like "OMG! Let me see it!" to her selection.

Sickening.

That is extremely sickening. How old are these people, in general, out of curiosity?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:17:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:16:40 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/24/2012 10:00:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.

A damn shame. What really scares me is the anti-intellectualism that is everywhere, even at school. My friend and I did an experiment (we have nearly every class together), she brought "A shore thing" by snooki, and I brought "Democracy: The God that failed" by Hans Hermann Hoppe to school and read them in class/whenever we had time. Without fail, everyone who responded was like "what the hell" when they saw what I was reading, and like "OMG! Let me see it!" to her selection.

Sickening.

That is extremely sickening. How old are these people, in general, out of curiosity?

I see you're 17? So high-school aged, I assume? Less disheartening than college-aged... but still.....
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:17:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.

This is unfortunately true. I sometimes want to tell people how meaningless some of the things they obsess over, are. But, there's really no way to phrase that without looking like a jerk.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:20:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
God forbid my friends or family find out.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:20:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:17:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/24/2012 10:16:40 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 3/24/2012 10:00:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 3/24/2012 9:53:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
We're a group that actually gives half a f*ck about what's going on in the world, and actively seeks to learn new things to enrich our lives. Most people are vain and vacuous, preferring to fill their meaningless lives with copious amounts of Jersey Shore.

My point is, there's not too many of us out there. If I had to estimate our prevalence, it probably represents 1:5,000 people.

A damn shame. What really scares me is the anti-intellectualism that is everywhere, even at school. My friend and I did an experiment (we have nearly every class together), she brought "A shore thing" by snooki, and I brought "Democracy: The God that failed" by Hans Hermann Hoppe to school and read them in class/whenever we had time. Without fail, everyone who responded was like "what the hell" when they saw what I was reading, and like "OMG! Let me see it!" to her selection.

Sickening.

That is extremely sickening. How old are these people, in general, out of curiosity?

I see you're 17? So high-school aged, I assume? Less disheartening than college-aged... but still.....

Yeah Juniors and Sophomores in highschool.

But worse: My school is almost entirely upper class and elitist, yet they're still such idiots...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:20:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:20:31 PM, phantom wrote:
God forbid my friends or family find out.

Depends on friends actually
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:21:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Anti-intellectualism, as well as tendencies to assume on one's own state of knowledge and of others are common in the people I know and often see everyday.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:22:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
gf's and family kinda expect my desire to debate, and write stuff in the forums, and consider it just a natural manifestation of my interests.. but lately I've started to play some of the games in the forums and I think my romantic partners, friends, and co-workers think i spend too much time doing that
Debate.org Moderator
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:22:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:21:56 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Anti-intellectualism, as well as tendencies to assume on one's own state of knowledge and of others, is common in the people I know and often see everyday. A pity to say the least...

Fixed.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:25:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Family and girlfriend know and are not bothered by it...
They resent my argumentative skills though. :P
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:29:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
A damn shame. What really scares me is the anti-intellectualism that is everywhere, even at school. My friend and I did an experiment (we have nearly every class together), she brought "A shore thing" by snooki, and I brought "Democracy: The God that failed" by Hans Hermann Hoppe to school and read them in class/whenever we had time. Without fail, everyone who responded was like "what the hell" when they saw what I was reading, and like "OMG! Let me see it!" to her selection.

Sickening.:

There's a disease in human beings which is preyed upon by various sorts of entertainment. What keeps peoples lives interesting (at least in their minds) is conflict. Shows like Jerry Springer take the worst of human behavior and put it on display, as if we're looking inside a test tube. People are both masochists and sadists. The largest factor is conflict, and not too much conflict resolution.

People will either seek out drama or create it when there is none. For some reason this makes us feel normal when any sensible thought would tell us this extremely self-destructive behavior.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:29:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's not really a secret, yet no one knows because no one asks xD
But if my debate team were to find out....-shudder-
It wouldn't be pretty.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:33:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:29:57 PM, Zaradi wrote:
It's not really a secret, yet no one knows because no one asks xD
But if my debate team were to find out....-shudder-
It wouldn't be pretty.

This.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:34:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I only get on in secret, that way I can stare at the screen with my pants off. Once my mom walked in on me once I clicked "accept challenge." I exited the site and switched to porn instead. Hopefully she didn't see debate.org, but I sometime get embarrased whenever I'm around her and we start debating.
kfc
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:34:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:29:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
A damn shame. What really scares me is the anti-intellectualism that is everywhere, even at school. My friend and I did an experiment (we have nearly every class together), she brought "A shore thing" by snooki, and I brought "Democracy: The God that failed" by Hans Hermann Hoppe to school and read them in class/whenever we had time. Without fail, everyone who responded was like "what the hell" when they saw what I was reading, and like "OMG! Let me see it!" to her selection.

Sickening.:

There's a disease in human beings which is preyed upon by various sorts of entertainment. What keeps peoples lives interesting (at least in their minds) is conflict. Shows like Jerry Springer take the worst of human behavior and put it on display, as if we're looking inside a test tube. People are both masochists and sadists. The largest factor is conflict, and not too much conflict resolution.

People will either seek out drama or create it when there is none. For some reason this makes us feel normal when any sensible thought would tell us this extremely self-destructive behavior.

It's sad but I think you're correct. But man, just think what we could accomplish if you werent....
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:41:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My friends don't care about politics, but they think that it is cool that I debate online about politics and such.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:48:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've kept it secret... a coworker caught me on it at work and I explained what it was but claimed I just read the debates without having actually joined. My sisters think it's lame.

I hid it from my ex... if we were hanging out and doing separate things (like if he was cooking, and I was just sitting in the living room) I'd go on DDO on my phone. But then I'd exit real quickly if he came over, and he was really suspicous of that. I guess I'd rather he thought I was cheating on him than admit I came on here lol

I lie about it because I know my anti-religious views would make me very unpopular and it would be less fun on here if I had to censor what I say (the point of coming on here is to not have to do that)...
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 10:59:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:48:51 PM, nonentity wrote:
I've kept it secret... a coworker caught me on it at work and I explained what it was but claimed I just read the debates without having actually joined. My sisters think it's lame.

I hid it from my ex... if we were hanging out and doing separate things (like if he was cooking, and I was just sitting in the living room) I'd go on DDO on my phone. But then I'd exit real quickly if he came over, and he was really suspicous of that. I guess I'd rather he thought I was cheating on him than admit I came on here lol

I lie about it because I know my anti-religious views would make me very unpopular and it would be less fun on here if I had to censor what I say (the point of coming on here is to not have to do that)...

3 things...
1. You should just have just said you were looking at porn, like Koopin. ;)

2. You're awesome for commenting on my thread :D

And 3. I see you comment a lot about how the people closest to you are not supportive at all of your atheism. I'm very honestly sorry to hear that. I hope you find support irl from people near you. That is a very discouraging thing- I can't imagine it at all. I very often take for granted that the people I love accept that I do not believe in god and love me anyway. Many of them have been religious all their lives but they don't judge me at all or hold it against me. It makes me love them more. <3
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2012 11:03:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/24/2012 10:34:32 PM, Koopin wrote:
Well, I only get on in secret, that way I can stare at the screen with my pants off. Once my mom walked in on me once I clicked "accept challenge." I exited the site and switched to porn instead. Hopefully she didn't see debate.org, but I sometime get embarrased whenever I'm around her and we start debating.

I can't believe you get on in secret!!!!!
You of all people!

You're one of the few people I've seen on this site who have posted numerous DDO related youtube videos.

I admire the people who post videos of themselves which are DDO-related. In fact, I admire people who put pictures of their real selves as their avi.

I just don't think I'll ever do that. You got guts kid. *takes a drag of a cigarette* You got guts.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.