Jump to topic:

What happened to socialpinko?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 4:44:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
He's deactivated his account http://www.debate.org...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:00:16 PM
At 3/25/2012 4:44:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
He's deactivated his account http://www.debate.org...

cool, well not really. wonder what happened?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:21:07 PM
It's quite a misfortune. Perhaps he wanted to create a new image for himself and refresh himself (just like how rocky deactivated his own account)?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:22:02 PM
spinko is probably just taking a break from DDO. Nothing to be concerned about.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:24:55 PM
He just sent me this message,

"Hey DDO, I'll be back this summer when Koopin is at camp. He challenged me to a debate and I just can't face him. :(
Sorry guys. Have fun."
kfc
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:26:22 PM
At 3/25/2012 5:24:55 PM, Koopin wrote:

"Hey DDO, I'll be back this summer when Koopin is at camp. He challenged me to a debate and I just can't face him. :(
Sorry guys. Have fun."

Fear of humiliation?

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:27:31 PM
G: At 3/25/2012 5:26:22 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 3/25/2012 5:24:55 PM, Koopin wrote:

Sorry guys. Have fun."

Fear of humiliation?

I guess so. I don't see why, he's an awesome debater.
kfc
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 5:34:21 PM
he's left before
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 6:40:14 PM
At 3/25/2012 6:38:32 PM, Mirza wrote:
*Psychic ability on*: His stepfather deactivated his account. *Psychic ability off*

If that is true, I feel rather sorry for socialpinko.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:12:47 PM
Hmmm, I noticed he wasn't very active prior to his closing his account. He's probably just taking a break.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:15:22 PM
waiting for someone to say something along the lines of: "He'll be back. You can't just leave debate.org...."
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:16:09 PM
He'll be back. You can't just leave debate.org....
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:17:16 PM
At 3/25/2012 7:15:22 PM, TUF wrote:
waiting for someone to say something along the lines of: "He'll be back. You can't just leave debate.org...."
We're all too smart to imagine someone "leaving" debate.org.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:33:46 PM
At 3/25/2012 7:12:47 PM, phantom wrote:
Hmmm, I noticed he wasn't very active prior to his closing his account. He's probably just taking a break.

but he was in the middle of a debate. Who "takes a break" in the middle of a debate?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2012 7:34:20 PM
At 3/25/2012 7:16:09 PM, phantom wrote:

No no no, you have it all wrong. You need to italicize leave. Like this:

Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:03:58 PM
At 3/25/2012 7:33:46 PM, 000ike wrote:

but he was in the middle of a debate. Who "takes a break" in the middle of a debate?

Lucky for me... ;)

Nah...I think I could still have beaten him.
Sapere Aude!
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:07:46 PM
I asked. Basically he isn't stimulated or interested by discussion on DDO anymore. We all out grow it in the end. He might be back, but we shouldn't count on it. =(
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:13:53 PM
At 3/26/2012 7:07:46 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I asked. Basically he isn't stimulated or interested by discussion on DDO anymore. We all out grow it in the end. He might be back, but we shouldn't count on it. =(

Poop snacks!
kfc
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 7:22:00 PM
That's too bad. I like him.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 8:03:12 PM

It happens. It will come back though.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 8:14:24 PM
I was keeping up with his debate with Fourtrouble on argumentation ethics. Fourtrouble had a very interesting response to his argument. I'm not so sure I buy that he was disinterested in DDO. Plus, one doesn't deactivate his account because of disinterest. People deactivate to mitigate the temptation to return. If you're already disinterested, then that wouldn't be necessary now would it?
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 8:15:49 PM
What does deactivation mean, exactly?

Can you then reactivate it another time? Or is it a permanent thing?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 8:16:48 PM
At 3/26/2012 8:15:49 PM, Oryus wrote:
What does deactivation mean, exactly?

Can you then reactivate it another time? Or is it a permanent thing?

It means that you close your account so that no one can access it. It can be reopened anytime you want. All you have to do is login :p
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 9:01:38 PM
At 3/25/2012 7:33:46 PM, 000ike wrote:

He's actually done that several times. If you look through some of his earlier debates, you'll see a lot of forfeits.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 9:03:29 PM

The thing, people who do that are after the attention. They want people to see that it is deactivated. Since there is no real difference between deactivated and simply not logging on, except for what everyone else sees.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2012 9:08:08 PM
At 3/26/2012 9:03:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The thing, people who do that are after the attention. They want people to see that it is deactivated. Since there is no real difference between deactivated and simply not logging on, except for what everyone else sees.

I don't know. De-activating it gives a sense of finality, of closure. I know for a fact that if I simply decided not to log on, I will log on again when I next have some free time. I can't just not log on. So, I'd understand if someone wants to deactivate their accounts to avoid the temptation. There is always something interesting about DDO. What drew me in was the debates. What kept me here is the ability to read and vote on them. What I am hooked on right now is playing mafia. There is always something to come back for. No one can just not log on.