Total Posts:50|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Farewell

KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 12:59:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I'm not sure who will notice me gone (if anyone), but I've decided to leave this site for good. I'm tired of all the biased voters. I try my very best to vote on peoples' debates as fairly as possible, but I am not afforded the same respect on my debates.

So I'm out of here. I'll reserve my debating for off-line.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 1:03:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 12:59:49 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
Well, I'm not sure who will notice me gone (if anyone), but I've decided to leave this site for good. I'm tired of all the biased voters. I try my very best to vote on peoples' debates as fairly as possible, but I am not afforded the same respect on my debates.

So I'm out of here. I'll reserve my debating for off-line.

Your keytar skills shall be missed.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 1:41:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 1:03:52 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 4/4/2012 12:59:49 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
Well, I'm not sure who will notice me gone (if anyone), but I've decided to leave this site for good. I'm tired of all the biased voters. I try my very best to vote on peoples' debates as fairly as possible, but I am not afforded the same respect on my debates.

So I'm out of here. I'll reserve my debating for off-line.

Your keytar skills shall be missed.

+1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 2:17:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't blame you. People don't vote against their beliefs. They just don't.

I challenge everyone (including the OP, if he's still around) to revisit their past votes and see how many times they have voted against the side supporting their beliefs for hot-button issues (e.g. abortion, religion). I can guarantee that for the vast majority of users, the only instances in which they have done so involve forfeits.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 2:52:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 2:17:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't blame you. People don't vote against their beliefs. They just don't.

I challenge everyone (including the OP, if he's still around) to revisit their past votes and see how many times they have voted against the side supporting their beliefs for hot-button issues (e.g. abortion, religion). I can guarantee that for the vast majority of users, the only instances in which they have done so involve forfeits.

But see, that's just it. I vote against my beliefs if the opposition truly had better arguments. I'm pro-life, and I can think of, off the top of my head, two abortion debates I voted on where I gave arguments to the pro-choice side because they simply had better arguments. There are good arguments out there that could have refuted the pro-choicers arguments, but the pro-lifer didn't make them. I don't vote based on how I would have argued, I vote based on the arguments and rebuttals presented.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 3:18:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 2:17:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't blame you. People don't vote against their beliefs. They just don't.

I challenge everyone (including the OP, if he's still around) to revisit their past votes and see how many times they have voted against the side supporting their beliefs for hot-button issues (e.g. abortion, religion). I can guarantee that for the vast majority of users, the only instances in which they have done so involve forfeits.

I think part of the reason for this is because in issues like say Abortion, the arguments FOR Abortion don't make as much sense to a right-wing person, as ones against it do.

But, that's just me.

And, for the record, I have voted against my beliefs, just I vote more so for them.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 3:54:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 12:59:49 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
Well, I'm not sure who will notice me gone (if anyone), but I've decided to leave this site for good. I'm tired of all the biased voters. I try my very best to vote on peoples' debates as fairly as possible, but I am not afforded the same respect on my debates.

So I'm out of here. I'll reserve my debating for off-line.
I totally understand you from your PoV. I had the same issues with idiotic voting. My first debate was with Danielle, I lost due to votebombs. Then I had several religious debates that I won without any doubt, but people couldn't refrain from voting for their own beliefs, which resulted in voting for my opponents.

I don't think there's much to do about it.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 4:09:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 2:17:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't blame you. People don't vote against their beliefs. They just don't.

I challenge everyone (including the OP, if he's still around) to revisit their past votes and see how many times they have voted against the side supporting their beliefs for hot-button issues (e.g. abortion, religion). I can guarantee that for the vast majority of users, the only instances in which they have done so involve forfeits.

Ok, Hot topic? Here are a few.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

I don't mind voting against my beliefs at all, and I'm not sure why so many people are so bias in their voting.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 4:11:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Also keytar, you'll definately be missed.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 5:55:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 2:17:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I don't blame you. People don't vote against their beliefs. They just don't.

I challenge everyone (including the OP, if he's still around) to revisit their past votes and see how many times they have voted against the side supporting their beliefs for hot-button issues (e.g. abortion, religion). I can guarantee that for the vast majority of users, the only instances in which they have done so involve forfeits.

I don't vote based on what I believe; I vote based on the arguments put forward. My vote doesn't say that I agree with one side or the other, it indicates the side I think made better arguments, backed up their points, used consistent logic, and behaved civilly. If I want to say, "Con, you are completely wrong," there's the comments section and the "agreed with before/after" section.

So, I find myself voting against the side I agree with quite a lot. I agree that this attitude towards voting is rare, but there are those of us who do it. I'm hardly the only one.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:06:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just looking through my first few pages, I found two debates on abortion that I voted against my personal stand. I would post others but I didn't think forfeited debates would count. I've voted on a lot of debates and didn't go through them all.

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:12:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a pity indeed. Perhaps you can contribute to the forums more instead if you feel the voting standards of this site is sub-par.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:23:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:12:01 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
This is a pity indeed. Perhaps you can contribute to the forums more instead if you feel the voting standards of this site is sub-par.

I may do that. I don't want to stop debating, it's just disheartening to put all that work into a debate and A) Very few people read it, and B) I lost the debate because people can't bring themselves to vote against their views if the arguments are strong enough.

I really don't mind losing, as long as I lose fair and square.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:26:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

By evaluating your performance and seeing what you did wrong. The great thing is that you can just re-read your arguments t see their weaknesses. I don't know what debate you're taking about, nor do I want to, but I can assure that the judging is infinitely worst in face to face debate than it is here.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.
Debate.org Moderator
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:28:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

Seems like your problem would be solved if we had an unrated debate feature.

As in, either people cant vote (though this would discourage views) or they can vote but the results doesnt record on your profile.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:30:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.
If you want to just post arguments on random stuff (less formal...), create debate.com is cool. Everyone's probably gonna hate me for saying that, but I like that site, too. It's pretty different. They will be getting 1 on 1 debate functionality soon. Maybe the voting will be better there.

Now crucify me... ;)
Sapere Aude!
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:24:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.

No, its not.

On here, because the flood of non-debate accounts, if you win even one, your in the 89th percentile.

Point is, don't give a frig about wins, or loses.

Give a frig about if YOU think you did a good argument, and examine your argument to see if there are flaws.

If your not willing to focus on actual skill over percentage, then yes, you should go.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:25:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:24:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.

No, its not.

On here, because the flood of non-debate accounts, if you win even one, your in the 89th percentile.

Point is, don't give a frig about wins, or loses.

Give a frig about if YOU think you did a good argument, and examine your argument to see if there are flaws.

If your not willing to focus on actual skill over percentage, then yes, you should go.

At the end of the day, however, people will be examining percentage if they wish to determine how skilled you are.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 9:28:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:25:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:24:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.

No, its not.

On here, because the flood of non-debate accounts, if you win even one, your in the 89th percentile.

Point is, don't give a frig about wins, or loses.

Give a frig about if YOU think you did a good argument, and examine your argument to see if there are flaws.

If your not willing to focus on actual skill over percentage, then yes, you should go.

At the end of the day, however, people will be examining percentage if they wish to determine how skilled you are.

You do realize the percentage on here is screwed up, don't you?

And, who cares about percentage. I don't. I don't think there is a person on here who measurers the debater by the percentage.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 1:59:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:25:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:24:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.

No, its not.

On here, because the flood of non-debate accounts, if you win even one, your in the 89th percentile.

Point is, don't give a frig about wins, or loses.

Give a frig about if YOU think you did a good argument, and examine your argument to see if there are flaws.

If your not willing to focus on actual skill over percentage, then yes, you should go.

At the end of the day, however, people will be examining percentage if they wish to determine how skilled you are.

Royal, if people are looking at percentages to determine members debate skill on this site, they are making a mistake.

For example,

I have a 70.59 win percentage
You have a 70.37

I know for a fact that you are a better debater than I am, and I know this because I have read your debates.

Other people should make their determinations in the same way, and not give any credence to these mostly arbitrary statistics.
Debate.org Moderator
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 8:17:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/4/2012 9:28:35 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:25:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:24:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.

No, its not.

On here, because the flood of non-debate accounts, if you win even one, your in the 89th percentile.

Point is, don't give a frig about wins, or loses.

Give a frig about if YOU think you did a good argument, and examine your argument to see if there are flaws.

If your not willing to focus on actual skill over percentage, then yes, you should go.

At the end of the day, however, people will be examining percentage if they wish to determine how skilled you are.

You do realize the percentage on here is screwed up, don't you?

And, who cares about percentage. I don't. I don't think there is a person on here who measurers the debater by the percentage.

I already said I once debated someone who wouldn't debate anyone with a lower percentage than they had. So yes, some people care about it.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 8:21:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 1:59:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:25:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:24:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 4/4/2012 9:21:20 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:28:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:24:28 PM, KeytarHero wrote:
At 4/4/2012 7:14:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
You'll never find a better debating site than this. I guarantee it.

I agree. I think the concept of this site is brilliant. I was hoping to use it to increase my own skills as a debater (and I believe I have gotten better since I started), but it's impossible to know how I can improve if people vote against me due to their bias, not because of the arguments presented.

The most important part of the debate is the debate itself.. there are a lot of good members on this site that provide fair and detailed RFD's.. I think you are putting too much into 'winning and losing'... If you want feedback, many members here would be willing to provide you with some.

Yeah, but the thing is the site keeps track of your win record and your percentage. This matters to some people (I once did a debate with someone who wouldn't debate anyone who was lower than his percentile). Your win ratio and percentile, as far as I can tell, should be an indicator of how well your opponent will be able to debate you.

No, its not.

On here, because the flood of non-debate accounts, if you win even one, your in the 89th percentile.

Point is, don't give a frig about wins, or loses.

Give a frig about if YOU think you did a good argument, and examine your argument to see if there are flaws.

If your not willing to focus on actual skill over percentage, then yes, you should go.

At the end of the day, however, people will be examining percentage if they wish to determine how skilled you are.


Royal, if people are looking at percentages to determine members debate skill on this site, they are making a mistake.

For example,

I have a 70.59 win percentage
You have a 70.37

I know for a fact that you are a better debater than I am, and I know this because I have read your debates.

Other people should make their determinations in the same way, and not give any credence to these mostly arbitrary statistics.

I am not saying that it is a good thing to do, but people definitely use percentages to determine the skill level of specific debaters.
KeytarHero
Posts: 612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 8:21:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've actually had quite a few people ask me to stay. I actually didn't realize anyone would hate to see me go. If the percentage is really that screwed up, as you say, I guess I'll stick around and stop caring about keeping my percentage up.

I'm just not sure I see the point of debating here if you don't care about winning or losing debates. You can go onto any forum and debate with others about worrying about whether you win or lose the debate.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2012 8:25:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 4/5/2012 8:21:55 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
I've actually had quite a few people ask me to stay. I actually didn't realize anyone would hate to see me go. If the percentage is really that screwed up, as you say, I guess I'll stick around and stop caring about keeping my percentage up.

I'm just not sure I see the point of debating here if you don't care about winning or losing debates. You can go onto any forum and debate with others about worrying about whether you win or lose the debate.

The truth shines through.

I think we need some DDO Love-Love rating or something, so people can stop making these threads once a week.