Jump to topic:

Theoretical update

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 7:58:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Okay, I know that everyone is about 4 and 1/2 times more skeptical today than on the average days, but this is actually a serious~ish topic.

I've been rattling some ideas in my head about how to tie the forums and debates into each other more. Right now it seems like they are almost two different sites that are only linked by our user profile stats.

***Let me start by saying I don't know if this is even possible, I just want to check if it is desired before presenting it to Juggle***

What if we added an update that created a button on every debate called "create topic". This button would create a thread in the forums (in the category that the debate creator marked). If someone had already created one and you click the button, rather than creating a new, it would take you to the already existing one. Then, at the top of every page, a header would display updates on the debate (new arguments being posted and a link back to the debate).

Also, an option for this (though not required), what if this replaced the comments section of each debate? This would provide a bridge for people who only debate and only post in forums to interact, and hopefully allow people to remember debates that they comment when the debate starts so that they can vote on it when it is over.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 8:32:09 PM
I'm not a big fan of this idea to be honest. It could easily escalate to the forums turning into debate spam. I like how the forums are. The exchange of ideas is fluid, experimental, and engaging, which offsets the structural style of debates and creates a natural buffer between the two. I already don't like when someone posts their arguments into a forum, trying to get voters.

Maybe if there was a separate forum section for this, it wouldn't be so bad. With proper execution, it could be a good thing. But replacing comments section with a forum thread might get confusing/tedious.

I do like that you are trying to brainstorm ways to bridge the gap between the two and think that if we made more small-scale changes it would be not only more practical, but more effective. For instance, say we did something like a "topic of the month." Users would be urged to post forum topics and start debates on that certain issue. We could have a debate discussions where we look at long past, successful debates and talk about the issues in them. IDk... just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 9:05:08 PM
why would we ever want to bridge the gap between debates and forums? On one side we have debate trolls who stay out of the forums, on the other side we have forum trolls who stay out of debates. If the two were to now have easy means to coexist they could evolve into a new kind of super troll that would bring DDO to its knees!!

We under no circumstances should try to tie debates and forums together, trolls will unite and wage war against intelligence and that war cannot be won
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 9:14:37 PM
Even if this were a good idea, I don't think it will happen. That would take work. Juggle is lazy lately lol.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2012 10:18:18 PM
interesting

PRO
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 2:30:25 PM
I can see how it will bridge trolls over easily, and it's simple enough to make posts stating that its about debate X. The man hours can go to something better.

CON
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 2:32:58 PM
At 4/1/2012 8:32:09 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
I'm not a big fan of this idea to be honest. It could easily escalate to the forums turning into debate spam. I like how the forums are. The exchange of ideas is fluid, experimental, and engaging, which offsets the structural style of debates and creates a natural buffer between the two. I already don't like when someone posts their arguments into a forum, trying to get voters.

I agree with this.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2012 6:39:34 PM
At 4/2/2012 2:39:38 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I think this is an awesome idea and can stop people from having flame wars in the comments section.

So they can flood our forums with it?

Comments Flame Wars = Far Less Disruptive Than Forum Flame Wars
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-