Jump to topic:

Debate Removal

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 9:22:18 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have recently finished a debate via Rap Battle with the user untitled_entity. After several days of being posted, it seems that the debate has been entirely removed. I didn't receive notice as to why, though I'm assuming it has something to do with violating the ToS. Presumably the use of profanities may be the cause; however, I think that's total BS.

1) Obviously DDO doesn't allow the use of profanities explicitly, so all of the ones we used were masked via the use of $'s and <'s to form words like bit<hes and hoe$ for example (lol). While that may be seen as cheating the system, I think it's entirely bogus that such a juvenile rule exists anyway (even when using thing$ lik3 th1s to alter the words) AND the fact that people use profanities in such a way in the forums ALL THE DAMN TIME and yet there is no penalty or removal.

2) Our rap battle was done in jest; I think I can speak for my opponent as well when I say that any "insult" issued was not actually a legit attack, but rather a friendly exchange for the sake of debate/battle. This was apparent via our back and forth comments to each other in the Comment Section and on our respective profiles. Neither of us reported any foul play, so what's the problem?

I can say that since being a member of this site, I have received more than a few completely unwarranted attacks, insulting me from everything regarding my looks to my sexuality to my intelligence and beyond. I've been called all sorts of names both publicly and ESPECIALLY via the mask of PM, all of which I completely ignore (with the exception of ONE absolutely heinous comment which I reported to Phil a verrryyy long time ago).

My point is, I think it's disgusting how the "moderators" of this site pick and choose what they will tolerate and what they won't. Apparently a friendly back-and-forth rap battle that contained a few masked profanities was enough to warrant removal, but consistent and unnecessary insults between members is tolerable depending on who's doing the insulting, right? I mean it's okay to post pictures and/or link of regular site users calling them whores in a derogatory way (ahem) but saying "I smoke weed" blah blah blah is inappropriate? Come on.

... So it's okay to call each other fagg0t a$s names like this in forums, or talk about personal things like drug use, but taken to a debate it all of a sudden becomes unacceptable? Give me a break. This situation should have been handled differently, if at all.
President of DDO
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 9:35:49 AM
Yeah, I know what that's like -- a number of months ago, I started a debate about whether god could f-ck himself or not (I was pro, heh), and it was removed hours after someone accepted.

It made no sense, because people say worse all the time -- GodSands can seriously liken atheism to things he considers evil and say other insulting things, but when I make a frivolous debate about god, in the trash it goes.

There's even a debate entitled "the Bible is an Immoral bit Of Utter Crap," which has been completed for a couple months now, roughly. These debates can stay, but mine got deleted...why? I don't see why someone would report mine, but not that debate.

I read this "rap battle," but I didn't see anything that would warrant a deletion...when taken in context, that is. Someone must've just read a few lines, and decided to get all report happy.
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 9:39:26 AM
I don't swear just for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 10:08:03 AM
At 7/14/2009 9:39:26 AM, s0m31john wrote:
I don't swear just for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands.

So of those 250,000-or-so words out there, thousands of which could be used in place of swear words, the ONLY ones you can think to use are swear words? That speaks of a seriously lacking vocabulary/imagination.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:06:26 AM
So of those 250,000-or-so words out there, thousands of which could be used in place of swear words, the ONLY ones you can think to use are swear words? That speaks of a seriously lacking vocabulary/imagination.

Perhaps, but swear words are not only commonly understood, they are humorous in certain contexts given the slight taboo placed on them.

I would hardly see a reason for making swearing an offense, much less deleting a debate over it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:15:57 AM
Patsox, I can imagine a resolution regarding whether or not god could fu<k himself would be more than a little offensive to most people lol. Mayhaps it wasn't the content which was offensive so much as the wording...? Hmm. Also:

Every individual is at once the beneficiary and the victim of the linguistic tradition into which he has been born -- the beneficiary inasmuch as language gives access to the accumulated records of other people's experience, the victim in so far as it confirms him in the belief that reduced awareness is the only awareness and as it bedevils his sense of reality, so that he is all too apt to take his concepts for data, his words for actual things. -- Aldous Huxley in The Doors of Perception: Heaven and Hell , a book I'm reading now about pharmacology and the effects of drugs on consciousness, etc. Basically he's talking about how words are just translators of one's experiences; the problem is that people often live within the confines of these words, ignoring the reality that there are many things for which words do not exist.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:18:41 AM

I would hardly see a reason for making swearing an offense, much less deleting a debate over it.

I believe that it's Phil's site and as such he can do whatever he wants regarding what is and isn't considered offensive. The problem is that it becomes unfair when you allow some people to get away with it in certain situations and not others. My point has been that people use profanities in the forums ALL the time and sometimes in debates as well. Why was OUR debate deleted when it posed no significant offense or threat towards anyone; meanwhile I am constantly harassed and offended on this site and yet it's tolerated. Phuck that. Nazi : )
President of DDO
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:24:48 AM
At 7/14/2009 11:18:41 AM, theLwerd wrote:

I believe that it's Phil's site and as such he can do whatever he wants regarding what is and isn't considered offensive. The problem is that it becomes unfair when you allow some people to get away with it in certain situations and not others. My point has been that people use profanities in the forums ALL the time and sometimes in debates as well. Why was OUR debate deleted when it posed no significant offense or threat towards anyone; meanwhile I am constantly harassed and offended on this site and yet it's tolerated. Phuck that. Nazi : )

Whether it be having a double standard about swear offenses or being against swearing in the first place, it still sucks :P
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 2:01:29 PM
At 7/14/2009 11:15:57 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Patsox, I can imagine a resolution regarding whether or not god could fu<k himself would be more than a little offensive to most people lol. Mayhaps it wasn't the content which was offensive so much as the wording...? Hmm. Also:

Well, I didn't word it exactly like that -- the resolution was "Can God Have Sex With Himself?" Which doesn't seem bad to me at all. Certainly not as "offensive" as the title "the Bible is an Immoral Bit of Utter Crap."
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 3:57:30 PM
I find the totally unwarranted things that have been said about theLwerd in the past far more offensive than a few swear words, which, let's face it are common currency in the average school yard.

I believe in America it is not unknown for kids to bring firearms to school and use them to gun down their teachers or classmates if they irriate them in some way. In such a society, I doubt the use of the occasional unadulterated profanity is likely to corrupt the nation's youth!

Still, I know that many members here are minors and we should all try and not to use violently offensive language for that reason, but in theLwerd's debate, I think a little common sense could have been usefully employed.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2009 7:56:05 AM
I agree with you, Brian. My concern is basically the fact that such profanities run rampant in the forums (as well as direct, personal attacks) but in the context of an obvious jovial debate it was not tolerated. If Phil (or whomever) thinks it's inappropriate to say "I smoke weed" or what have you in a debate because of young readers, why is it then okay to dedicate forum topics explicitly to drug use? And why is it okay to admit drug usage in the forums?

Similarly, my opponent teasing me in a rap battle with the use of profanities was FAR less offensive to me than people promoting links to pictures calling me a whore or even saying such negative things directly to me on this site (consistently, for far over a year now). Again, nothing is ever done about it; not a warning and certainly not removal.

I know the webmaster(s) pay attention to and read these complaints constantly (especially in the DDO forum) and yet not one reply has been issued to me... SHOCKING. All I ask is that someone from DDO grow a pair and answer my question, but obviously that's asking far too much of a small-time site owner. Or mayhaps I should just issue the kinds of insults *I've* gotten on here and see how they respond then : )
President of DDO
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2009 8:51:00 AM
Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me a piece o' dat....
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?