Jump to topic:

Discussion thread: potential TOS proposals

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 8:30:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Discuss what you think the content of the Terms of Service should and shouldn't be.

I know I'd have a more clear provision regarding the extent to which we're releasing/signing away our Intellectual property...

Draw up proposals... discuss them :)
Then, when you think it's finished up nice and pretty submit them here:http://www.debate.org...

We'll vote on them later and push for their implementation.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 8:46:03 AM
Actually.. the Property rights bit is pretty clear:
All material you post on Debate.org, including debate arguments, comments, forums, profiles, pictures, and messages becomes the property of Debate.org, and you waive all claims of ownership for said property.

It's just absolutely bogus and unnecessary.

and given the lack of other evident sources of income makes it seem like they're fishing for finding lawsuits if someone publishes something successful in the future.

Now... I'd have this changed to be more reasonable. I'd have it say:

you agree to release to juggle the rights of using/selling All arguments, pictures etc So long as your Username is cited alongside said information... However you also retain the right to use said information in any way you see fit yourself.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 8:48:22 AM
you agree to release to juggle the rights of using/selling All arguments, pictures etc So long as your Username is cited alongside said information... However you also retain the right to use said information in any way you see fit yourself.

I'd have it drawn up so that they can use/sell Everything however they like so long as your username is thrown in there too...

But I would also have it protect your own right to use your ideas in whatever way You see fit.

Metaphysics:
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 9:15:35 AM
At 4/3/2012 8:48:22 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I'd have it drawn up so that they can use/sell Everything however they like so long as your username is thrown in there too...

But I would also have it protect your own right to use your ideas in whatever way You see fit.

+1 however any selling of material should require permission from both parties imo.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2012 11:07:26 AM
At 4/3/2012 9:15:35 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 4/3/2012 8:48:22 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

+1 however any selling of material should require permission from both parties imo.

well.. I understand they'd like to make money and if they want to use my words or sell the ability to use my words I'm ok with that so long as they're attributed to me.

However I'd like to have the right to use my words too!

Metaphysics: