Jump to topic:

Spam v Trolling

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 3:40:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm just curious, to those who think "trolling" should never be a basis for banning, why do you have a problem with forum spamming?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 3:43:29 PM
Define forum spamming.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 3:49:47 PM
Forum Spamming - spamming that does not take place via direct messaging but instead is placed somewhere in the forums section.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 3:57:00 PM
Because when I think of trolling, I think of stupid sounding posts. When I think of spam, I think advertising, or posting the same thing multiple times.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 4:14:46 PM
At 4/4/2012 3:57:28 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
The difference is that trolling is made to be funny more often than not, and spamming is just...spamming.

So, if trolling wasn't funny, you'd be just as against trolling as you are against spamming?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 4:20:59 PM
At 4/4/2012 4:14:46 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 4/4/2012 3:57:28 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
The difference is that trolling is made to be funny more often than not, and spamming is just...spamming.

So, if trolling wasn't funny, you'd be just as against trolling as you are against spamming?

Sure.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 4:31:07 PM
At 4/4/2012 3:56:25 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Well in that case the difference depends on how you define spam.

The Fool: those are my favourite. Lol. every word in the world depends on how its defines. its not exclusive to spam..lol
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 4:46:15 PM
At 4/4/2012 4:31:07 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 4/4/2012 3:56:25 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Well in that case the difference depends on how you define spam.

The Fool: those are my favourite. Lol. every word in the world depends on how its defines. its not exclusive to spam..lol

Obviously.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 5:09:08 PM
At 4/4/2012 3:40:37 PM, Wnope wrote:
I'm just curious, to those who think "trolling" should never be a basis for banning, why do you have a problem with forum spamming?

Well, no one really likes spam. It tastes bad and isn't the best meat to buy. That's why we get high quality meat, specifically from trollers.

I hope I answered your question.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 6:31:10 PM
Trolling is a an extreme position with no supporting evidence or argument usually accompanied by an insult of some kind. "Anyone who doesn't believe X is an idiot."

Spamming is repetition of any message in an unsolicited or inappropriate context. Forum spamming would be posting the same thing in a bunch of different forum topics when the post does not respond to the topic. For a while, any topic in Politics or Economics was being spammed with Ron Paul messages that didn't respond to the topic.

My view is that trolling is worse because the insults are likely to turn people away from the site. I think that spammers can just be warned and the spam deleted.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 6:33:17 PM
At 4/4/2012 5:09:08 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Well, no one really likes spam. It tastes bad and isn't the best meat to buy. That's why we get high quality meat, specifically from trollers.

Hawaiians like spam a lot. It goes good with poi.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 7:03:01 PM
At 4/4/2012 6:31:10 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Trolling is a an extreme position with no supporting evidence or argument usually accompanied by an insult of some kind. "Anyone who doesn't believe X is an idiot."

Spamming is repetition of any message in an unsolicited or inappropriate context. Forum spamming would be posting the same thing in a bunch of different forum topics when the post does not respond to the topic. For a while, any topic in Politics or Economics was being spammed with Ron Paul messages that didn't respond to the topic.

My view is that trolling is worse because the insults are likely to turn people away from the site. I think that spammers can just be warned and the spam deleted.

I agree.

As I said, this is geared towards those who don't consider trolling "bad" but dislike spam. Any rationale for why we shouldn't have non-commercial spam would apply to some degree to trolling.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 8:21:36 PM
At 4/4/2012 6:33:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Really? You wouldn't happen to be Hawaiian, would you?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 10:24:42 PM
trolling can be hysterical, spam pisses off everyone
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 10:38:02 PM
I wouldn't want to be a member of a site that's easy on spammers and hard on trolls.

That seriously sounds like basura.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 10:59:48 PM
At 4/4/2012 10:38:02 PM, Ren wrote:
I wouldn't want to be a member of a site that's easy on spammers and hard on trolls.

That seriously sounds like basura.

I wouldnt want to be on that site either, DDO is sort of the opposite of that though
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2012 11:55:59 PM
At 4/4/2012 8:21:36 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 4/4/2012 6:33:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Really? You wouldn't happen to be Hawaiian, would you?

No, I'm not Hawaiian. I go there fairly often. Spam is heavily salted pork fat. Poi tastes like wallpaper paste gone sour. But somehow they go together well. Hawaii has the highest per capita Spam consumption in the U.S., and also the best overall health of any state.

DDO is full of important facts.