Morality in Politics

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:35:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Resolved: Morality should not be a deciding factor in American politics.

All I want you to do is read through all the rounds, and share your thoughts on the role (or lack thereof) of morality in politics (I don't really care if you comment or vote - that wasn't the purpose of the debate); it's a thought I've been juggling around in my head for a while, and I've decided to see what other people think. Should morality have a place in politics? Should it be excluded? Like I said, just share your thoughts with me on this one.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:41:17 PM
The sentence is incoherent. "Should" already assumes the premise of morality, it can't be disputed in that framework.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2009 11:46:57 PM
At 7/14/2009 11:41:17 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The sentence is incoherent. "Should" already assumes the premise of morality, it can't be disputed in that framework.

Well, one doesn't always have to define should as a moral obligation; I used the phrase 'binding' obligation.

Plus, it's a better idea than saying "It would be a bad idea to allow morality to be a deciding factor in American politics."