Jump to topic:

Forum Moderation

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:30:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I may just be addressing the elephant in the room, the one that has probably been addressed before, but this site has a distinct lack of moderation on the forums.

I've seen people banned for unsavoury debates, and the occasional troll is kicked off as well, but there is a few members that I know has had at least ten reports against him within the past day alone, yet he is still here.

There are no moderators on the forums, and the best way to describe it is respectable anarchy. Why doesn't this site have some user-based moderation!? Is it because there would be no salary? I'm sure several people would do it for free, just to keep order. So what is the reason?!
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:34:54 PM
At 7/8/2009 5:30:49 PM, Volkov wrote:
There are no moderators on the forums, and the best way to describe it is respectable anarchy. Why doesn't this site have some user-based moderation!? Is it because there would be no salary? I'm sure several people would do it for free, just to keep order. So what is the reason?!

I'd be willing to moderate for free, if only for the opportunity to abuse my power and lord over all lesser beings... mhwwahahahahahahahaaa!

Seriously, it's a good idea. Any way to bring it into being?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:38:33 PM
At 7/8/2009 5:34:54 PM, Lifeisgood wrote:
Seriously, it's a good idea. Any way to bring it into being?

Well, I assume the forum or at least site administration has the tiered accounts - that is, you have certain accounts with certain privileges. Administrator account, moderator account, user account. It would be easy to designate certain users as moderators.

If that isn't the case, I'm sure the option can be built into the website. If not, then possibly we could switch forum programs - I have some ennui with some aspects of the forum anyways. It is all up to the administrator of course.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:41:14 PM
Phil has said that he doesn't have the interface built for moderator accounts that making that interface is unfeasible at the current time.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 5:45:10 PM
At 7/8/2009 5:41:14 PM, s0m31john wrote:
Phil has said that he doesn't have the interface built for moderator accounts that making that interface is unfeasible at the current time.

Has he ever entertained the thought of switching forum services?

IPB would probably work well. http://forums.invisionpower.com...

Most common thing out there, but that is because it is efficient.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:00:41 PM
I thought it was, especially because I couldn't find anything similar! Never did check other WebCorp sites though...

If moderation and several other things aren't feasible at this time, if they ever are, I propose giving Phil or whoever will run this site after he sells it a deadline to update the forums or just change it altogether.

Then again, we have zero to bargain with as far as I know. In the immortal words of PoeJoe, "giving up all hope" seems like a way to keep myself sane.
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:33:24 PM
At 7/8/2009 6:00:41 PM, Volkov wrote:
I thought it was, especially because I couldn't find anything similar! Never did check other WebCorp sites though...

If moderation and several other things aren't feasible at this time, if they ever are, I propose giving Phil or whoever will run this site after he sells it a deadline to update the forums or just change it altogether.

Then again, we have zero to bargain with as far as I know. In the immortal words of PoeJoe, "giving up all hope" seems like a way to keep myself sane.

Phil has already said, no updates will come to the site for the next year or so. Ive been begging for P-Mods for ages, still nothing. If I'm correct, this site is in it's Beta phase and on NGs and (I think) 4chan, P-Mods (If they even have any) didnt come until version Delta.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:49:55 PM
Make lots of money.

Pay Phil to implement change.

???

Profit!
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:51:47 PM
If this site actually turned a profit, then the changes would come soon.

That means charging users for certain privileges, as one solution anyways.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:54:10 PM
At 7/8/2009 6:51:47 PM, Volkov wrote:
If this site actually turned a profit, then the changes would come soon.

That means charging users for certain privileges, as one solution anyways.

Forum posting is something I'd pay for.

I'd also pay for some sort of premium membership:
-Bolding capabilities, etc, in debates
-Ability to use all caps
-Accident forgiveness (think All-State)

The third gift would mean not being banned under a suspected double account, etc, without prior PM notification.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 6:54:33 PM
Well Phil also said, this website (when DDC) used to make 5 buck a day, which amounts to nil. So, we can believe no changes soon.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:00:23 PM
At 7/8/2009 6:54:10 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Forum posting is something I'd pay for.

I'd also pay for some sort of premium membership:
-Bolding capabilities, etc, in debates
-Ability to use all caps
-Accident forgiveness (think All-State)

The third gift would mean not being banned under a suspected double account, etc, without prior PM notification.

Agreed. Forum posting I'm not sure about, but seeing as how some people, myself included, like to use the forum more than debating, it may be a good idea.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:11:48 PM
I am not believing what I'm hearing here. I don't want strict moderators and I don't want to be charged for a service that should be free. I should be able to post freely without having to worry about moderators breathing down my neck who could potentially ban me. I, of course, never break any rules, but I don't want this place to turn into a capitalist, big brother, police state. Paying to post in a forum would only turn people away, and paying to bold text is fascism.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:17:21 PM
Well, I just researched the software it would take to make P-Mods possible, and it is actually quite reasonable. I believe easy going and non strict people (like myself) should be picked as P-Mods, if applicable.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:18:34 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:11:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I am not believing what I'm hearing here. I don't want strict moderators and I don't want to be charged for a service that should be free. I should be able to post freely without having to worry about moderators breathing down my neck who could potentially ban me. I, of course, never break any rules, but I don't want this place to turn into a capitalist, big brother, police state. Paying to post in a forum would only turn people away, and paying to bold text is fascism.

I can agree with the very last statement, but nothing else.

The moderators won't necessarily be strict, especially if they're contributing, well-known and respected members. We need someone here though to take care of certain members that disrupt us. Paid services would get that dream a little bit closer, as well as other changes that this site could use.

Only wrong-doers need be worried about the moderators, and since you, yourself, are a respected member of this site, I think you would be fine.

If you could suggest a way to get moderation here without paying for use of the website, I would be more than glad to support it.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:48:31 PM
I am actually enjoying the anarchy of "weak" mods. I wouldn't want forum police.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:51:19 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:48:31 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I am actually enjoying the anarchy of "weak" mods. I wouldn't want forum police.

I wouldn't want over-zealous mods either, just ones that are smart enough to know when someone is being more of a nuisance than a contributor.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:53:49 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:51:19 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/8/2009 7:48:31 PM, wjmelements wrote:

I wouldn't want over-zealous mods either, just ones that are smart enough to know when someone is being more of a nuisance than a contributor.

All money is good money. We choose to reply to individuals voluntarily. We choose to read posts voluntarily. Tolerance over censorship.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2009 7:56:41 PM
At 7/8/2009 7:53:49 PM, wjmelements wrote:
All money is good money. We choose to reply to individuals voluntarily. We choose to read posts voluntarily. Tolerance over censorship.

If others could actually follow that, I would agree. Unfortunately, most don't, which creates a major problem. Plus, if moderators are there to control the situation, no one needs to tolerate.

If I choose to pay for such services, I expect services to be delivered.